Hereford talk

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts said:
Ya know now that I think about it...
I've not sold any herefords, but bought a couple pretty cheap. So what u say makes sense. Lol

Got a real nice bwf heifer out of one of em.
The other will either be bred to my bwf bull or charolais. Hopefully we know soon.

I think the Hereford dock is a sham byproduct of the black hided craze. Around here there is a serious dock for Hereford calves regardless of quality. It's quite a conundrum on the day to day I would much rather have Hereford cattle but then on sale day I wish they were black.

Most of the time they get docked because the order buyers are just not allowed to buy them. I have seen them at the bigger sales like at OKC where they will sell a uniform group of them and there is very little if any dock. I even thought of putting a load together to take advantage of the dock at sale barns where they sell one at a time.

It would probably work but around here there is not a lot of them that are good. It seems that the few that do come through are poor quality as all the better operators have moved on to something more desirable.

Isnt the easiest way to market hereford calves is run a black bull on the mamas? The bwf calves usually do well bout anywhere. Makes it hard to get replacement heifers that way I guess tho huh?

I hear ya on the sale barn hereford, bird dog.
Singles are usually just someones culls round here.
Of the 2 females I have, one has pretty long front toes. But she does well. Makes a good calf for selling.
The other is a heifer I bought in a mixed group. Bargain animals. She should calve this fall, now that I got my bull troubles over with for a bit. Shes a pretty good looking heifer really. I hope she does well.

I bought a registered hereford bull last year to put on my mutts. Mostly black hides mutts.
Fall is right around the corner. Super excited about the calves. Cant wait to see what I get.

MurraysMutts said:
Isnt the easiest way to market hereford calves is run a black bull on the mamas? The bwf calves usually do well bout anywhere. Makes it hard to get replacement heifers that way I guess tho huh?

Yes you are right those BWF calves usually sell as good or better than anything else. I do prefer the straight bred Hereford cattle to work with though on average it's apples and oranges comparison on ease of working Herefords vs Angus or even Angus sired calves. Don't get me wrong I love those Angus and BWF come sale time, but not so much on cow and or calf working days. :lol:

Ky hills said:
MurraysMutts said:

Yes you are right those BWF calves usually sell as good or better than anything else. I do prefer the straight bred Hereford cattle to work with though on average it's apples and oranges comparison on ease of working Herefords vs Angus or even Angus sired calves. Don't get me wrong I love those Angus and BWF come sale time, but not so much on cow and or calf working days. :lol:

Perhaps I've discovered why my 2 herefords were someone elses culls. They are ding bats in a pen!!
Run around like idiots looking for a door. Makes em easy to sort tho. They are the first ones to find the gate...

MurraysMutts said:
Ky hills said:
MurraysMutts said:

Perhaps I've discovered why my 2 herefords were someone elses culls. They are ding bats in a pen!!
Run around like idiots looking for a door. Makes em easy to sort tho. They are the first ones to find the gate...

Very possible, especially if you may have purchased one of them in Ky a couple weeks ago. :lol: We had a young cow that has always been flighty, gave me fits when trying to move them. Decided that when her calf got weaned and we caught her up at the barn lot she wasn't going anywhere but in a trailer. Most of our Herefords are calm and very easy to deal with, it's almost always some of our Angus cows that jump fences, try to climb the side of the barn. I have culled far more Angus than anything else, but no doubt other folks have different experiences it's just what ever genetics and or management scenarios the cattle have been dealt. Some of our worst ones have been BWF Angus Hereford cross, most are pretty good but have bought a few that were crazy. One cow would come at you from 100 feet away whether she had a calf on her or not.

If you got banned from that site you may as well just wear it as a badge of honor because many others were shown the door over the years too for no good reason other than you don't agree and conform with the website owner and his buddies views. There is a reason it basically has become a dead website because anyone with a differing opinion than about the handful of guys that are the only ones left posting there have all either been banned or run off for trying to have a 2 way discussion on various issues. There isn't much actual Hereford talk going on there these days and what little that is basically is the same handful of guys beating the same dead horse they have been for the past several years which is most Herefords are impure and breed associations are the devil.

It's been so dead on that site this year I honestly rarely even check HT anymore as there are Facebook groups and other websites out there that have much more content where you don't get censored or banned for contributing your opinions on them. I really enjoyed it when I first joined it as people would post pictures of their cattle, share stories, and overall was very civil to each other then at some point the tone of the site turned dark and the conspiracy theories and negativity took over and either chased off or banned anyone who had anything positive to say. Don't know how some people can live their lives being that unhappy and grumpy about petty things but if that is how they get their jollies then I guess that is how they choose to live their lives. Life is too short as it is to be mad at the world in my opinion, will enjoy life more by seeking out the positives rather than obsessing over the negatives.

SPH said:
If you got banned from that site you may as well just wear it as a badge of honor because many others were shown the door over the years too for no good reason other than you don't agree and conform with the website owner and his buddies views. There is a reason it basically has become a dead website because anyone with a differing opinion than about the handful of guys that are the only ones left posting there have all either been banned or run off for trying to have a 2 way discussion on various issues. There isn't much actual Hereford talk going on there these days and what little that is basically is the same handful of guys beating the same dead horse they have been for the past several years which is most Herefords are impure and breed associations are the devil.

It's been so dead on that site this year I honestly rarely even check HT anymore as there are Facebook groups and other websites out there that have much more content where you don't get censored or banned for contributing your opinions on them. I really enjoyed it when I first joined it as people would post pictures of their cattle, share stories, and overall was very civil to each other then at some point the tone of the site turned dark and the conspiracy theories and negativity took over and either chased off or banned anyone who had anything positive to say. Don't know how some people can live their lives being that unhappy and grumpy about petty things but if that is how they get their jollies then I guess that is how they choose to live their lives. Life is too short as it is to be mad at the world in my opinion, will enjoy life more by seeking out the positives rather than obsessing over the negatives.
Hereford Talk used to be a good forum.
I really enjoyed checking it daily, but when all the banning and deleting began, it was really off putting.

Latest posts