Hereford steer vs. Angus steer

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I've got 5 steers I'm going to sell for freezer beef and keep 1/2 of one for my family. I specifically chose 1 Hereford steer back on the spring because of his thick muscular frame. He has kept that thick muscularity and gained well, I know the Angus steers will most likely turn out well as I've had some from the same bull & cows. But I'm thinking I might try this Hereford steer as he looks like he might produce some serious red meat and I also have been thinking I would like to feed him for about 60 days straight corn and see how he turns out. I just haven't had any Hereford beef before and am wondering if it will better worse or no difference. Maybe there is really no way to tell until you just do it!

Angus Cowman":7e1fqz09 said:
When are you guys gonna learn to QUIT STIRRING THE $HIT
Any beef will marble and be good as long as it is fed well
I was just asking a serious question as I'm still relatively new to all of this. Sorry something so insignificant in the big scheme of life bothers you that much. :eek:

well i've got a holstein steer that is a test project for us too. he has been on cracked corn and a supplement that the mill said we need for his size for growth who knows for sure. we've never kept a calf to butcher before but if this bottle calf turns out ok we might even keep one of our own xbred steers to try. we've been told do not butcher a holstein until he's at least 1200# he's been in the lot with hay and corn/supplement for 60 days already and we are planning on feeding him another 60. is that to much? or to long?

tncattle":396m9lyr said:
Angus Cowman":396m9lyr said:
I was just asking a serious question as I'm still relatively new to all of this. Sorry something so insignificant in the big scheme of life bothers you that much. :eek:

He actually he should have told you that any beef with the marbling genetics will marble. No marbling genes , no marbling will occur, no matter how long you feed it or what you feed it. If the genes are there, the process starts at conception.
Valerie

The subject matter involved in this thread is so diverse at the present time, that I hesitated to get into it too deep. However I think that there should be some discussion concerning how to plan on acquiring "freezer beef". How to select feeders for the kind of eating characteristics that one should expect to find is crucial before spending the time and money and effort to have the marbling and tenderness and quality of beef that one should expect.

It seems to me that the discussions on this thread are really not the factors on which to focus. I would suggest that a deep [Search] on the Internet is in order to get the details on selecting, feeding, costs, time involved and NECESSARY GENETICS before wasting money, time and thought on specious talking points!

Valerie (vclavin) is right! Begin your learning process with her thoughts in mind.

DOC HARRIS

How long are you going to let it hang after you harvest it? The longer it hangs the more tender it should be. If your butcher will let it hang three weeks let it hang. We have not really change our feeding program in four years now and my clients get either black baldies or straight herefords. They dont choose or even know what they get, they just tell me a time frame they want their beef and that decides who gets what. I have had several that have had both kinds in the last two years and they just say it tastes so much better than store bought beef. They are happy and I am happy.

TN,

I just had a Hereford steer butchered. I chose that breed.
The porterhouse was well marbled and was great!
Tonight ill try the Rib Steak. :cboy:
The steer was 20 months with 45 days on ground ear corn and a 12-14% pellet
I sold 3/4 of him and no complaints.

I am a newbie and next time will do things a bit different for the ones i will sell or eat.
Like weaning time, I separated him from his mama but never fed any starter or grain just hay and grass up to the last 45 days. next ones will get a good starter feed for a period of time after weaning

PS, he hung (dry)over 20 days

Bill

tncattle":10kk1ike said:
I just haven't had any Hereford beef before and am wondering if it will better worse or no difference.
Could be any of those. Either way it won't mean anything beyond the characteristics of the carcasses you are comparing.

tncattle":19qw8pyw said:
Angus Cowman":19qw8pyw said:
Didn't bother me its just this has been hashed and rehasshed on here 1000 times
and yes I left a word out
of my original reply
ANY BEEF BREED will marble and be good as long as it is fed properly

I knew the Pompous ol wind bag that has never raised anything but a lap dog would jump in
and give a long drawn out response

but what Valerie said is pretty much dead on
Genetics play a pretty important role BUT almost any breed of BEEF steer today if fed properly should be as good as a steak you get at a GOOD butcher shop ( not Wally World)
I doubt seriously if I layed a herf, angus or another brreed of steaks on a plate that you could tell a nickels worth of difference

Tn,
What do you expect to pay for the corn? I've been doing 30% corn with the remainder being 13% course.
Probably cost 60% more than last year. OUCH!

Just had a steer that was 5 days shy of 17 months taken to the cooler today. Been feeding him for the last couple of months ground barley, bull developer (He was with my milk cow) and snuck him some soy bean meal in with the barley.
Butcher said he looked really good, but could have used about another 30 days on feed.

The best way to tell how an animal does is eat him. ;-) :D

We changed the genetics in our Herefords and noticed after that that the meat was more tender.

Let us know how he does.

AC my friend Kelly always complained her roasts never were as tender as mine; I told her it was our good Hereford beef.
Then the fight began. :D :D ;-)

about 15 years ago a friend of mine that owns a packing plant bought the row of champions at the indiana state fair. we hauled those steers home and when he had them hanging on the rail, there was almost no diffrence in the cattle. the maine had just a little larger rib eye was about it. David

S&S Farms":1zugqmvz said:
How long are you going to let it hang after you harvest it? The longer it hangs the more tender it should be. If your butcher will let it hang three weeks let it hang. We have not really change our feeding program in four years now and my clients get either black baldies or straight herefords. They dont choose or even know what they get, they just tell me a time frame they want their beef and that decides who gets what. I have had several that have had both kinds in the last two years and they just say it tastes so much better than store bought beef. They are happy and I am happy.

I always demand 21 day hanging, seems to be worth the wait.

I googled into this discussion "by accident", simply trying to learn if any advantages to buying (eating) Hereford or Angus beef, because CobornDelivers.com here in the Twin Cities, Minnesota, brags-up Hereford over Angus (first time I've seen that!)
As you know, there's been a lot of talk lately, about "grass-fed" beef, esp. author Pollan's book "Omnivores Dilemma" (my vegetarian-daughter gave it to me to read; cooled her jets when I explained that in the 50's & 60's, we ALWAYS raised Herefords on grass, garden was organic, etc, etc. Sure, there were antibiotics kept in the fridge, but rarely used. Our Herefords had a "little dairy cow" in 'em, from way back, in my Grandfather's day (we raised Hereford since about 1904, still Herefords there now, but pure-bred Hereford), on the Sheyenne River near Warwick, ND, "under new mgmt" since 1970. I'm not sure that I can tell any difference when I try Angus, either, BUT STILL WANT TO KNOW ANY OPINIONS YOU HAVE. The dairy in our breed, always brought more money @ auction, because of heavier calf weight, probably due to that residual dairy in the herd. Those we kept for "family beef" were finished w/mostly grass/hay. My own 4-H steers got middlin' red-ribbons, and sold very well (ALL 4-H beef in the 60's sold about twice market price to local cafes, etc, on up for grand champions, of course). Btw, my brother-in-law/neighbor farmer once said when we brought purchased Porterhouse steaks to a BBQ, years after retirement, "Y'know, I don't think I ever had a Porterhouse before!", until I asked him, "Jim, didn't you also butcher one of your steers every year, like we did? Then, you had Porterhouse every year!"... :nod: Anyway, there's the challenge to the Angus-guys in the room: rebuttal, please? w/o the attitude, please! And, what's the best "flank steak" for Rola polse?

I know how you all feel about show steers but I think you can throw them into this discussion since it is all about how you feed them (ok plus hair).
In the past 10 years we have fed Angus, Main/Angus, Main/Sim/Angus, Shorthorn, Main/Sim/Chi/Angus, and last but not least Main/SH/Chi/Sim/Angus. We select our calves for the end product, Fat Steers, not fat 8 weights.
We start them on feed as soon as we can, feeding 2 to 3 percent of their body weight, a Grower/Developer feed until they hit 1000 pounds and then we put them on a Finisher ration.
The sooner you get a calf on feed the better chance you have on getting good marbling on them, some marble better than others but we got marbling on them all.
We were finishing these calves out at 16 to 17 months anywhere from 1240 to 1450 pounds. Once they had smooth cover over the ribs and some fat developing on the tail head they were done.
My grand father was a dairyman, he fed out Holstein/Angus calves, fed them dairy ration the entire time, they were 24 months old or better when he processed them, the meat was excellent just took 6 to 8 months longer to get them where they needed to be.
Pick the right calf, feed it right, and wait until it is done. Shooting for a weight is were I think you run into problems, some finish at 1100 pounds other finish at 1400, feed them until their finished and you will like your end product more.
It may cost a little more but since you are the one eating it, aren't you worth it?
Here is one we raised
100_1751.jpg