Hereford registration question

Help Support CattleToday:

thendrix

Reaction score
I found a young hereford bull that I am interested in but have a question about registering him. The owner tells me he is out of registered stock but he didn't register the bull because he bought it for beef for a customer. He has decided to sell the bull because he says he is to good a calf to kill. Like I said, he doesn't have papers but can put me in contact with the breeder that he bought the bull from. I feel it is safe to say the breeder won't remember this animal off the top of their head as he's 8 months old and this guy has had him for a while. What do I need to look for so the breeder could ID this bull and get his info to get him registered? I have never dealt with registered cattle but this looks like a good bull at what I would assume is a resonable price. Any help?

You might want to get ahold of the original breeder and find out what they need to register it and how much you'll have to pay extra to get it registered. Many seedstock producers sell bull calves as unregistered because they don;t want tehhir name associated with particular animals.

walk off from that deal now.because youll never be able to get the papers on that bull calf.i tryed what your wanting todo,an i never got the papers on heifer.i messed with trying to get them for a year,then i gave up an sold the heifer.

thendrix":3orha0cv said:
I found a young hereford bull that I am interested in but have a question about registering him. The owner tells me he is out of registered stock but he didn't register the bull because he bought it for beef for a customer. He has decided to sell the bull because he says he is to good a calf to kill. Like I said, he doesn't have papers but can put me in contact with the breeder that he bought the bull from. I feel it is safe to say the breeder won't remember this animal off the top of their head as he's 8 months old and this guy has had him for a while. What do I need to look for so the breeder could ID this bull and get his info to get him registered? I have never dealt with registered cattle but this looks like a good bull at what I would assume is a resonable price. Any help?

Since I read elsewhere that you aren't breeding for pedigrees(registration?), my question would be why would you want the papers? The papers will have absolutely no effect on how the bull breeds/produces.

George

If you can prove your calves come from good\registered stock it seems to add value. Anybody can tell you the calves come from registered stock but if you have the papers to prove it you're more likely to get a better price. Besides that I am probably going to buy the bull because he looks like he could be a good herd bull and the price seems right. I figure the papers would just make him that much more valuable if it's not to much trouble. Besides in the future I may decide to go to registered breeding. If it was with the same bull the process would have to be done anyway.

thendrix":3rtimyh2 said:
If you can prove your calves come from good\registered stock it seems to add value. Anybody can tell you the calves come from registered stock but if you have the papers to prove it you're more likely to get a better price. Besides that I am probably going to buy the bull because he looks like he could be a good herd bull and the price seems right. I figure the papers would just make him that much more valuable if it's not to much trouble.

OK, I was just trying to figure out your thinking. Personally, I wouldn't buy a bull unless I knew something about his pedigree, but I know some folks don't care, as long as there's "papers".

Bear in mind that the breeder is going to pay $25 to register a calf that age plus $5 to transfer him. Additionally, if he hasn't paid his dues this year(due September 1), he'll pay $15 plus $100 for his Annual Member Service fee. So registering that calf for you might actually cost him $145.

Seems like there must have been some reason the calf was sold for a beef calf instead of being raised for a breeding bull. If i sell someone one for a beef calf you can bet it will never be registered and won't have balls when it leaves this farm.

Red Bull Breeder":1t3y80c2 said:
Seems like there must have been some reason the calf was sold for a beef calf instead of being raised for a breeding bull. If i sell someone one for a beef calf you can bet it will never be registered and won't have balls when it leaves this farm.

While they might still be intact when they left, I agree with you. I don't think there is any amount of "reasonable money" someone could pay me to go back and register a bull calf after he'd been sold off as an animal strictly for beef several months back. I guess if someone wanted to pay me a totally unreasonable amount, I might go ahead and do it - once I was completely satisfied it was indeed the same calf - but only after I told them how foolish I thought it was for them to pay what it would take.

George

Thanks to everybody. You all bring good points. I didn't realize there was so much expense in registering. I am going to have a good close look at him soon as I still think he would make a good commercial bull registered or not. Thanks again

I'm with Red bull breeder on this, but if you insist on using him (regardless of whether its registered or commercial), atleast call the breeder and find out why he culled the calf, as breeders tend not to let good bull prospects go for freezer beef.

More info on the bull: I talked to the people that bought the bull from the original breeder. She told me the original breeder had about 400 cows, 4 chicken houses, and 6 kids. She said that he was so covered up at the time that registering cattle was pretty far down on his list. She did not know the bloodline but she is supposed to get me the original breeders contact information so I should be able to find out more in the future.

Latest posts