Hereford question

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley":30n7sfew said:
It would seem to me that if a trait not being selected for, especially in a herd being linebred, it will gravitate towards the herd average.

I think Jim Lents would argue your assumption. He states:

1. Linebreeding intensifies all traits with equal pressure (both good and bad traits)
2. Linebreeding concentrates everything you "specifically select "for" and anything you "don't specifically select against"

As an example, say you linebreed on a bull with a poor tail set and don't specifically cull against poor tail sets. Eventually you'll end up with a linebred herd with poor tail sets. That's why you need to start with an individual as close to ideal as possible and have a clear "vision" in your mind's eye of the "ideal" animal.

JH

I figured out what I was doing the other day, when I was going through the linebreeding selection and mating process in my mind, (thats where I went wrong, I thought about it ) :lol: for some reason I was selecting for the average, without realizing I was doing it at the time. Next time I'll think a little longer before I run my mouth. ;-) Thanks for the help though.

Latest posts