hereford longevity

Help Support CattleToday:

beefsbest

Reaction score
I am new at this and have hereford heifers.. how many productive years can I expect out of these girls? They are not registered and the owners of the dams have limited info available...no WW, or epds on them or the bull as they are a ranch operation with limited facilities. I know that is not much to go on but wondered if there is a ballpark for the productive years. Thanks :D

The first year is the hardest; but if they all calf out ok, rebreed, and don't fall apart in that first lactation. Those that surive to have the second calf if they don't have to walk 6 miles a day for water and have plenty of mineral and have hay when needed and enough energy and protein in their diet and keep them current on their vaccinations a few will fall out due to coming up open, bloat, or sudden illness or injury; you should still have 3/4s of them with you when they are 12 and if they come from really good stock most of those cows should still be there at 15. After that their teeth start to go and they start dropping out at a pretty fast rate, especially when competing for a slot with their (hopefully superior)heifer granddaughters.

It all depends on the indiviual cow and how it's care for and fed throughout it's life. Also how well it does in its enviroment. With that said, a ball park figure would be 10 to 15 years. Some go older some younger.

Welcome to the boards.
Alan

We keep them til they either got a problem or bring in a small calf. That normally happens in our herd around 10 years and older.
Our cousin kept one til she was 15. Had a good calf up to that age.

Thanks for the info. These girls are on timothy hay and alfalfa, pretty much all they'll eat (very little alfalfa)... I am watching their body condition since they will be calving in March,April. I had the timothy tested and it's RFV is 91 %(dry), & 14.1% protein. They are current on vaccs and have access to selenium salt blocks and good water. Just added 8 more from same ranch and they seem to be doing fine. :D

Our Herefords are ready to be sold when they are 8 year olds they lose their productivity after this,besides they have to make way for younger females. Our Herefords are commercial and are on what would be classed as soft country,though its harsh here in winter for Australian standards.We keep our South Devons to about 12 and our Brahmans about the same age.
Colin

Latest posts