Hereford Historical/Pedigree Information

Help Support CattleToday:

Sweet T Farm

Reaction score
We're fairly new Hereford breeders, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest where we could read up on the past history of the breed, with special emphasis on what's been happening in the past 10 to 20 years. Thanks in advance!

I guess what we're looking for is more of an editorial on why a particular bull is "Hot" at any time in history...

Hereford World is loaded with ads, but what particular bull is going to look best in a pedigree, and bring me the most $$$?

I realize this really takes years and years in the business, I just wanted a bit of a jump start in understanding it all.

Sweet T Farm":1n25npqf said:
I guess what we're looking for is more of an editorial on why a particular bull is "Hot" at any time in history...

Hereford World is loaded with ads, but what particular bull is going to look best in a pedigree, and bring me the most $$$?

I realize this really takes years and years in the business, I just wanted a bit of a jump start in understanding it all.

yes, that will take time & studying. keep in mind that some of the "Hot" bulls are only "Hot" temporarily......maybe national champion this year & then next year his calves hit the ground & are duds so he's no longer "Hot". also keep in mind that people look at different things in a pedigree. what i might consider a good bloodline in there, someone else may want no part of.

txag":3qu5237o said:
Sweet T Farm":3qu5237o said:

yes, that will take time & studying. keep in mind that some of the "Hot" bulls are only "Hot" temporarily......maybe national champion this year & then next year his calves hit the ground & are duds so he's no longer "Hot". also keep in mind that people look at different things in a pedigree. what i might consider a good bloodline in there, someone else may want no part of.

Very true txag as what I look for in a Hereford is not real popular today. I still look to the old bloodlines of moderate size, and I want my Herefords painted not these Simm looking crosses.

Latest posts