hereford heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

wvherefords

Reaction score
Looking for some input/constructive criticism/etc on these two heifers. It'll be my son's first time showing. We chose our only two heifers from 2005 and will be showing just in the two small local shows for fun. No grand dillusions that these are great show heifers by any stretch of the imagination. But, definitely interested in realistic insights so we can learn what to look for in the future...

#14 calved 3/31/2005 (bred by us)
#15 calved 6/23/2005 (bought at a state Reg. Hereford sale last October as part of a three for one).

heifer141a.jpg

heifer153a.jpg

[/img]

Structurally not too bad -- but they need a LOT more weight. You need them to look like beef cows, not holsteins. Put them on a good grain ration, worm them, and put up some more pictures in about 3 months. I'll bet there'll be a big difference.

thanks. that is exactly my take too... I had them out in the pasture until about a month ago when I brought them up for halter breaking/grain. They were on a pretty light amount of grain (one large scoop per heifer twice a day) plus lots of good hay. Seems I should have worked them up to a lot more grain than I did...

learning as I go...

thanks!

Both look a little fine boned mayby and in need of a little more conditioning. Mayby pinched in the heart a little to. Good looking heifers to start with. Be carefull and dont try to overfeed them. Good luck and have fun thats what it is all about. JHH

They're nice heifers I bet they'll look stunning when they are all filled out. Cuz like milkmaid said, they're lookin like our black and whites now. You're son will have a blast with them :)

my opinion on these two girls are the first one with some more feed might not be a bad show calf but the second one for me she needs more bone and more weight she just isn't show cattle type for me anyways

But your son will have a blast showin', i miss it already!

definitely learned a lot this weekend... nowhere to go but up for us, but its going to be fun. learned a lot from other farmers at the show about conditioning, feeding, etc and plan to work hard with my son this summer to get these two into more proper condition. one thing I think I'm good at, if nothing else, is taking advice, so I appreciate every comment made on these two heifers. I look forward to posting new pictures in early August to see how we've progressed...

thanks.

milkmaid":2e4c9sgt said:
Structurally not too bad -- but they need a LOT more weight. You need them to look like beef cows, not holsteins. Put them on a good grain ration, worm them, and put up some more pictures in about 3 months. I'll bet there'll be a big difference.

i agree i like them i think they just need some feed and wormer.

I would say the biggest advantage in working with this first heifer is her hair. It looks to be more workable. Get her wormed, vacinated, and going on a good Show Feed, plus you should add a good mineral pack (Vita-Ferm, ADM, ShowBloom). Push her hard and get her up to 25 -30 lbs./day as quickly as possible and keep her there 'til she's rolly polly fat. All the while, rinse every day, and wear out a Rice Root Brush on her this summer. Try to keep her out of the sun and under fans during the daylight hours. She just might surprise you. ;-)

AAOK":2kof1569 said:
I would say the biggest advantage in working with this first heifer is her hair. It looks to be more workable. Get her wormed, vacinated, and going on a good Show Feed, plus you should add a good mineral pack (Vita-Ferm, ADM, ShowBloom). Push her hard and get her up to 25 -30 lbs./day as quickly as possible and keep her there 'til she's rolly polly fat. All the while, rinse every day, and wear out a Rice Root Brush on her this summer. Try to keep her out of the sun and under fans during the daylight hours. She just might surprise you. ;-)
This is good info - but TAKE IT SLOW. Increase every 7 days. Do not increase if they are not cleaning up their grain. Also, feed really good grass hay - all they want, but only as much as they will clean up. Keep it fresh.

Latest posts