• no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no herefords ever

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LFF

Reaction score
OK folks , I've been listening to your comments about posted pictures and am willing to put my bacon in the frying pan. This heifer is 17 months old and I believe that I know her flaws , but I'd like your imput good and bad. She is registered and I will provide you with her epd's at a later time.

grassie2.jpg

LFF":2g91w0ne said:
OK folks , I've been listening to your comments about posted pictures and am willing to put my bacon in the frying pan. This heifer is 17 months old and I believe that I know her flaws , but I'd like your imput good and bad. She is registered and I will provide you with her epd's at a later time.

grassie2.jpg

This picture is probably not fair to the heifer. It would be nice if you could post another pic or two of her that may have her in a better position to judge length, depth, thickness, etc.... I would like to see a couple of more views if possible.

This pic is just not very flattering for her.

Can you make it bigger too? What is her hip ht. and her wt.?

Well I saved the image and opened it up in my MSpaint program; then stretched her out so the image filled the screen. She looks like there is a little too much slope from her hooks to her pins, she is perhaps a little throaty for a Hereford Heifer, a little short necked, a little fine boned, MAYBE a little slight (frame score 4...maybe), and I don't like the set to her rear feet at all (but this is just one photo of her on unlevel ground so her next step could clear that perception up). I would really like to see this heifer move; but she is clearly eating well so is moving around well enough it appears . I like her overall style, level top, adequate length, femininity and eye appeal and she is a wide sprung young heifer who should grow into a very high capacity easy keeping kind of cow. I am seeing what looks like a very well developed mammary vein for a 17 month old heifer. That with her wide sprung appearence makes me wonder if she is bred? I would prefer to breed her now so if she is 5 months or more along; that could be a problem. I would like a dozen like her in the fall of 06 though.

It's hard to tell from the picture- but she looks very similar to the one I have in the pasture. I guess that means I"d take her :) I think she looks like an easy keeper- and round in ribs.
Where is the mammary vein? I'd like to check my heifer's.
On another post I asked about using the heart girth for weight estimating- My heifer, 16 months has a girth of 72 inches. Comes out to 1049 lbs- she was 490 lbs when I bought her at the end of November.Like I said not sure if this is an accurate method. Do you know the weight or girth of this heifer?

Susie

susie":38w5tqc9 said:
Where is the mammary vein? I'd like to check my heifer's.

The "milk vein" is the big subcutaneous vein one can see going from the udder of the cow forward past the naval. In dairy cattle judging they like to see a very big pronounced milk vein because they believe it is an indicator of a heavy milker.

http://www.m-w.com/mw/art/cow.htm

The milk veins are really well pronounced in these Boliver (a Holstein) daughters...
http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/MilkPhotos. ... =29HO10124

Like the others have said, from the picture it is really hard to say. My first impression is she is smallish for her age but that could be the picture too.

Brandonm2":1iv94yzm said:
That with her wide sprung appearence makes me wonder if she is bred? I would prefer to breed her now so if she is 5 months or more along; that could be a problem. I would like a dozen like her in the fall of 06 though.

She was AI'ed 11 weeks ago to Schu-Lar 5N of 9L. He is a low birth weight bull that I've been told is producing mid 70 pound calves. I have not weighed her but I believe that she weights approximately 800-850 lbs.

I'm stilling trying to learn how to post a larger picture. Any help?

LFF":2cj1nqim said:
I'm stilling trying to learn how to post a larger picture. Any help?

Well I have never posted a picture on these boards until now..
grassie4.jpg

All I did was save your little picture as a My picture document then I clicked on it to view it in the Windows 'Fax and Picture Viewer' then rightclicked on it and clicked "Open with" then "Paint".

Once I had it in MS Paint I selected "Image" then "stretch skew" and changed the horizontal and vertical numbers from 100% to ~350%. I Saved that file and uploaded it to my new photo bucket account. Then copied that here.

There probably is a more elegant way to do this; but I don't mess with pictures much so kind of went by feel with this.

Do you have the upgraded photobucket account? I only have the freebee account presently and it only allows you to save a 25k picture. I think that the account that you pay for allows you to save a 1G picture.

NO I am running with the free one too. All my pic is is an enlargement of your original small photo so it is not high DPI.

Well, from my view point, she is not a bad looking heifer at all. From the view that I am seeing posted, she looks a little thin in the hind quarter and lacks a little in the flank area. Other than that, she has great depth, legth of skeleton, and a real pretty feminine appearence. I think she has a little much pigmentation for me, but cross her up with a not such much pigmented bull when you breed her, you won't go wrong. I suggest you breed her to my favorite herd sire, DR World Class 517 10H. He is a awesome bull. Thake a look for yourself at http://www.hereford.org, and going to semen catalog. Then scroll down and click on 2005 AI summary. It should have out from it, 111 herdsires. Ok, click on it and scroll down till you find the name, DR World Class 517 10H. YOu won't go wrong. He makes top of the crop calves. Take care and wish you the best of luck. :cboy:

Wow!!! Her EPDs were a lot better than I would have guessed (they make me doubt my guess on her size). She is low birthweight, high growth, high milk, AND has good carcass and scrotal circumference EPDs and performs at the top in all the moneymaker predictions. If she lives up to all those numbers she needs to become a donor cow and then be cloned en route to becoming the Hereford association poster child. Feed her enough to get her through this first calf and rebred and she should be a HECK of a cow for a long time to come.

I don't know about the poster child ideal LOL. :lol:

I am planning to use her for a donor in a year or two.
She is on fescue and is growing well , however if I could get her on better grasses it would improve her condition.

I wish that I had a entire herd like her. I would like to see her be a bit longer in length.

She was listed in the top 200 heifer calves for 2002-2003 calves on three on the profit indexes. I hope that she lives up to her EPD's.

If the bull that she is bred to (42375618) preforms like his EPD's suggest , I should have a nice calve from her. I sure hope that she does not have problems calving next March.
That is part of the reason that I posted her picture.

I have not had the time to get a better and larger picture due to work. I hope to do so next week.

I will be working my herd in a couple of weeks and will get the measurements that you folks have asked for. I do not know her birth weigh , however I believe that I can find it and will list it.

I enjoy my herefords very much and hope to someday produce seedstock that will be worthy for anyone to add value to their herds.

She would be welcome on our farm...got a nice red anugs bull to keep her company, (for a litttle while anyway.)
Not a great picture but shows that she is a good heifer.

Your heifer is bred to a really good RRH Mr Felt 3008 son, SCHU-LAR 5N of 9L 3008. He is being used by Virginia Tech and they bred him to about 9 cows. They were Z03 daughters they bred him too. I think he will do an excellent job on heifers and yes you should have a great calf. the Schu-lar herd is a great cow herd in Kansas. Did you ever think about using DR World Class 517 10H? This would make for a line-bred Feltons 517 calf? Take care. :cboy:

I looked long and hard at using him and have not ruled him out. I like most of his epd's , however I feel like he is not a breed mover on carcass epd's. He appears to need a little less back fat and more IMF.

I chose the Schu-lar bull because of his carcass epd numbers. He does not have as good epd's as world class in the groweth area , but I believe that for Herefords to compete with Angus , hereford seedstock breeders must improve their carcass values.

LFF":3h58ibtb said:
I believe that for Herefords to compete with Angus , hereford seedstock breeders must improve their carcass values.

That's the only real complaint I;ve had about Herefords, seems like to get the marbleing you get too much BF. But with the right cows they still work well

dun

Latest posts