Hereford heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

WisRose

Reaction score
What do you think of this heifer? P42460549
Sired by GMPH LHF VOO DOO 17D Would she make a good herd addition?

What's the purpose of your herd??? If you're buying registered Hereford heifers to begin a seedstock program, I'd think there should be much better options. If you're planning to sell the calves at the local auction barn, then she could possibly be ok.

Her calving ease EPD almost max's the scale for Herefords to the negative side, so I'd be VERY sure to breed her to calving ease bulls only. Her heifers wouldn't do very well in the calving ease catagory as well. At best, breeding her to a calving ease bull might get her daughter's calving ease EPD back to something around average. That would work if that calving ease bull's WW and YW EPD's needed her help.

Now, if you plan to breed her to an Angus bull with good BW and CE EPD's to get a black baldie, she should be fine.

That's just by the "numbers." I think there's more to "this game" than just looking at the numbers. I wouldn't buy a registered heifer without being able to see the sire and dam myself. I've also seen pedigree EPD's be off considerably in both directions. Remember, non of us have even seen this heifer in question, much less her dam & sire. What does her dam look like? How heavy have her dam's calves been in the past? Does Voo Doo 17D have many calves on the ground, and how heavy have they been? Does your planned breeding bull have average or better M and M&G EPD's? Can he help her calving ease direct and calving ease maternal EPD's as well?

Personally, based upon what I know, I wouldn't buy her unless she was a real bargain.

Thanks rwtherefords. Actually my husband brought there two home last night. He went to a beef production sale and got them for $900. each. We aren't into the seedstock business, so I could breed her with angus. Here is her picture. Her weight is 835#.

Remedy.jpg

Here is another yearling heifer, she's a simmental. Her weight is 970#
Brandy.jpg

that CE & BW epd came from her maternal grandsire (Basic). there were many calving wrecks with Basic and even with some of his sons. i haven't heard of too many problems from his daughters and granddaughters, though. imo, she may still be ok. of course, for her first calf, i'd be especially careful. breed her to something with high CE & watch her closely.

If she were mine, I think I'd put her with a good Angus bull that had a decent CE EPD. She should produce a dandy baldy calf, which would probably put the most $$$ in your pocket anyway.

Do you think VPI Limited Edition J921 who has a CE of +8.0 and a BW +0.4 would be a good choice for her? I am also looking at Feltons Legend 242 for my other two herefords, his CE is 7.2, BW -0.6 would you gamble on using him on the above mentioned heifer whos CE is -10, BW +7.3. I might look into a red angus bull to use, any suggestions on a sure bet calving ease one?

WisRose":1bc1zzrg said:
Do you think VPI Limited Edition J921 who has a CE of +8.0 and a BW +0.4 would be a good choice for her? I am also looking at Feltons Legend 242 for my other two herefords, his CE is 7.2, BW -0.6 would you gamble on using him on the above mentioned heifer whos CE is -10, BW +7.3. I might look into a red angus bull to use, any suggestions on a sure bet calving ease one?

I don't know first hand but I've heard through the grapevine and from a relative that Limited Edition might not throw quite as small of a BW calf as his EPD suggests.

Legend on the other hand, I would say would be as good a choice as any if you are wanting to moderate those maternal traits and still get decent carcass values. I know several seedstock producers around here that use Legend extensively. Here are Legends numbers for this spring, they are actually a little better than what you posted above.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i4.dll?1=232B21&2=242D&3=56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5A5D5C5B5922582620

One for sure dead bang easy calving Red Angus that will give you some dandy F1 heifers is Basin Hobo 79E #492175 from ABS. One we haven't used yet but from the people I've talked to that have used him really liked his calving ease is LCC Above & Beyond 1300J #662722 also from ABS.
BC Hobo 1961 #307777 was a disaster and uglied up the teats, i.e. long and large diameter. Not too large but larger then I like.
We had one Limited Edition calf out of a mature cow, calf was small. That was the calf that I described the birthing of that it came so easy that the sack didn;t even tear until the cow stood up.
We used Feltons Domino 774 #23864055 and those calves really came easy, but that was from second calvers.

dun

First calf?

Put a Longhorn in her and forget about any problems.

Bez

We just bred a heifer to Buffalo Creek Romeo. He is an ABS bull. Balanced set of EPDs. Good performance on him. Reports are that his calves come easy and have good vigor.

Thanks for the recomendations! Think I will pass on the longhorn though, don't see too many of them around here. I will have to check with the neighbor he had some SS Traveler T510 (black angus) in his tank that he said I could have. I've heard he throws smaller calves. I would prefer red angus. Like the red color.

The easiest calving blk Angus bull we ever used was Hoff Northlander. Calves were 7-10 early and ran around 50 lbs out of mature cows. Grew to be monsters as yearlings. But these cows had the milk to support the growth. There may still be some of that floating around in tanks besides ours.

dun