Hereford Heifer (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

CPL

Reaction score
About 8 months... she definitely changing. All opinions/comments welcome.

HPIM5570.jpg

HPIM5573.jpg

HPIM5571.jpg

Nice heifer, what are your goals with her. We raise club calves so if I had to change her I'd clean up the front end and give a little more bone. I really like her depth and thickness.

Overall very good heifer, will make a nice easy keeping cow with enough muscle.

If I have to find fault, she is slightly straighter than ideal in the hocks and a little steep in the rear pasterns. But she is only a calf and alot will still change.

She looks a lot like a heifer that I have in my show string. Looks a little pinched in the heart and that makes her go into her shoulder a little harder. But I really like her, and before getting her a sweat I would just see how she looks standing with her head up... sure helps mine!

A little OTT, where does the trend with neck sweats come from?

In my experience heifers (or any animal for that matter) that display extra hide in the dewlap, neck and brisket area tend to be the easy doing animals in the herd.

iowahawkeyes":3ql5iur5 said:
Nice heifer, what are your goals with her. We raise club calves so if I had to change her I'd clean up the front end and give a little more bone. I really like her depth and thickness.

I haven't exactly decided what to do with her actually. Her paternal genetics are not in line with the type of cattle I hope to one day produce, so it could be that she'll be my "show cow". Hopefully she'll give me some calves that will compete in the show ring. She really is turning into a thick little thing.

In my experience heifers (or any animal for that matter) that display extra hide in the dewlap, neck and brisket area tend to be the easy doing animals in the herd.

I have heard this too, and I believe it, for the most part, to be true. That is why I am wondering how much, if any, I should try to clean her front end up. I guess you can get docked pretty hard in the show ring for being sloppy fronted, but the show ring lasts about 2 yrs. After that, I will expect them to fair well on pasture/mineral supplement.

CPL":13jqplgi said:
iowahawkeyes":13jqplgi said:

I haven't exactly decided what to do with her actually. Her paternal genetics are not in line with the type of cattle I hope to one day produce, so it could be that she'll be my "show cow". Hopefully she'll give me some calves that will compete in the show ring. She really is turning into a thick little thing.

I have heard this too, and I believe it, for the most part, to be true. That is why I am wondering how much, if any, I should try to clean her front end up. I guess you can get docked pretty hard in the show ring for being sloppy fronted, but the show ring lasts about 2 yrs. After that, I will expect them to fair well on pasture/mineral supplement.

If you are going to take all the brisket and backfat away from herefords, you might just as well raise shorthorn, that is what makes them easier keeping, the ability to lay on fat in good times to use as energy reserves in harder times.

A little wastey in the front, I think the legs are fine. She appears to have enough depth and rib and a nice level top.

In my opinion, I would not go forward with showing her. Don't get me wrong, she is a nice heifer, however, she is wasty fronted and lacking in style and show appeal. I do admire her for her fleshing ability and thickness. Nice heifer, but I would not show her if she were mine. If she is not in line with the type of genetics you would like, I would suggest breeding her to a clean fronted bull with the desired genetics for a replacement. I believe she will make a good easy keeping cow.

JR Cattle Co.":2x4fa5wv said:
In my opinion, I would not go forward with showing her.

I'll be showing her either way because I just want to for fun. Not expecting anything big from her. Will be paying attention to judges' comments, etc. The learning part comes first, followed by fun at a close second. We'll also be fixing up some other things as we expect atleast one more will be with us next fall.

Avalon":302j9jel said:
If you are palnning on showing her, Get a sweat collar NOW!
Other than that area she looks pretty good.

Sorry, but could someone explain what a sweat collar is.... I dont show beef, only dairy and have never heard this term before.

funky 4-Her":jlqds4k3 said:
Avalon":jlqds4k3 said:

Sorry, but could someone explain what a sweat collar is.... I dont show beef, only dairy and have never heard this term before.
How dont you show beef? you showed a limmi calf last year or somethin like that.

It is a collar you stick around their neck and you leave it on them for about 6-12 hours a day, and it makes them sweat, and it will make their dewlap smaller

funky 4-Her":1hu4swoi said:
Avalon":1hu4swoi said:

A sweat collar is like a brace that goes around the neck.... you can spray stuff on the neck first that helps.....but the idea is to make the calf sweat off the fatty neck.