hereford heifer and bullcalf

Help Support CattleToday:

Once again Harley, I thank you for sharing some of your great looking stock. I really like the heifer, I'm sure just because I'm wishing for a bunch of heifers and cow like that. Very deep and deep in the hip, very solid all the way around.... both of them.

But, I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what is meant a "cleaner front end". Would someone mind describing it in detail using the pic of Harley's heifer? I understand it's tough and ackward to tear apart a nice heifer from a great herd... PM if you would like.... Maybe you can help me on this Harley. :tiphat:

Thanks,
Alan

KNERSIE":39d40b73 said:
.... well adapted animal to subtropical conditions....

So I can get a corresponding frame of reference in the Northern Hemisphere, what latitude is your place at? I've always had the mindset that you were located further from the equator than I am.

George

Herefords.US":3cq1hia9 said:
KNERSIE":3cq1hia9 said:
.... well adapted animal to subtropical conditions....

So I can get a corresponding frame of reference in the Northern Hemisphere, what latitude is your place at? I've always had the mindset that you were located further from the equator than I am.

George

I'll have to look it up on Google Earth, will get back to you.

My climate isn't subtropical, I was referring to what Bonsma said. My climate is hard to describe, the Cape peninsula has a mediteranean climate, but I am about two hours east of that on the dry side o fthe mountain. It gets much colder and hotter here with summer max temps as high as 115F, minimum temps in winter about 24F if my convertions are correct.

I am about on the same lattitude as Cape Town if that helps at all.

It's been a while since I've seen a Hereford cow with the "reverse" wedge shape.

Just page through Hereford World and you'll see a few.

They look like really nice calves. My opinion, their fronts are fine and I am partial to clean fronted cattle. I think it is an indication of trimness and yield...ie: greasier cattle have heavier front ends. It would have to be alot heavier fronted than these for me to be concerned. What bloodlines are they?

KNERSIE":2zphpqld said:
It's been a while since I've seen a Hereford cow with the "reverse" wedge shape.

Just page through Hereford World and you'll see a few.

I may need your help on this like I did on the "eyeset" thing. I'm visualizing a shape more American bison-like - as what you're referring to as a reverse wedge.

George

Herefords.US":ynmljs0m said:
greenwillowhereford II":ynmljs0m said:
I am another that shakes my head at all the worry over "clean fronted."

Yet, you critcized a bull calf on another thread for the lack of a "featherneck". What does THAT have to do with "real world beef production"?

George

As I recall, I said for my personal taste. I happen to love the classic Hereford coloring. That's all I'll say here.

greenwillowhereford II":1mj87vtf said:
Herefords.US":1mj87vtf said:
greenwillowhereford II":1mj87vtf said:
I am another that shakes my head at all the worry over "clean fronted."

Yet, you critcized a bull calf on another thread for the lack of a "featherneck". What does THAT have to do with "real world beef production"?

George

As I recall, I said for my personal taste. I happen to love the classic Hereford coloring. That's all I'll say here.

Which is EXACTLY the same reason I gave for liking them "clean fronted"!

greenwillowhereford II":fcom662y said:
I like them both, and they are what I expect from your operation. I am another that shakes my head at all the worry over "clean fronted."

If I were selling a registered hereford.......I would generally think I would be penalized financially for the lack of a featherneck and I would not be penalized financially for the lack of a clean font. Likewise, if the animal was not dark red or had allot of white, I think I would get a market deduct.

HerefordSire":359s5c1c said:
greenwillowhereford II":359s5c1c said:
I like them both, and they are what I expect from your operation. I am another that shakes my head at all the worry over "clean fronted."

If I were selling a registered hereford.......I would generally think I would be penalized financially for the lack of a featherneck and I would not be penalized financially for the lack of a clean font. Likewise, if the animal was not dark red or had allot of white, I think I would get a market deduct.

As far as registered Hereford, there are some breeders who would discount individuals for ANY of the above - as well as a myriad of other traits, including pedigree and EPDs.

As far as "real world beef production" goes, the principal penalty would be because of their RED COLOR. I doubt anything else listed would matter much.

George

Herefords.US":10ktf096 said:
As far as "real world beef production" goes, the principal penalty would be because of their RED COLOR. I doubt anything else listed would matter much.

George

Why does this have to be? I have seen some superior red calves go for almost nothing while the poor doing black calf gets a premium. Just makes me mad.

I have to get back to work.Talk later tonight. JHH

JHH":1fj72b4x said:
Herefords.US":1fj72b4x said:

George

Why does this have to be? I have seen some superior red calves go for almost nothing while the poor doing black calf gets a premium. Just makes me mad.

I have to get back to work.Talk later tonight. JHH

Is "losing" connected to anger?

Nice stock Knersey. I might prefer a wee bit more spring of rib in the bull calf but he's certainly thick.

HerefordSire":3014d1yo said:
ollie?":3014d1yo said:
Nice stock Knersey. I might prefer a wee bit more spring of rib in the bull calf but he's certainly thick.

He may be the next "hot one". :mrgreen:

only if harley name's him jalapeno! :lol:

I like them both. Have to remind myself that you are just coming out of winter coats where I saw a couple of mine today looking like they are just starting to put one on.

Best of all it's good to have you back here.

I really like the bull. The heifer is a little too masculine in the front for my tastes, but would still give her a go. :cowboy:

Latest posts