Hereford/gert cross heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Sd1030

Reaction score
I have a hereford x gert heifer that i keep for a replacement just for kicks and giggles to see what kind of cow she would make. My question is what age do most of these crosses start coming into heat? I know from what ive heard the brahman influenced cattle usually are a little later in cycling compared to other cattle. Shes approximatley 16 mos old and has come into heat the 3 times that i know of. My biggest concern is that she may be a late breeder and im working toward having a closer calving season, so i dont want that if thats the case. Im just not familar with them that much a d was curious if its typical for them to get breed until they reach a certain age due to the brahman influence. I may have anwsered my own question here, but thanks in advance for any input.

While it's true that some Brahman influenced cattle are slower to mature, that cross only has 3/16 Brahman blood. And if she's already cycled 3 times why are you concerned with her being a late breeder?

Sd1030":hlrhgue5 said:
I have a hereford x gert heifer.... She's approximately 16 mos old and has come into heat 3 times that I know of.
I may have answered my own question here, but thanks in advance for any input.
Yes you did and she's ready to breed whenever you are.

The reason i expresses concern is because shes already been exposed to a bull. I guess should have worded my question better. I guess what im curious about is do these crosses have to be closer to 18-20 months before they actually get bred? My gut is saying i may need to just send her own down the road, but i wasnt sure if the fact she hasnt caught yet could be due the brahman in her. Prolly a really dumb question but figured it couldnt hurt to get some input.

What kind of bull has she been exposed to? As long as it's a calving ease bull I wouldn't worry about this heifer any more than I would a heifer of any other breed.

Shes been exposed to a balancer bull, by his epds hes suppose to be a calving ease bull. Im not real worried bout it im just trying to get a more defined calving season instead of a wide one.

Sd1030":1qqmhkoy said:
I have a hereford x gert heifer that i keep for a replacement just for kicks and giggles to see what kind of cow she would make. My question is what age do most of these crosses start coming into heat? I know from what ive heard the brahman influenced cattle usually are a little later in cycling compared to other cattle. Shes approximatley 16 mos old and has come into heat the 3 times that i know of. My biggest concern is that she may be a late breeder and im working toward having a closer calving season, so i dont want that if thats the case. Im just not familar with them that much a d was curious if its typical for them to get breed until they reach a certain age due to the brahman influence. I may have anwsered my own question here, but thanks in advance for any input.

Figured you forgot how to log in... :lol:

I have 4 of those crosses, as heifers they bred right along with the other heifers of Angus and Hereford breeding. As long as the heifer is cycling and old enough to breed she should be fine.

If she has been exposed to three cycles it could be she is not capable of settling.....or something is wrong with your bull....or your bull just isn't getting the job done....or she could just be fine and just hasn't bred.

Bulls been checked and everything was good there. Im thinking she is having trouble settling. May wait and see if she cycles again, if she does she will prolly take a ride.

Sd1030":2edmo3lm said:
Bulls been checked and everything was good there. Im thinking she is having trouble settling. May wait and see if she cycles again, if she does she will prolly take a ride.
As long as he is settling your other cows..... new bulls seemed to have fix my episode.

Yea he has settled the other cows. So i dont think its a problem with the bull.

Sd1030":26wdpafg said:

Could she possibly be cystic?

Latest posts