hereford females vid

Help Support CattleToday:

sporder

Reaction score
while i was taking a video of my problem bull i thought i would take one of my females. there are 5 heifers ( 3 @ 11 months 1 @ 9 months and one @ 6 months) and 6 cows aged 2.5 years to 12 years. nothing special but what i have to work with at the moment. intend to sell 3 older ones and replace with 2 better ones and retain 2 of the heifers.

Sporder will likely fill in if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure over there cattle must be kept inside during the winter. So the facilities and management of the cattle during the winter is much different than here in the States.

cattle dont have to be kept in over winter but the generaly are. because of feed prices and bedding costs some have moved to outwintering . we do it to stop poaching the fields. we tend to get alot of wet weather through winter so the fields dont have the chance to recover. our herds dont seem to be as large as yours and you probably have larger areas of land which will allow recovery. when i look at pics posted on here of cattle out in the snow with ice hanging from there coats i cringe. does it not impact on their growth having to use the food/energy just to keep warm.

Hereford's dont lose heat as much as continental breeds. There's been studies about it. Coldstress point is about -20c when they start consume more feed. Last week we had -30c and Herefords wasn't hungrier than normal, but Angus cows were searching for hay all day.

Latest posts