Hereford dry matter intake

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I looked at a Select Sires bull, CL 1 Domino 215Z. His dry matter on the EPD graph intake was in the way left which I believe is very high for dry matter intake. Now what does that mean to me? I winter graze and so my forage is not the highest quality. So does that mean his offspring will consume lots of low quality feed and be a good thing for me? Or does it mean his offspring will not make good use of feed they eat? How is this value obtained? thanks farmguy

The accuracy of the new DMI EPD on 215Z is not very high (.21) so it is far from being reliable. Accuracy levels of EPDs need to be at least at .6 or higher before much faith should be put in their reliability.

I don't follow horned bulls but if I was looking at horned bulls he would be a bull that checks off a lot of criteria we look at.

There just isn't enough raw data reported to put any faith in the DMI EPD right now so outside of that what do you think of the bull? Less than 1% of Herefords have reported data for DMI and Carcass Weight. EPDs are only as reliable as the amount of data submitted to the association. It's frustrating because there are guys out there who are barking about honesty and transparency yet some of them aren't submitting all their data themselves that would help improve the accuracy of EPDs.

EPDs are not meant to be the only criteria for selecting cattle but just 1 of several tools to evaluate an animal. Even within our own herd I could show you examples where some of our high and low EPD females over or under performed their EPDs. A bull or heifer still has to pass the eye test here along with proving themselves when they cross the scale.

farmguy":17wi2qgc said:
I looked at a Select Sires bull, CL 1 Domino 215Z. His dry matter on the EPD graph intake (DMI 1.1) was in the way left
which I believe is very high for dry matter intake. What does that mean to me?
Does it mean his offspring will not make good use of feed they eat?
Breed average DMI for Herefords born in 2012 is epd 0.0

It means his offspring are predicted to eat 1.1 lbs more feed per day on a dry matter basis than Herefords born in 2012.
The reliability of this prediction is only 21% and four out of five offspring will be better or worse.

My main take away is that on average Herefords are becoming slightly less feed efficient as the average Hereford
born in 2017 is predicted to eat .25 lb more feed per day on a DMI basis than those born in 2007.
Hereford average Mature Cow Weight has increased 10 lbs in the 10 years from 2007 to 2017 along with increased milk
I believe those are the reasons for this current trend.

p.s.
His offspring are predicted to eat .92 lbs more than the average hereford born in 2017.