Hereford cow (stay or go?)

Help Support CattleToday:

Ned Jr.

Reaction score
Hereford_Cow.JPG

Should I keep her or sell her? I had to milk her out when she calved and I don't like a cow that starts out with to much milk. I like the ones that come to their milk later on. Her numbers are around 1 BW 37 WW 60 YW 20 M. She is four years old. Don't bother asking her pedigree or reg. number because I'm not going to say. She is horned breeding.

She looks to be an easy keeper and a good enough cow. Why did you have to milk her? She doesn't appear to have balloon teats. Not the greatest udder attachment for such a young cow though. But that could be corrected with the right bull.

Just curious, but why not let us know about her pedigree?

I'd keep her if she was easy to milk out, she gives you a supply of colostrum that way :lol: .

Honestly, we have a couple cows like that. We just don't have the time to milk them out most of the time. Their bags may break down after a time because we don't milk them out. If/when that happens they will be shipped. If we were closer I'd probably buy that cow from you in a heartbeat, I like the looks of her.

Chris H":2xrwf6st said:
If we were closer I'd probably buy that cow from you in a heartbeat, I like the looks of her.

That was my thought exactly!

dun

If her problem is the worst of what you have going on, I would be counting my blessings :D

Was this the first time you had to milk her out? Maybe she had a longer gestation this go around... and filled up more... could that possibly be it? I am just guessing here, as I don't know your answer to my original question. But I'd be with the rest, I'd keep her. ... unless she is the bottom of your barrel and you need to get rid of some...

She looks good to me. I would keep her, but there is more to cattle than a pretty picture (she wure takes one)
If she isnt earning her way or takes to much time.
Ship her, we all have to make hard decisions.
She would stay on my place

MD

She doesn't balloon, she just starts out with more milk than the calf can handle. I do like to have a supply of colostrum on hand during calving season but I like to breed as trouble free cattle as I can.
If I gave her pedigree it would be to easy for you to find me. I didn't join to promote myself or my herd. I just like to talk cattle and I get a kick out of some of the members on here. I will say she does go back to GB L1 DOMINO 250 who produced some outstanding females in my book.

I agree with Chris. Milk her out and save the colostrum. Around here, milking out a cow who just freshened isn't all bad. You never know how heifers are going to come out milk-wise and maternal-wise when they drop their first calf. As with Chris and Dun, if I was closer (and in the US) I would pick her up in a heartbeat. Beautiful cow..simply gorgeous. Her udder attachment isn't the best and she is a little thick in the neck for me...but other than that, she is a real front-pasture model.

I really like her. If you will deliver I will buy her :lol: If I had her I would put my red angus bull on her. I think that would be one purty calf!

HOSS":y32kghdk said:
I really like her. If you will deliver I will buy her :lol: If I had her I would put my red angus bull on her. I think that would be one purty calf!

I will even pick her up, no need for delivery.

Too much milk? What's wrong with just letting her adjust to having after having the calf. We have quite a few heavy milkers and they have lasted till the were gumming their food. Around here we NEVER gripe about too much milk!!

Did she lose the calf? Did I miss something here? I don't believe in keeping cows over if they've lost a calf. Even when it's not really their fault. Just plain business. They go, before they cost any more money.

As long and deep ribbed as she is, she would really have to disapoint me at weaning time for her to ever be culled. A young cow with that much volume, eye appeal, and EPDs is almost begging to be a donor cow if she weans good calves.

Ned, I don't know much about Herefords, but she looks like a real beauty to me. Too much milk? I'd be worried if it were the other way around. Won't the calf dictate supply and demand?

Really pretty barn, too!

Thanks for all the nice comments. I have one real nice replacement heifer by that cow. She has a good bull calf on her now, a little late but good. She seemed to breed back earlier this year. Here is a sample of the bred heifers taking her place.

Bred_Heifer.JPG

This is a heifer calf that will be waiting for the next cow to screw up.

Heifer_calf.JPG

I'm to dumb to figure out how to get all these girls on one post. This heifer calf is standing in a hole, she has better slope to her front shoulders than the picture shows.

Heifer_calf-2.JPG

As to the cow, I'd give her another chance. She's a nice one.

The heifers, very, very nice looking animals.

I wouldn't mind having a couple of them.

Katherine

Latest posts