Hereford cow mounting steer

Help Support CattleToday:

BILL CLAYLAND

Reaction score
Walked down to the barn this morning to throw some hay and ther was Mama puttin the moves on my steer.
She knocked the steer (around 700-800lbs) to the ground and theres a bunch of snow here.
We got her with hereford bull calf in november, and was hoping she was pregnant also when we got her.
The hereford bullcalf was born on aug 15.
I havent seen her mount before today, and im pretty bummed that there is time wasted.
My friend where i bought the pair says he'd bring a bull over for her, but with the snow we cant get a truck to the pen.
another concern is keeping a bull in the pen,, will she keep him happy a while?
also Im looking for more breeding stock, another cow? or a hiefer. might be better to have a couple girls for the bull.

signed sick of the snow!!
Bill

Was she preg checked?

We have seen bred cows mounting other cows, so I'd glove up and take a feel. Learned to preg check on an open cow.

If the bull is calm she should keep him happy until she is bred then he will get bored if he smells any other cow in heat.

We just got our kids a couple of bred heifers. We like getting bred heifers, but a bred cow might also be the way to go. Depends upon her age.

It's not that hard. Put the cow in a squeeze chute, put on one of the shoulder length gloves, lube up the hand and go in through the rectum. Remove any poop you find right there, makes it easier.
Feeling down ward you will feel the pelvic bone. Just past the pelvic bone you will feel something large and hard; bred; or you will feel pretty much nothing there; open.
You will be feeling down not up. Feel to the left feel to the right. I have gone in clear to my shoulder feeling for a calf in an open cow. I have found the front feet on one and just the head or butt on others.

if this cow was with a bull from around the time she calved til you got her she should be bred. But there is a chance she is not, that is why I say preg check her.
Now if you don't want to do it yourself call your vet, but it is much cheaper to learn to do it yourself.

Another reason for the shoulder length glove is it is really hard to get the poop stains out of clothes, lost a couple of shirts that way and didn't want to explain the stains. ;-) :D

Latest posts