hereford cow down

Help Support CattleToday:

stable

Reaction score
there are 8 hereford cows with 3 and 4 month old calves all kept together with the hereford bull. he has started breeding them again. tonight , i found one of my cows down, her back end will not work she is dragging it and can not put her legs under her. called vet and he won't be out till tomorrow. gave her 30cc of dex and 10cc of banimine. my question is : could the bull have done this or is it some kind of disease or toxin?

stable":dwiqh4yi said:
there are 8 hereford cows with 3 and 4 month old calves all kept together with the hereford bull. he has started breeding them again. tonight , i found one of my cows down, her back end will not work she is dragging it and can not put her legs under her. called vet and he won't be out till tomorrow. gave her 30cc of dex and 10cc of banimine. my question is : could the bull have done this or is it some kind of disease or toxin?

Could have been the bull and he might have punched a hole in the wrong hole had that happen once. Not good.

The bull weighs 2200 lbs. we been told by friends that the bull has to go . Just got to big for my cows. He is such a friendly and caring bull. Hated to see him go. thank u for everyones help. Looking into artifical insemination.

It was the bull. he became to big for my cows. We had her butchered and the coxofemoral joint was torn . Thank you , for everyones help.

Unless he is a yearling 2200 lbs is not to big for a bull. Every broke back I have seen could walk if the bull did it. They usually show a broke spot between the hooks and pins with the tail head knocked down.Could be a tumor. Could also be the bull I guess.

A friend of mine had a cow break her back and never got up riding another cow as they crossed a small ditch the cow doing the riding broke her own back.

ollie":2uni2xsf said:
Unless he is a yearling 2200 lbs is not to big for a bull. Every broke back I have seen could walk if the bull did it. They usually show a broke spot between the hooks and pins with the tail head knocked down.Could be a tumor. Could also be the bull I guess.

Weight and size sometimes doesn't enter into the equation. Poor footing, an awkward angle, lots of things can cause problems.

dun

Could be the bull. I had a bull a couple of years ago that weighed 2300 lbs when he was shipped in the fall and probably substantially more when he went out with the cows in the spring. Heifers were only about 800 lbs and I had no trouble. However, as dun says if he lost his footing or they were on uneven ground, bad things can happen to both the bull and the cow. I spent some time at the Bar 5 Ranch while I was growing up. They had some huge simmental bulls back in the late 70's early 80's. One of their top sires 'Gallant Best' I believe, had a cow fall under him and broke his uno. His hide hung on the office wall for alot of years after that.

Cattle Rack Rancher":3k2y5ns0 said:
One of their top sires 'Gallant Best' I believe, had a cow fall under him and broke his uno. His hide hung on the office wall for alot of years after that.

Galant Best was a heck of a sire--I had a few of his daughters and they were very good--big framed, for sure, but good. I knew he'd gotten slaughtered for injury, I just didn't know exactly what happened! Thanks for the info, even though it's decades old!

when we butchered the cow, and her coxofemmoral ligament was torn, she was in a bad way. Yes ,we did send the bull to the sale barn, it had to have been him, he had be on her everyday for 5 days.
thanks again.

Yes ,we did send the bull to the sale barn

Just curious butr what did a bull that big bring and did he weight as 2000 pounds like you figured. We have never sold a bull that big across the scales, wonder if we should?

txshowmom":3lm4vzop said:
We have never sold a bull that big across the scales, wonder if we should?
Not trying to be nosey, Showmom, but just wondering how you usually get rid of your cull bulls? Do y'all have a better plan than most of us that you wouldn't mind sharing?

txshowmom":24lc04kn said:
We send them to the packing house.
Hmmm. Since you say that you have never sold any across the scales, I would have guessed that you probably sent them to L & H except for this question you posted in the Feedyard Board last week:
txshowmom":24lc04kn said:
Have any of you guys sold your cattle on the rail? If so how did it work for you. Do you think it was a worthwhile endevor?
Made me think that you had never railed any cattle. Why didn't you share your experiences with us? Apparently you feel like it is a good deal for you or you would have tried the salebarn with some of you packer bulls. Do you recommend railing your slaughter bulls to anyone close enough to a plant to do it?

Hmmm. Since you say that you have never sold any across the scales, I would have guessed that you probably sent them to L & H

Yes we do send them to L&H.

Made me think that you had never railed any cattle

We have had some feeders in the ranch to rail program and they did quite well. However IMHO don't really think its worth the time and feed you have to put into them, I'd rather sell them off the cow. I just wanted to know how others were doing it.

txshowmom":1ipn0001 said:
Yes we do send them to L&H.
So, obviously you are comfortable with railing your slaughter cattle? I've just always been scared that they'd throw one of mine in the tank or something and by then it'd be too late to do anything about it. Seems like the auction process is the fair way to get top dollar assuming you have more than one buyer. Of course, if you have enough cattle, railing them and saving the commission would add up quick these days.

Latest posts