Hereford coming yearling bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

The seller should have banded them and then this would be a mute point. Cull bulls leave my place two ways either banded or as a donation to the local food bank in one pound packages.

cow pollinater":1ean81rj said:
ALACOWMAN":1ean81rj said:
course you cant sell every one of em,, but what concerns me with alot of seedstock producers like this situation what if he has a trainwreck,, who do you blame the breeder?? you hear stories of,, i used one of their bulls i wont ever make that mistake again... i dont recommend them.... ive seen it happen...
I've seen that to but I thought we were talking a commercial hereford herd and not registered cattle here. The poster knows one of the calves is crossbred... Besides, most of the registered stock producers that I deal with cut anything and everything that isn't up to par before they get to this point specifically for the reasons you're talking about. :nod:
in reality they should are have another market for those that dont sell not to where anybody could be free to buy their bulls,,and damage their reputation because they dont have knowledege of the pedigree

S&S Farms":t3ibwhzn said:
The seller should have banded them and then this would be a mute point. Cull bulls leave my place two ways either banded or as a donation to the local food bank in one pound packages.
exactly....

If I read the OP's original post they were not sold as culls they are unbanded bull calves from a commercial cow calf operation.

FWIW I have sold bull calves thru the salebarn unbanded AND banded. They were kept intact until I chose to finish them or not. If I kept them that long they had already passed the EPD' criteria for me to market them and they were being sold there intact because they didn't pass MY criteria to go on test.

They got sold unbanded because I had made the choice to move them and didn't feel like absorbing another month's worth of feed and frankly taking the chance they would not do well banded. We sell "cuttin bulls" here all the time most if not all go to the feedlot. The ones like this that don't "pays their money and takes their chances"!

S&S Farms":2wi6jsi9 said:
But you're not a commercial operator are you? Some of those bulls could have really improved some of the small herds you see around the country.

Moot.

Wow, I didn't know this thread had taken off.

They are just some bull calves bought at the auction, they belonged to some folks who have herefords, they are not registered or seedstock people, we have virtually none around here and only one hereford breeder in all of s.e. Colorado.

And yes, the goggle eye calf and that one laying down are the only reasons we bought them as I am always saying why can't I find a goggle eyed bull.

Many people around here still do things the old fashioned way, keep a few bulls they like, these were sold for some reason, I don't know the reason but it could be anything, they sold quite a lot of calves that day, these were some of them.

I don't really need any more bulls, we'll see how these grow into late spring and see what we have, if anything. I think the one or two best will be as good as any hereford bulls I can even find within 3 hours drive of here for sale. As rare as hereford bulls are to buy I'll take my chances and see what happens.

Latest posts