Hereford coming yearling bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

traderaaron

Reaction score
Bought some horned hereford bull calves at the auction and we are considering raising them as potential breeding bulls. Any thoughts, I kind of like the one with the pigment around his eye although he is likely a cross and not 100% horned hereford. They came from local longtime hereford cow-calf folks.

Looks like these pics are not high on detail but maybe you'll get the picture.

photo%2520%25282%2529.JPG

photo.JPG

photo%2520%25281%2529.JPG

Can't really tell anything from the pictures. The one with the pigment does look thick though from the first pic. How old are they?

greatgerts":1wlerf1p said:
Can't really tell anything from the pictures. The one with the pigment does look thick though from the first pic. How old are they?

Best pics I could get without getting in the pen and I didn't have my muck shoes on.

They will be coming up to 1 year old this spring, weighed 640 or 660 can't remember which.

To me they are disagreeable at this stage in their life, we'll see what they look like when they are about 13-15 months.

Australian":wtkcpgyg said:
They are all steers. Go out and buy a bull from a reputable breeder.

How about some pics of YOUR bulls! Would love to critique them.

Australian":x0r7b7mf said:
You can look at my pics on facebook. I find it too time consuming to post them on this site. Have tried it in the past and have given up.

How can I see your facebook page, considering I don't do facebook.

You know if you post pictures, your animal will be torn apart. The nature of the beast. You have to have a thick skin. Some posters can dish it out, but not take it. Go figure.

Australian":3u8xhlky said:
You can look at my pics on facebook. I find it too time consuming to post them on this site. Have tried it in the past and have given up.

What is the url of your facebook page?

I don't know where you are located, but with purebred bulls of that age and type, it is highly likely that a reputable Hereford breeder sent them to the sale barn for a reason. I wouldn't be too keen on trying to make herd sires out of them.

course you cant sell every one of em,, but what concerns me with alot of seedstock producers like this situation what if he has a trainwreck,, who do you blame the breeder?? you hear stories of,, i used one of their bulls i wont ever make that mistake again... i dont recommend them.... ive seen it happen...

I'd say your best bet may be the one laying down... Can't tell much since he's laying down but he does look to me to be the most masculine of the bunch and even at their age a real bull should look like a bull.
I'd also say that your best bet is to cut them all and get a bull from a reputable breeder so that you know just what you're buying but if you're not picky about the calves and you know something about the program where these came from then you may come out okay to breed a handfull of cows just to have calves to sell.

ALACOWMAN":3onr2pji said:
course you cant sell every one of em,, but what concerns me with alot of seedstock producers like this situation what if he has a trainwreck,, who do you blame the breeder?? you hear stories of,, i used one of their bulls i wont ever make that mistake again... i dont recommend them.... ive seen it happen...
I've seen that to but I thought we were talking a commercial hereford herd and not registered cattle here. The poster knows one of the calves is crossbred... Besides, most of the registered stock producers that I deal with cut anything and everything that isn't up to par before they get to this point specifically for the reasons you're talking about. :nod:

Since we're gonna be honest on here from now on here goes on this thread.

They are what they are and they aren't great bull prospects.

HOWEVER I can see why he likes the goggle eyed calf. As a matter of fact that calf, is better than 1/2 of the registered herf bulls that get posted on here. and that's my freakin :2cents:
He[[ if Knersie would have posted him most of ya'll would have fallen all over yourselves telling him that this calf was the second coming of every great herf bull that ever lived. Myself included..........and that's my other :2cents: .......goodnight!

The problem I have is bulls will be offered has hereford bulls, when the seller don't even know what they are, that is unethical in my opinion. The breeder sold them as culls through a salebarn, selling them on as bulls is not OK in my book. They were culled for a reason and phenotype obviously didn't play a big role in the case of the goggle eyed calf. It could be that he weighed 150lbs at birth, would traderaaron offer any support to the unsuspecting buyer when he loses half of his cows next calving season? I think not!

KNERSIE":jve6mirc said:
The problem I have is bulls will be offered has hereford bulls, when the seller don't even know what they are, that is unethical in my opinion. The breeder sold them as culls through a salebarn, selling them on as bulls is not OK in my book. They were culled for a reason and phenotype obviously didn't play a big role in the case of the goggle eyed calf. It could be that he weighed 150lbs at birth, would traderaaron offer any support to the unsuspecting buyer when he loses half of his cows next calving season? I think not!
Most anything that's sold thru a sale barn over here has only one guarantee "He passed the BSE" and some don't even carry that. Folks buy them, take them home and make money off them. None go to registered operations as they are culls but they do produce calves and that's all they buyer wants. When he gets larger he'll haul him back to the sell and get $2000 for him for hamburger.