Hereford bully

Help Support CattleToday:

106 did it!
She had issues last year with her char sired calf and her big teats. I got em straight but I'm concerned I may have to do the same this year. Pretty sure she's gonna have to go after this calf.
And I lied!
Proof is right here.....
She moved up a month plus!
Screenshot_20211215-174951_Samsung Internet.jpg
Here's her new one...
A heifer. 12 heifers out of 15 calves over there. 20211215_155852.jpg20211215_155849.jpg
Calving is DONE over there. So NICE!!
No stragglers except the 2 that were not ready when I turned the bull in.
100% calf crop on the ground! How exciting!!

I'll update her as well as my charolais bull thread.
Praise the lord and pass the potatoes?
This hereford sired calf has it all figured out!
Checked on her today. Yellow poopy butt and mama had definitely been nurse on one side. Sausage teats and all!
20211216_172049.jpg
Lil poopy butt...
20211216_172300.jpg
And she's got a BIG MOO!!
20211216_172256.jpg
Those older calves sure got a head start on my 2 newest!!
All is well in my little world....

I'll update her as well as my charolais bull thread.
Praise the lord and pass the potatoes?
This hereford sired calf has it all figured out!
Checked on her today. Yellow poopy butt and mama had definitely been nurse on one side. Sausage teats and all!
View attachment 11283
Lil poopy butt...
View attachment 11284
And she's got a BIG MOO!!
View attachment 11285
Those older calves sure got a head start on my 2 newest!!
All is well in my little world....
do you see the giraffe in 106's face markings?

106 and heifer calf are doing just fine. They got it all figured out easily. You'd never know last year was a problem. Now I'm at a crossroads as to what I wanna do. Got some time to figure it out I guess. She will definitely raise this one for me anyway. Swelling in the teats has went down considerably....
20211224_112402.jpg
And MERRY CHRISTMAS to all the single ladies! And you too, Big Sexy!
He went to visit all of em today. Right to work! That's lil Rosy. 20211224_111855.jpg
20211224_111916.jpg
He had pretty sniffed everyone by the time I left...
20211224_112750.jpg
Sure makes Lil Rosy look small. He's about twice her weight...
Bet she did ok by herself, so we'll do it again!
20211224_112121.jpg
Got an interested party here...
20211224_113612.jpg
That's Sally. Long Tall Sally...
Cow to the left in this pic is 107. Shes 1200lbs easy. Last time I weighed Sally she was 1500 or so. But it's been a while.
20211224_112438.jpg

Last edited:
I sure like going to check cows and see a calf for every mama! Even the red ones... guess I need to count reds/blacks. More reds than I'd like. But 2 reds were bought pairs to re sell.
So far I'm happy with my decision to tighten things up. I ain't worried about calving in the single digits. Freezing weather. Etc. Etc...
And Big Sexy is right on top of things. Love that too!
Here's some of them babies gathered round today.
20211231_103522.jpg

Ok guys! Here's lil Rosy in the middle with her calf. Obviously not as big a calf out of same bull. The calf on right and left are about same birthdays.
Bless her lil heart. Calf looks good. Just smaller. Guess I won't keep that one...
20220213_122435.jpg20220213_122430.jpg
I ended up with mostly heifers. Got my hereford bull calf I'm gonna raise up. And a rmf steer.
6 reds
7 blacks

Reds sold today right off the cow.

The steer weighed 375 and brought 2 bucks even.
The heifers were mid to high 3 weights and averaged 615 bucks each.

Big red heifer that came off of red cow, (purchased pair) sold for almost what I gave for the pair!
Same with blue cow.

I like free cows. Well, almost free cows.
Guess I need to update my project thread.

This one did not get a band. @gcreekrch He is sired by Big Sexy. And out out of this cow. Commercial hereford mama. 4 yr old or so. I've had her since a young heifer. Pretty good lil cow. Good feet. Good bag.
Right or wrong I left him a bull in anticipation of possibly keeping him.
Of coarse he's still growing... about 5 1/2 months old now
Mamas a touch thinner than I'd like her to be coming out of winter and raising the man-child. 😆
20220320_151357.jpg20220320_151311.jpg20220320_151101.jpg20220320_151055.jpg

I would rather see them thicker but I am not you.
I agree. The one black eyed heifer to the left is only 2 weeks older but is much bigger it appears.
Apples to oranges?
Shes out of a good sized simangus. But heck, she's a heifer and he's a bull! He SHOULD be bigger I would think.

Then there's the whole, well hereford grow a lil slower rumor... idk.

He may not do. But I guess I got the option... or maybe he will make a nice lil bull for someone!

Is it really cheaper to raise a bull than buy a good one? The more I think about it idk

I agree. The one black eyed heifer to the left is only 2 weeks older but is much bigger it appears.
Apples to oranges?
Shes out of a good sized simangus. But heck, she's a heifer and he's a bull! He SHOULD be bigger I would think.

Then there's the whole, well hereford grow a lil slower rumor... idk.

He may not do. But I guess I got the option... or maybe he will make a nice lil bull for someone!

Is it really cheaper to raise a bull than buy a good one? The more I think about it idk
You are getting enough cattle now that a good bull that will add 50 to 100 lbs to your calves would be worth paying for. This one is still small enough to get a cheerio on. One nut through at a time.

You are getting enough cattle now that a good bull that will add 50 to 100 lbs to your calves would be worth paying for. This one is still small enough to get a cheerio on. One nut through at a time.
Funny you should mention that.
My buddy was asking me what he thought my weaning weights were.
I told him I like to see most of em at 100 lbs per month on the steers. I'm a bit short but not much... most were heifers this time.

He thought I was crazy!!! Said I'd need 15-1700lb cows.

I'm like what?? Seemed normal to me.

Perhaps a nice blaze-face simangus would do the trick

You have 2 places with 40 acres each? How many brood cows are at each place? IMO, you could quit fooling with the "mutt" bulls, and quit trying to raise bulls from the mutt calves, and go buy a registered Brangus bull. You'd get a more uniform calf crop that would make you more money. And sell them when you wean them.... heifers too. You can buy a good cow for what it costs you to fool with raising a heifer up to its first calving age. From the pics I see of the cows you have, you'd get black and black baldy calves form a homozygous for black bull. Even if it cists you what 2 or 3 weaned heifers would bring to buy a cow, you'd be ahead of the game. Buy your cows bumping heavy, and you'd have 2 calves out of her before a raised heifer had her first one. Just a thought....

You have 2 places with 40 acres each? How many brood cows are at each place? IMO, you could quit fooling with the "mutt" bulls, and quit trying to raise bulls from the mutt calves, and go buy a registered Brangus bull. You'd get a more uniform calf crop that would make you more money. And sell them when you wean them.... heifers too. You can buy a good cow for what it costs you to fool with raising a heifer up to its first calving age. From the pics I see of the cows you have, you'd get black and black baldy calves form a homozygous for black bull. Even if it cists you what 2 or 3 weaned heifers would bring to buy a cow, you'd be ahead of the game. Buy your cows bumping heavy, and you'd have 2 calves out of her before a raised heifer had her first one. Just a thought....
I am considering changing a few things!

Usually about 15 mamas each place..
depends how the grass does..

These calves are out of my hereford bull.
Yes, I have a handful coming out of my mutt brangus bull at home. Was running a bull at each place. Down to the hereford bull only now!
He comes home mid May for this herd. He's not an old bull. Fairly young at 4 1/2 yrs old now. I bought him from a breeder down by Ada. I think his calves have done pretty good compared to bulls I've had in the past. When they stuck around.. but that's another story.

I've about made up my mind I'll pass this bull calf along at the sale. Possibly as a steer.

Been giving thought to all kinds of different options. Including selling most real mutt cows this coming fall as pairs possibly. And keeping only the very best of the ones I have from both places. The benefits are two-fold I think. I won't have to feed or hay anything over there this coming winter. With hay prices looking HIGH, this is a desirable option for me.

Step 2..
Probly sell my Registered hereford bull. 😔
I won't need him after about August. (No herd to breed over there right?)
The money I save on hay and feed, will go towards some nice bred mama cows for that place in the spring!

3rd step.
Puts me looking for a bull depending on what cows I buy. How heavy bred they are etc... May get away with not getting a new bull for a while. Saving hay and feed yet once more.

You have seen Big Sexy right? Not a million dollar bull, but I've been pretty satisfied with the job he's doing for me.
Screenshot_20220321-205901_Gallery.jpg
Much better than the first hereford I had. Lil Vindicator.
His skull is hanging on my shed.
Screenshot_20220321-205533_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I am considering changing a few things!

Usually about 15 mamas each place..
depends how the grass does..

These calves are out of my hereford bull.
Yes, I have a handful coming out of my mutt brangus bull at home. Was running a bull at each place. Down to the hereford bull only now!
He comes home mid May for this herd. He's not an old bull. Fairly young at 4 1/2 yrs old now. I bought him from a breeder down by Ada. I think his calves have done pretty good compared to bulls I've had in the past. When they stuck around.. but that's another story.

I've about made up my mind I'll pass this bull calf along at the sale. Possibly as a steer.

Been giving thought to all kinds of different options. Including selling most real mutt cows this coming fall as pairs possibly. And keeping only the very best of the ones I have from both places. The benefits are two-fold I think. I won't have to feed or hay anything over there this coming winter. With hay prices looking HIGH, this is a desirable option for me.

Step 2..
Probly sell my Registered hereford bull. 😔
I won't need him after about August. (No herd to breed over there right?)
The money I save on hay and feed, will go towards some nice bred mama cows for that place in the spring!

3rd step.
Puts me looking for a bull depending on what cows I buy. How heavy bred they are etc... May get away with not getting a new bull for a while. Saving hay and feed yet once more.

You have seen Big Sexy right? Not a million dollar bull, but I've been pretty satisfied with the job he's doing for me.
View attachment 14678
Much better than the first hereford I had. Lil Vindicator.
His skull is hanging on my shed.
View attachment 14679
Yes, he is a good looking Hereford bull. If he is registered, then he will probably bring enough to buy a registered Brangus, or close to it. 300 cows total then yeah..you won;t need but one bull. I do hope you don't sell Bessie ( unless it is to me). she has already earned the right to retire there, and be humanely put down when the time comes. How far apart are these 2 places?

Latest posts