Hereford bully

Help Support CattleToday:

@MurraysMutts I have a birthweight tape. "Accuracy" +/- 7 lbs so clearly not something to use if you want an exact weight. I've also used a bathroom scale. Well, once. I was traumatized when the number on the scale shot dangerously close to a deuce, plus I have no business holding a calf that big.
I need a get me one of each of those!
This cow is the calmest cow I have. Well, actually her first daughter is more calm i think.
This calf is the liveliest newborn calf I've ever had I think. Couple hours old last night, and already running and bucking and carrying on. Might be hard to catch for weighing now. Lol
She dont wanna hold still. Just happy to be out in the big big world I guess.

I may have a problem finding a bathroom scale big enough for me and a calf tho...

@Brute 23 I'm impressed with the eye color as well. I'm thinking she may get to hang around. Already got the last 3 in the herd. May as well. I hope her attitude is as good as the others!

I'm not real hip on that name..."Big Sexy?!?" Really did your wife buy him for XMas? You might be stuck w Big S.....other than that burden he looks swell. What are you gonna run him on??
We had one named Lil OJ. He was a lady-killer. He probably bred a few squirrels and raccoons that got in his way.

Attachments

• WP_20141216_07_17_13_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141216_07_17_13_Pro.jpg
    791.3 KB · Views: 20
@MurraysMutts I have a birthweight tape. "Accuracy" +/- 7 lbs so clearly not something to use if you want an exact weight. I've also used a bathroom scale. Well, once. I was traumatized when the number on the scale shot dangerously close to a deuce, plus I have no business holding a calf that big.
I found it was bad for my back when the big number is a 3 and I'm barely half of it

So I moved Big Sexy to the other place last weekend. Dropped him off and came back a couple hours later with hay and to just check up on em. Theres 10 opens over there. Still waiting on 3 to calve.
Attaboy!20201212_125849.jpg

So I moved Big Sexy to the other place last weekend. Dropped him off and came back a couple hours later with hay and to just check up on em. Theres 10 opens over there. Still waiting on 3 to calve.
Attaboy!View attachment 1255
Those Hereford bulls sure love to lay the pipe! We only had two open this year, and they were both grannies.

We worked cattle today and had the bull checked for breeding. Vet said he was at 25%. This Hereford bull has been breeding the last two days, so may have something to do with the low numbers.

We have eleven calves from him now that were born within 60 days, 9 were born within 22 days.

Don't know if there is a problem with him or not, but going to look for a replacement if one of the cows he topped and bred comes in heat in 20 days.

Sounds like what I need to make a good calving window! And I like his calves so far. They hit the ground running and grow well.

It's funny, the other bulls I've used over there, all go roaming around a while. Not this guy. Right to work!

We have a Hereford bull. We have tried Black Angus bulls low birth weight ECT. To many Open cow's... So we went back to the Hereford bull's. We also liked the one Balancer bull we had for 1 season he was 5 year's old and built like a Tank he was Huge. He threw small calves,that grew good.

Those Hereford bulls sure love to lay the pipe! We only had two open this year, and they were both grannies.

Our bull gets pulled in early August and basically is on vacation until May the following year. Once we preg check and know we have no open cows will turn him back out with the cows for the winter to free up a lot to develop our yearling sale bulls. Neighbor turned out some open heifers on cornstalks behind us recently and he's been testing the fence line. Love that he has a good libido but its a pain to turn him out whenever neighbors have cows out sharing a fence line that when he has no action with his ladies that he is tempted jump a fence to find companionship.

I'll have a picture in a day or 3. Neighbor at the lease pasture called about some cattle out (not mine thankfully)
Said he say one of mine in the pasture just delivered a calf. Itll most likely be Nova Lee and Big Sexy's...
Still need more daylight.
Stay tuned....

Bull calf.
Nova Lee is gelbvieh/angus
The hereford is strong with this one...
20201224_143729.jpg20201224_142530.jpg

While I was there Big Sexy was working on breeding my only hereford cow I have left. They gonna make a pretty baby next year. I'll have a full Hereford calf. Hope it's a heifer! This pair should make good replacement heifers. Mama does everything right. And sire I really like too.

Last edited:
That's a great Christmas present. It's always good to have a win like that after something bad has happened.

Hes definitely a bull. Mamas already got him out with the herd! Love the amount of white I'm getting out of Big Sexy. Some of the mutt cows throw a little too much white but I like em! Love them googles!
20201226_073336.jpg
A few of the earlier born.
20201226_080243.jpg

Last edited: