Hereford bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
I'd like to hear all the good and bad on hereford bulls. I'm considering covering my black cows with a hereford bull with high milk epd's. I'm after black white baldies for replacement heifers.

Thanks

ROD

Rod":2no2sfu4 said:
I'd like to hear all the good and bad on hereford bulls. I'm considering covering my black cows with a hereford bull with high milk epd's. I'm after black white baldies for replacement heifers.

Thanks

ROD
Rod, If you're after Black Baldies, you've made your choice. I like Hereford, dissposition, and ease of handling. I believe that Herefords in this part of the Country are making a phenomenol comeback. I dont think you'll regret it.

ROD:

Herefords are the best way to go and I don't just say that because I raise them, but because I am honestly telling you the truth. Here is what the Hereford breed is known for. First, they are the best diposition cattle man has ever encountered. Two, they are well marbled creatures that make a great carcass calf. Some of the Nations beef is Cerified Hereford Beef. Hereford Beef is of great demand right now in part of the USA. When you cross the Hereford and the Angus, this makes for a powerful mating. Herefords add that extra marbling to the beef and also they add the great growth and diposition to the animal. The angus, adds marbling to, but not as much as the Hereford and also the angus adds the milk power that the Hereford lacks in more than the angus breed. These two comw together to make one great cross breed. The british cross in my book is the best cow of any cow known to man. If you need more information, let me know. :cboy:

I guess I better step in and make some comments about the usefulness of the Herefords being crossed with Angus to make the best beef known to man, except for Wagyu, which most men don't know anything about it because at this point most people can't afford it.
For those of you that disagree with me, you may want to send a PM of complaint to Pretty Little Boy cattleco.The Hereford X Angus makes for a very docile well marbled animal. If fed right they will grade prime or high choice with a yield grade of 2 or 3.
As a mama cow the BWF will give ample milk to wean a calf in the mid 600lb to low 700lb range. She will pass this trait on to her daughters for the next generations, and will also have to dehorn the calves at conception, which will save on labor and potential health problems.
These cattle will also be elgible for CAB and CHB as long as you are using Herefords and Angus, not just black hided cattle. There is a difference between Black hided and Angus, also a difference between Red hided and Hereford.

The Herf-Angus cross will also qualify for several other branded beef programs including the new Ridgfield Farms Premium Hereford beef. They can also qualify for the new Hereford Verified Program.

Based on what I've observed, read, and heard all my life: A Hereford bull is typically hard to beat for temperament and longevity. The breed came into popularity in this country back when range conditions were more rugged as a whole than they are today. They are traditionally efficient and good rustlers-ask Bez. IMO, Hereford bulls are among the best in getting cows bred instead of leaving them standing in heat while going to check out the next pasture.

There are many good Hereford bulls out there that will perform for you. Just make sure you go to a good honest breeder. Not necessarily the biggest name. Talk to their other customers. Look for a bull that hasn't been overly pampered, but developed for work.

texbulldog":35m38eyf said:
Visit http://www.blackhereford.com site for enlightening information. This should be what you are looking for. Read the information and make your choice.

No offense to you, but if he already has black cows, a real Hereford bull will do the job for him, and there are many, many more of them to choose from; a much broader gene pool.

You can't go wrong with a good Hereford bull. There isn't any bad about one unless you don't like Herefords. The Hereford temperment is unsurpassed as a rule. I've observed that temperment is quite heritable, so check out the sire & dam of a prospective Hereford bull if possible.

Rod":1x93xrtm said:

Thanks

ROD

IMO only I would get a Braxton Giant1 or Vindicator Hereford, calves get her the size of a house cat and grow. If your intrestested in seeing the BG1 line PM me I also have a Vindicator Braxton cross I can send pics of. I run a few brangus and I love the cross.
http://www.reedent.com/

rwtherefords":1gxaofw3 said:
There isn't any bad about one unless you don't like Herefords.
I am a pretty leanient guy when it comes to bragging on your breed but that is flagrant. I have seen Lots of sorry herefords. Lots. I like Herefords.

ollie":8zfi2tty said:
rwtherefords":8zfi2tty said:
I am a pretty leanient guy when it comes to bragging on your breed but that is flagrant. I have seen Lots of sorry herefords. Lots. I like Herefords.
I kinda took it to mean that there's nothing bad or wrong when using a Hereford bull on Angus cows.

ollie":1quoyf2w said:
rwtherefords":1quoyf2w said:

Ok Ollie,what's wrong with using a Hereford? You also assume too much. Just because my avitar is a Hereford doesn't mean that they're "my breed". I happen to own more Angus cows than Herefords at the moment. I also am running a few Charolais.

SO............. What's wrong with the Hereford bull? That was his question!

You did say:" there aren't any bad ones unless you don't like herefords", didn't you?

Why heck, there are bad ones in every breed, whether you like them or not!

rwtherefords":17zcez8e said:
You can't go wrong with a good Hereford bull.
A GOOD ONE
There isn't any bad about one
STILL TALKING ABOUT A GOOD ONE
unless you don't like Herefords.......

And of you don't like herefords, nobody can convince you that any of them are any good.

What's the matter guys? Slow night. Nothing to do but troll through the forum and pick apart someone's post? :roll:

The opening sentence applies to the whole paragraph. If not, it would require a new paragraph. I'm obviously only talking about a "good" hereford bull. If you disagree, that's fine. I'm intitled to my opinion and have a right to share it.

Can't we all just get along? :D