Hereford bulls PIC

Help Support CattleToday:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I am posting two bulls that belong to one of my employees family.

First two pictures are from the same animal, it's a 2 years bull.

DSCN3605.jpg

DSCN3602.jpg

And this one is a one year bull

DSCN3612.jpg

Shoot them with heavy artillery, this is the best site to learn !!
Thanks everyone :cowboy:

L

baxter78":3gyn5orh said:
I like em.

It maybe the pic but they both look just a tad sway backed and the second one looks post legged. The first one looks a little coarser shouldered than the other and looks like the second one would calve easier from the way he is made.
well he's here, so he calved out somehow

Not a Herford fan myself but bulls like that could get my attention. They look great Lorenzo, I think you have posted the best Herfords i have seen on CT.

The first bull looks a great prospect, the type I like. If possible I'd like to see the first bull from the front and back as well with a close up of the head from both sides. Breeding?

I don't like the second one, his structure is struggling to support his extra length. He isn't by chance a Online 122L son?

Red Bull Breeder said:
Not a Herford fan myself but bulls like that could get my attention. They look great Lorenzo, I think you have posted the best Herfords i have seen on CT.[/quote] ......... don't know about the best...but he is knocking the he&% out of the most ;-)

Red Bull Breeder,
Thank you very much. I run with advantage compared to other forum members as I am not only posting bulls of my own but bulls of clients and friends.

Knersie,

"I don't like the second one, his structure is struggling to support his extra length. He isn't by chance a Online 122L son?"

What things I have to look to be able to identify what you are saying here ??? What things of his structure will tell me that the bull is too long for it ?

Thanks, I must send you a check for teaching me !! :D

L

Look at his topline just in front of his hooks, you'll see a dramatic change in slope there and again at the 12th rib. You could almost draw his topline using three straight lines. In a 12 month old bull like this you could expect it to only get worse with more weight and age.

I also don't like his cut up flank, although that will probably get better with age. He isn't a bad bull by any means, just not in the same league as he first bull.

Knersie,

Perfect, I saw it, a good thing to watch from now on. Thanks

One more question and please sorry if I am being a pain in the neck asking so many questions but english is not my language and sometimes I miss good information because of this..

So here it goes, what do you mean when you talk about "cut up flanks" ???
I know I can google it but it is not the same that when someone explain you the "whole thing".

Thanks again
Lorenzo

English isn't my first language either, so don't feel bad asking me to explain.

The "old" standard was to have parallel top and bottom lines, lets still use this as my ideal. If the flank is "cut up" or high, it means the animal is shallower at the flank than it is further forward towards the front of the animal.

High flanks usually indicates later maturing animals that will mature at a taller mature size. Its animals that typically continue to grow for longer without putting much fat on. This trait was associated with the Continentals of yesteryear and the British breeds foolishly pursued this at all cost, resulting in losing some traits that made them popular in the first place.

A low flank indicates an animal who is earlier maturing, who will more readily put fat on and is usually easier doing as a result. It may not be the ideal feedlot animal for the feeder who makes money by selling more feed, but it is the ideal grazing animal for a low input system under harsher conditions.

I am speachless....thank you very much.

I will take pictures from both sides of his head and some from the front and some others from the back of that bull.

Thanks
Lorenzo

Both fairly nice bulls...Should work on the right cows.
I would like to see more length of body on the first bull and a deeper flank in the second bull.

Latest posts