Hereford bulls on those black cows $$$$$$$$$

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie":iivrohve said:
It depends. They put a max of ten bulls in a pen. If a particular breeder sends ten bulls, they are likely to all be in one pen. If he delivers 12 bulls, the extra two will be mixed into another pen. Or if he delivers six, they'll be mixed with someone else's bulls to fill a pen.
I was curious because Jorgensen Land & Cattle (had a class presnetation today) puts the bulls they get for their sale (their own and consignors) into contemporary groups to figure all the feed info.

Edit: Here's some info on it...http://www.jorgensenfarms.com/high-feed.html

Still want to no how much feed the six pound of gain a day bull eat to gain six pounds a day. When feed was cheap that didn't matter to much with high priced feed i think you would have to wonder about it. Feed converison and feed efficiency are two different things.

I must have missed it; but I never saw ANYBODY in this discussion say that ANY breed OUT GAINED or converted better or hung a better carcass than Angus. All the study is saying is that if you bred Angus type cows to a Hereford bull you improved performance over breeding the same type cows to an Angus bull through hybrid vigor. This is elementary agriculture. I don't see how this is even debatable. I prefer Herefords but you could substitute Simmental, Gelbvieh, Limousin, Charolais, Maines, in sourthernly climates Beefmaster or Santa Gertrudis, or (God forbid) Salers here and probably get similar results in this scenario.

I wish I had individual data on all the cattle I've fed I do know this with hybrid vigour you get more cows bred-more live calves and thus more steers to send to the feedlot to gain as well or better than straightbreds. Bulls that gain in a hothouse enviroment really tell us nothing about how their daughters will perform out in a range enviroment. If I want bulls for a terminal cross I'll use exotics. Why would we want to breed Angus cattle that out gain Chars, Simms or whatever-the breed was built on mother cows not sure the feedlot/carcass kings will raise those.

Frankie wrote:
It's expensive to measure indivdual feed conversion. Our test station isn't set up for that. I don't think feedlots measure "conversion" or "efficiency". They do keep track of ADG.

I've heard that its expensive to measure individual FCR in the USA, I just don't understand why its so expensive. By far the biggest cost of any growth test is the feed, the infrastructure isn't all that expensive nor is the technology needed to record each bulls intake. Every bull test centre here measures individual feed intake and individual FCR are calculated. At the end of the test the bull gets branded with his merit rating on the left shoulder. The merit of the bull is a combination of the ADG, the FCR and the WW index of the individual bull when compared to the 10 year rolling average of the test centre per breed. Obviously minimum breed standards for ultrasound scan data and other breed characteristics apply.

Feedlots here do measure convertion or efficiency, but obviously per pen and not individual FCR, they will sometimes try and keep a specific farm's calves together if the group is big enough to get an idea who's calves do better in their feedlot.

Don't curl your lip at a bull's "ability to eat..". There are lots of bulls of various breeds that don't eat well or convert well. That's why we test.

This is true, not all cattle handle the hotter ration well and not all cattle are good eaters in a feedlot situation, that doesn't neccesarily mean that the one who's not a good eater doesn't have a use in a grass based operation, but that is just impossible to measure accurately.

The argument was never if angus are any good or not, my response was to the comment that herefords just don't perform in the feedlot.

For what its worth, herefords outgain the angus here and do it at a better FCR. Limousin has the better overall FCR, with hereford second. Simmental outgain the other breeds, but at a poorer FCR. Angus would still be overall 3rd here. At the test centre where I test I don't see any 6lb per day ADG bulls, but 5+ is not a rarity. The angus tested here are just about all USA genetics where the herefords is a pretty good mix between English, Canadian, USA and SA. I am not going to post what is considered intellectual property of the ARC on a public forum so I won't post all the breed's 10 year figures, but for those interested I'll tell you in a pm where your breed stands here in the Western Cape.

To conclude, ADG alone isn't giving you the full picture, ADG, FCR and ultrasound together with the on farm performance before and after the test will tell you more what your bull is worth in your situation.

Now don't get me wrong here. I'm a big fan of crossbreeding...both for a cow herd and for the final product. The original slant of this whole subject was hereford bulls somehow "improve" those black cows...and all I said was probably about the same as Angus bulls "improve" those hereford cows! At the end of the day you get a black baldy calf that sells well.
I don't feed out my cattle. I want to sell a yearling in that 900-950 range. I believe a good crossbed steer with obvious Angus influence is the best way to go, while still giving me some good F1 replacements.
My observations on what sells well and what doesn't are just mine, in my area. Maybe I am biased...but I guess just about everyone else around my area is too...because that is what sells for the most money!
If the buyers want purple cattle...that is what I will raise. I'm in this business to make the most money I can, not to support any breed.

Alberta farmer":2hmh7adl said:
I suspect if they did another study breeding Angus bulls to straightbred hereford cows you would get the same results? The only difference would be that the straight bred hereford calves would sell for much less than the Angus calves?
Now it might be different wherever you are, but in Alberta a straightbred hereford calf is going to be discounted close to ten cents a pound. There is a reason for that...they don't perform in the feedlot. The feedlot buyers know this.

Just to refresh your memory...

Its your comment in bold that I (and a few others) am disagreeing with, I don't argue with the merit of the angus breed.

KNERSIE":21tkl3jd said:
I've heard that its expensive to measure individual FCR in the USA, I just don't understand why its so expensive. By far the biggest cost of any growth test is the feed, the infrastructure isn't all that expensive nor is the technology needed to record each bulls intake.

Knersie, when I started college back in 1989 the Auburn Bull Test was measuring feed efficiency and intake even then and had been doing so for some YEARS before I got there. I am completely at a loss as to why anybody in 2009 is still sending bulls to a test that does NOT measure feed efficiency, much less where they find the suckers to buy them. We have study after study showing that the highest Average Daily Gain bulls are often not very efficient.....they often just eat a whole lot. Without the ability to measure individual intakes, such a test is not really telling you anything significant as to whether a bull's progeny will perform in a feed lot or not.

Knersie: The fact is a "straightbred" hereford calf sells for less...in my area. A straightbred Angus(red or black) sells up with the crossbreds. This is the reason there are very few hereford bulls in any pastures here.
The feedlots don't want a straightbred hereford calf. Why? The only conclusion can be that they don't make as much money on them. Again I will stress this is in Alberta...it very well might be different other places.

Alberta farmer":3ikroysc said:
Knersie: The fact is a "straightbred" hereford calf sells for less...in my area. A straightbred Angus(red or black) sells up with the crossbreds. This is the reason there are very few hereford bulls in any pastures here.
The feedlots don't want a straightbred hereford calf. Why? The only conclusion can be that they don't make as much money on them. Again I will stress this is in Alberta...it very well might be different other places.

So you are saying that there alot of hereford cows still in your area because you will not get a straight hereford out of an angus cow bred to a hereford bull.

Feedlots probably dont make as much money as they do not get to sell as much feed to the owners as they do with other breeds.

S&S Farms":1fc8tu80 said:
Alberta farmer":1fc8tu80 said:

So you are saying that there alot of hereford cows still in your area because you will not get a straight hereford out of an angus cow bred to a hereford bull.

Feedlots probably dont make as much money as they do not get to sell as much feed to the owners as they do with other breeds.

I agree, and while hereford calves can be bought cheaply there is a bigger potential profit margin built in for the feedlot when the owner don't retain ownership.

i like hereford cattle ......... but they don't sell well here either the baldies do good, a barn owner told us.... now this was his story "not mine" that herefords were outdated,... which i dont buy. lot of bad management in my area i think, has given a bad rep

lot of bad management in my area i think, has given a bad rep

That always happens at the height of a breed's popularity, its already happening with angus as well and I'm sure angus will also go through a similar slump in a few years time.

In the meantime i'll keep selling my hereford calves at a premium to the feedlot who has been buying all my calves for the last few years. I'm pretty sure they won't pay a premium for something not performing in the feedlot, it just happens that they also keep a close eye on FCR.

4/29/09

Northtexas,

Smart moves (actually very smart ...) on your part; your calf/stocker strategy and your herd diversification.

With all of the Hereford nay-sayers about you are for one proving them dead wrong.

Keep up the good work and my best wishes to you for a good 2009 and ample rain.

Dave

MAPLE EDGE HEREFORD FARM
Bloomfield, CT

Buy Hereford cows cheap and put an angus bull on them, The calves will ring the bell at the sale barn. In our neck of the woods Herefords don;t sell well, but the further west (closer to KS you get) the price goes up some.

dun":3losrv43 said:
Buy Hereford cows cheap and put an angus bull on them, The calves will ring the bell at the sale barn. In our neck of the woods Herefords don;t sell well, but the further west (closer to KS you get) the price goes up some.
that's true, thats where the majority of our cattle go.... :?: i know that shipping is figured in but

Good horned Hereford replacement heifers are real hard to buy up here-I've been known to overspend on females-one outfit that I've bought alot of baldies from over the years sells some straight Horned Herefords at the same sale-I can't get them bought the same outfit out bids me every year-I guess he doesn't want anybody else in on the genetics.

Knersie: No there are not a lot of straightbred hereford females around here anymore. There are still a lot of hereford cross cattle with a white face. Simmental, Limo, Charlais bulls were used a lot from about 1985 on. The use of Angus bulls in a big way started about the mid to late nineties. Probably really accelerated after about 2002 as the market dictated a smaller, more marbled, more efficient cow.
There are good cattle in every breed. Depends what works for you.
I am approaching retirement and have no desire to build a program that looks beyond a couple of years. In those couple of years I want to make the most money I can without killing myself. Angus works for me.

I did something not many have tried...I came up short of ranch raised locker beef in Feb of 2007....( too many in- laws)....We have a grocer here that sells several different brands of premium beef out of an old fashioned meat case...I was in a bind as I had some good friends from the east coming to visit.... I had to have good beef to serve.... I bought 8 of the branded t-bones and came home....The BBQ went well except I was sure not bragging on the steaks....all I could think was...oh gawd...."this stuff will choke a billy goat..I sure wish I had tried this before serving it"...the people were ok with the meat...I was not......

I decided to spend the next 12 months buying all my meat and trying all branded meats I could find. In the end the one that stood out above the rest was the American Kobe beef...one other breed was the king of the rest by a great distance...it had flavor tenderness and left you wanting more.....

Some of the certified and branded beef steaks were just horrible....all graded well.....some were tough...some had no flavor...some had a bad flavor....

I am not going to say which breed or brand won at my house....you'll have to decide that for yourself.....but...I would challenge you to do what I did....I think you might get a surprise in the end....

giftedcowboy":1sejr6h1 said:
I did something not many have tried...I came up short of ranch raised locker beef in Feb of 2007....( too many in- laws)....We have a grocer here that sells several different brands of premium beef out of an old fashioned meat case...I was in a bind as I had some good friends from the east coming to visit.... I had to have good beef to serve.... I bought 8 of the branded t-bones and came home....The BBQ went well except I was sure not bragging on the steaks....all I could think was...oh gawd...."this stuff will choke a billy goat..I sure wish I had tried this before serving it"...the people were ok with the meat...I was not......

I decided to spend the next 12 months buying all my meat and trying all branded meats I could find. In the end the one that stood out above the rest was the American Kobe beef...one other breed was the king of the rest by a great distance...it had flavor tenderness and left you wanting more.....

Some of the certified and branded beef steaks were just horrible....all graded well.....some were tough...some had no flavor...some had a bad flavor....

I am not going to say which breed or brand won at my house....you'll have to decide that for yourself.....but...I would challenge you to do what I did....I think you might get a surprise in the end....

There is only one brand we will eat at our house and that is CRPB ( Certified Red Poll Beef )
:banana: :banana: :banana:

Latest posts