Hereford bulls on those black cows $$$$$$$$$

Help Support CattleToday:

I can tell you for sure. Commercial cattlemen with Black Angus cows are out to make a profit. If there would be more profit in breeding those cows to Hereford bulls they would ALL be doing it. Figure it out.

i AM NEW AT THIS, COULD YOU TELL ME IF YOU HAVE A HEREFORD BULL AND CROSS WITH A BLACK ANGUS WHAT COLOR WOULD THE CALF BE?
ALSO WHAT IS A BLACK BALDY ? WHAT IS A REPLACEMENT HEIFER? WHAT IS A HETEROSIS?
i HOPE THIS ISN'T TOO MANY ? i HAVE LEARNED A lOT FROM THIS WEB SITE WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU FOR THE INFO.!!!!!!!!!
THANKS CHARLENE

kypops":2ezhhs8v said:
i AM NEW AT THIS, COULD YOU TELL ME IF YOU HAVE A HEREFORD BULL AND CROSS WITH A BLACK ANGUS WHAT COLOR WOULD THE CALF BE?
ALSO WHAT IS A BLACK BALDY ? WHAT IS A REPLACEMENT HEIFER? WHAT IS A HETEROSIS?
i HOPE THIS ISN'T TOO MANY ? i HAVE LEARNED A lOT FROM THIS WEB SITE WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU FOR THE INFO.!!!!!!!!!
THANKS CHARLENE

Just hit caps lock once and everything you type will be much easier readible.

The calf should be black unless the angus carries the red factor, if the angus carries the red factor 50% of the calves will be black

A black baldie in the true sense of the word is the first cross between a hereford and a black angus

A replacement heifer is a heifer retained for breeding purposes.

Heterosis is hybrid vigour. The resultant offspring of two different pure breeds should perform at a level higher than either parent, this higher performance is called hybrid vigour or heterosis.

mnmtranching":c2wrhqwu said:
I can tell you for sure. Commercial cattlemen with Black Angus cows are out to make a profit. If there would be more profit in breeding those cows to Hereford bulls they would ALL be doing it. Figure it out.

Yes, many/most cattlemen ARE using Black Angus bulls on mostly Black Angus cows......and yet all the extension and ag econ people are telling us that many/most cattleman are LOSING money. Connection anyone???

Hereford is not the only one out there pointing out that the SCIENCE says crossbreeding (and I think if you are crossbreeding in 85% of the continental United States that SHOULD INCLUDE ANGUS (red or black)) pays $$$s over the long haul, especially if you are retaining heifers.

http://www.selectsires.com/beef/tips/09 ... age1-2.pdf

I think cattlemen with all black, totally uniform cows like looking at all black, totally uniform cows; much like their daddys and grandaddys preferred looking at all white faced red, totally uniform cows. You can keep telling yourself it is done for profit; but I think it has more to do with aesthetics.

I'm talking about big cattle ranches. I've seen in the past 25 years or so these guys going from Hereford cattle to Black Angus. And they did it to make money, nothing to do with the breeds. Many do have baldies in their cow herds but, probably run around 10-15 percent. The ranch I'm familiar with has 1500 mother cows and they always have a half dozen or so horned Hereford bulls. Mostly I think because their lifelong friends of a Hereford breeder. This is out of 60 bulls the rest are registered BA. These guys know cattle and know how to make money. So why don't these guys and their neighbors use all Hereford bulls?

Maybe someday they will!!! Hybrid vigour is a dangerous concept to ignore-some well capitalized ranches can m,ake money running three legged Jersey's that doesn't mean they are making as much as they can.

Northern Rancher":2c9k87a5 said:
Maybe someday they will!!! Hybrid vigour is a dangerous concept to ignore-some well capitalized ranches can m,ake money running three legged Jersey's that doesn't mean they are making as much as they can.
thats a fact

northtexas":2s3hpaqs said:
>>I'm talking about big cattle ranches. I've seen in the past 25 years or so these guys going from Hereford cattle to Black Angus. And they did it to make money, nothing to do with the breeds. Many do have baldies in their cow herds but, probably run around 10-15 percent. The ranch I'm familiar with has 1500 mother cows and they always have a half dozen or so horned Hereford bulls. Mostly I think because their lifelong friends of a Hereford breeder. This is out of 60 bulls the rest are registered BA. These guys know cattle and know how to make money. So why don't these guys and their neighbors use all Hereford bulls?<<

I know a ranch here in North Texas that is about 550,000 acres and runs about 14,000 mammas. The dominant breed is Hereford in both cows and bulls. They sell a ton of straight Herefords on Superior that sell right at the top with the blacks or crosses.

If your big enough you don't have to fork around with sale barn ignorance.

How big do you need to be in the USA to sell directly to the feedlots?

northtexas":228jzm7c said:
>>How big do you need to be in the USA to sell directly to the feedlots?<<

Probably around 80-100 cows. Most pens are a minimum of 40 head of like sex. If you were comfortable with a neighbor or cooperator you could commingle with smaller numbers.

So why do all the other breeds accept to take a beating at the salebarn when it can be avoided? Its not like 40 calves is a unsurmountable problem

the majority of cattlemen in my area, unfortunitly rely on the sale barn. because they calve year round and only have a handfull are so ready to go through out the year... the buyers here run around too several barns just so they can put uniform groups together

alacattleman":2v1dyzh1 said:
the majority of cattlemen in my area, unfortunitly rely on the sale barn. because they calve year round and only have a handfull are so ready to go through out the year... the buyers here run around too several barns just so they can put uniform groups together

That's why there are so many local sale barns. Where I live you can go to a sale everyday but Sunday and never drive over 60 miles. They all seem to do alright.

KNERSIE":1t22gfwk said:
northtexas":1t22gfwk said:
>>How big do you need to be in the USA to sell directly to the feedlots?<<

Probably around 80-100 cows. Most pens are a minimum of 40 head of like sex. If you were comfortable with a neighbor or cooperator you could commingle with smaller numbers.

So why do all the other breeds accept to take a beating at the salebarn when it can be avoided? Its not like 40 calves is a unsurmountable problem

The problem is that too many cattlemen have too many breeds and too much variability in the cow herd and/or they have too long a calving season. You can have two hundred cows; but if they calve out over six months, have white, red, black, grey, and yellow calves, multiple different frames, and weaning weights ranging from 355 to 805 pounds it can be really hard to sort out sexed uniform 40 to 50 head groups (and 80 - 100 head groups are preferred by some feedlots). Also the feedlot biz is concentrated in Texas, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, the Dakotas, and Iowa near the slaughter plants. My calves go to feedlots ~700 miles away and for folks who live in places like south Georgia and Florida they ride 1000 miles away. The distance makes it more difficult for us too negotiate directly with feedlots......most of whom do not have direct cattle buyers all over the country.

Latest posts