Hereford bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

P.A.L

Reaction score
HI,

I have opportunity buy semen from North-American bulls. I´d like to know what you think about these bulls? good and bad? Will my money be wasted.....

1. Star Lake Dandy 614R

2.Double-U Real Good 333R

3. Huth prospector KO85

Thanks,

P.A.L":3cs88st8 said:
HI,

I have opportunity buy semen from North-American bulls. I´d like to know what you think about these bulls? good and bad? Will my money be wasted.....

1. Star Lake Dandy 614R

2.Double-U Real Good 333R

3. Huth prospector KO85

Thanks,

Morning!......at least it is here...... :)

What are your plans for the bulls/herd? What is the genetic make-up and phenotype of the cows?

I´m try to get good heifers becouse i´m building bigger herd. Also for some cows i´d like to see more "beef and less fat", but "cow size" should be smaller....

My reason why i wrote here is i´d like to know would other people use them and what would they expect to get or got from these bulls...

I hope you understand what i´m trying to say....

I think I understand. You want a more moderate frame animal with a little more muscle. When you say "fat", are you referring to back fat (as in ultrasound data), or are you just referring to the fact that the examples you are seeing (perhaps at shows and sales), are cows that are fat and not "fit"?

P.A.L.

I am not sure about the first 2 bulls, however I know K085 is a very good maternal bull with good carcass traits. I would not say he could add much muscle as this is the one trait I feel his sire 3008 and paternal grandsire 517 lacked.

Tom

Some fat on cow is good in cold winters, but fat on bulls when slaughtered is very bad for grading. I founded semencatalog at starlake cattle ranch webpage. There was nice pictures of Dandy and Real Good. They are quite alike. Hard to choose from...

Listen PAL, ..... :D (just joking here....it's an American thing)

I understand you may be limited by what you are able to import, so your options are not as diverse as ours. Do you have a list in Finland of all the N. Amercian bulls that are available for export to your country? That would help.

Now, you listed 3 bulls and asked if we would use them, what we thought and what would we expect, so here is some food for thought and my own personal opinion.

I wouldn't use the Dandy bull. I think you will see allot of extra white, higher BW, and a bigger frame, plus he has an HY carrier in his background. Not sure I like his balance (from the photo) front to rear. He is also just now coming up on 2, and has not produced a bunch of calves, and has no daughters in production, so you can do allot better by finding a proven bull that will give you what you are looking for.

The Real Good bull seems decent, but again he is young and not proven, with no daughters in production. He will probably be the best at producing a more moderate frame and BW, but he carries a good portion of horned genetics behind him too.

The Huth bull is proven with good accuracies, and has daughters that are working and maintaining respectable performance in their contemporary groups. I just don't care for his front end. He should give a bigger frame too, despite his prospector background. If I were to pick one of the three it would be this bull.

It is just like Starlake states in their listing...these semen bulls are "products". Not all products are cracked up to what they are supposed to be. A good picture, and good show momma (a good label and advertising) can move product and make money...'for them"...at least until the general consensus and the semen sells tells them otherwise, then they will move the stock.. :D

What other bulls do you have to choose from? Do you have good udders on your females, or do you need some improvement there too?

Thanks for information 1848 and Tom,

I think our cows have a nice udders, I think.....

What is HY carrier?

The problem in importing semen is IBR vaccination. Semen from a vaccinated animal is not allowed to bring to the Europe.

I´m able to get semen from this bull also, What you think??
http://www.kcow.ca/0000pg.asp/ID/6844/SID/604

What is HY carrier?

It's a recessive gene:

"Hairlessness occurs in several breeds of beef cattle (Herefords being one). It expresses itself as complete or partial loss of hair. Calves are often born with no hair but will grow a short curly coat of hair with age. Affected individuals are prone to environmental stress (cold and wet) and skin infections are more prevalent. A recessive gene causes hairlessness."

P183 is a known carrier. He sired great females, but the gene is there. It's far enough back that it may not make much difference, but I told you in case that was a criteria for you.

As far as the last bull you listed? In his write up it says "no calf born over 94lbs"....geez......maybe he would not be good on heifers... :D ;-). I don't think the Huth bull will ruin an udder, but he may not improve one either. If you have good udders I think he would still be the safe bet.

I recommend the K085 bull. Huth's cattle are legit. His bulls hold up well over time. STAR breeding is popular but some of their bulls fade pretty fast. Most of all, use Tom's advice and stay away from bulls without progeny data until you get to the point where you really know cow families in the breed.

My money is where my mouth is . . . I bought a daughter out of one of K085's full sisters. She is a nice cow.

Pursue everything in moderation and keep your cattle balanced with your genetic engineering.

Take a look at this bull, SHF ribeye m326

His first calves will be hitting the ground this year. He is pigmented, out of a tremendous sire and his dam has great maternal qualities. ABS bought him at Denver this year for $34,000. His semen is going to be able to be exported soon I believe. There is a picture of him on http://www.sandhillfarms.com

From the photo of Rib Eye on the Sandhill Farms website, do you think he carries enough muscle? Has anyone seen him recently that would be able to comment on a more mature Rib Eye?

He is very young in the pic, and has been collected and bred cows. He will have plenty of muscle, people have described him as a "real beef bull".

Thank´s for everybody,

SHF bull looks good and seems to be profitable to the owner. 34,000 dollars :shock:. He must be a good bull and there got to be a huge market for semen...

I noticed that Ribeye has very good epds, but the fat epds not so good. How would it show in his calves?

P.A.L -I have a horned bull I leased to Genex that is European qualified he is F-R 552 Lad 20P. You can see him at crinet.com or braevallivestock.com. I think you'll like him he's a pretty practical type of Hereford bull that calves real well. Check him out see what you think.

Update:
I ordered Semen from Huth prospector, Starlake Dandy and one swedish bull (f:harvie jackpot). Interesting was that Dandy could not produce saleable semen!! So it seems that bull is out of use. Have they used him too much or what??. This year i got a few calves from Gh Rawhide 78k. Used it on our horned cows. They are small (about 38kg) BW and ready to go. grows very well...

greetings from Finland

P.A.L

Latest posts