Hereford bull ...

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Last November I posted a pic of a hereford weanling bull that was a "project". He's had a few months to eat ryegrass and gain. So the question now is:

1. cut him and butcher
2. sell him to someone else as a bull
3. keep him - he's only 1 and may look better.
4. let him fight it out with demetrius

before picture:
herefordbull2.jpg

current picture:

herefordbull012807.jpg

let me preface this by saying im a big fan of herefords. now this calf is over a year old? i cant see his sack, but doesnt look like a herd sire to me. especially after high quality feeding. if you have other bull calves i would say sell him or put him in the freezer.

Cypress I think you know what that bull needs. Let us know what you decide.

Cypress,
It appears that his pneumonia had set him back a bit. His structure has not changed, which none of us believed it would.
He is straight across the top and smooth shouldered. But lacks depth both in the heart and the flank and his pasturns are too long.
I have one alot like him here right now. His mane is RibEye.

I'm not sure that I remember his DOB but, as a young yearling he should have a bit more bloom to him I think. He should have more crest too...he should be more "bully" to an extent.

I've seen alot worse but there is better out there for a herd sire.
If it were me, I'd strike the deal with the neighbor. Let him supply the calf, you feed him and enjoy the steaks.

Have to say choice #1. Only because Demetrius might kill him. :lol:

Seriously though, why would you want to pour all the time and money into trying to raise your own bull from a limited selection when there are folks out there in the business of raising bulls for a living who are dying to sell you one? All things said and done you will wind up with over a grand in this fella, when you could buy a very nice warranteed bull for 2k or possibly less. What's a good calf crop worth to you?

cfpinz

cfpinz":s9y7ngg1 said:
Seriously though, why would you want to pour all the time and money into trying to raise your own bull from a limited selection when there are folks out there in the business of raising bulls for a living who are dying to sell you one? All things said and done you will wind up with over a grand in this fella, when you could buy a very nice warranteed bull for 2k or possibly less. What's a good calf crop worth to you?

cfpinz

cf,

Last fall A buddy of mine made me a deal with this guy: keep him over the winter and if he pans out I buy him on the cheap. If he doesn't then we butcher him and split the beef. About the only real out of pocket money that I've spent on him was for antibiotics when he got sick. He's been in a ryegrass field for the last couple of months. Cert is right in that he hasn't changed much structurally.

I was wondering if anyone else would notice how his rear feet are. He looks like he is permanentally standing on his "tippy toes". Defintely future rear feet problems.

Looks like we'll be having a BIG barbeque this spring :)

aplusmnt":fy00icj9 said:
cypressfarms":fy00icj9 said:

Let us know how that Certified Hereford Beef tast!

Ps. How is new job going? Did you get you a new truck?

Aplus, the new job is nice, but the commute is killing me. Got a new to me truck Saturday; put a picture of it and the new tractor in the tractor/equipment section

It's cold down here, so I know you've got to be cold???

cypressfarms":7g6tzdtk said:

What, did it get down in the 50s? Have to break out the insulated coveralls? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Mercury here has broke the 40 degree mark twice in the last two weeks. But it ain't muddy. :lol:

cfpinz

cfpinz":30ktamyq said:
cypressfarms":30ktamyq said:

What, did it get down in the 50s? Have to break out the insulated coveralls? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Mercury here has broke the 40 degree mark twice in the last two weeks. But it ain't muddy. :lol:

cfpinz

CF,

Funny you say 50 degree. It was 27 this morning and supposed to get to 50 today (Way too cold!). I live in LA. just so I don't have to deal with the cold. I can take hot weather, but I don't like the cold. :lol:

cypressfarms":2ez1by8y said:
aplusmnt":2ez1by8y said:
cypressfarms":2ez1by8y said:

Let us know how that Certified Hereford Beef tast!

Ps. How is new job going? Did you get you a new truck?

Aplus, the new job is nice, but the commute is killing me. Got a new to me truck Saturday; put a picture of it and the new tractor in the tractor/equipment section

I will go check them out!

Yep it is cold, we have had Snow and ice on ground for a couple weeks now, usually it is here a day or so and gone.

Latest posts