Hereford Bull x Charolais cows

Help Support CattleToday:

runner

Reaction score
Has anybody done this ?

How will this cross sale?

Will they out weigh angus cross calf's?

Yes, many times. I think they get within a nickel of blacks. Many times smoke and yellow sale as well here as blacks. In my opinion they will out weigh many crosses due to the charlois frame.

A charolais cow crossed with a hereford bull is an expensive way to do the cross. With hereford cows far more economical than charolais cows the difference is obvious.
Otherwise the breeds compliment each other well, balancing fat and muscle, early and later maturing and so on. A good feeder calf obviously.

With pure charolais cows however; I would recomend a limousine bull, to add growth and muscle.

I got a Herford bull to put on my angus crossed cows. I need a few more cows and charolais crossed cows are 400 or so cheaper then black cows.

Yes if starting over I would buy all Hereford cows too.

runner":3di2cnck said:
I got a Herford bull to put on my angus crossed cows. I need a few more cows and charolais crossed cows are 400 or so cheaper then black cows.

Yes if starting over I would buy all Hereford cows too.

Makes sense I guess.

Charolais X calves (greys and yellows) sells same as blacks/reds at one of our local sale barns. That said, they are usually out of charolais bulls OR charolais cross cows. Not too many people have straight charolais cows here other than a big purebred charolais herd few miles away from me and they are bred by a Hereford bull.

denvermartinfarms":3j5mvnt5 said:
runner":3j5mvnt5 said:
if starting over I would buy all Hereford cows too.
Me too!

I have been looking for Hereford cows but haven't had any luck finding any for sale around where I live. I have all black or black white face cows and would like to find a good Hereford bull but there hard to find to.

pricefarm":2nvsnxlx said:
denvermartinfarms":2nvsnxlx said:
runner":2nvsnxlx said:
if starting over I would buy all Hereford cows too.
Me too!

I have been looking for Hereford cows but haven't had any luck finding any for sale around where I live. I have all black or black white face cows and would like to find a good Hereford bull but there hard to find to.

Did you see the link I posted for SkyHook on another thread?

fitz

pricefarm":1u91tqbp said:
Most have missed that one. What is it under.

Re: Disappearance of the Hereford

Postby fitz » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:19 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Herfs are hard to find here... Well regular sized ones there are a ton of mini herfs here.

Check this out: http://www.knollcrestfarm.com Sale 12/05/14. 12:00 noon.

fitz

I aint never had much luck with Hereford and Char crossed animals. A guy I know just turned in some Beefmaster/Char calves in his oats and those calves are amazing.

Buckskins and whiteface-buckskins will outsell everything here. At least a nickel higher than blacks. Here, blacks traditionally head West, and buckskins head East. Eastern feedlots want yield AND quality, so buckskins fit the bill.

I have several Charolais cows and all have been bred to a hereford bull. I have kept approx 85% of the heifer calves. It is a great cross. The calves do sell with the blacks here. I have pureblood char cows and F-1 char x braunvieh cross bred to a hereford bull. I really don't know how efficient hereford cows are, as I have never owned any. But, have no complaints about the Char cows we have owned.

I will be selling several steer calves in the Spring. I have not been disappointed in the past.