Hereford Bull, World Class Disposition ?

Help Support CattleToday:

mattnoll

Reaction score
Does anyone know if DR World Class has ever been noted to throw disposion problems? I have a two year old cow out of him that wants to take you for month after calving.... I also have a pretty nice weaned heifer out of him that we wanted to make a 4H hiefer out of, but she is the wild-eyed kind. Push her and she'll come at you also. We put her in a lot by herself and she's went three days without eating....Was wondering if this is a known trait out of this bull or just a freak thing....the cow the heifer is out of is gentle and her calves are generally very gentle... Any help would be appreciated.

Any hereford bulls know for throwing extra docile offspring? Thank you!

I've never dealt with any World Class animals but I dealt with a few close relatives that were not easy to get along with. They were realy good cattle(for herefords :D ) but not of the temperment that you'd expect to see from Herefords.

I'm thinking there must be something to the wildness. Too bad...he brings a lot of good stuff to the table. Thanks for the replies. I'm new here and I always learn something...!

Got a world class bull out of an ozzie cow that was shown, he's a big easy going bull. I'm thinking you know where she needs to go though.

mattnoll":35dlt4da said:
Does anyone know if DR World Class has ever been noted to throw disposion problems? I have a two year old cow out of him that wants to take you for month after calving.... I also have a pretty nice weaned heifer out of him that we wanted to make a 4H hiefer out of, but she is the wild-eyed kind. Push her and she'll come at you also. We put her in a lot by herself and she's went three days without eating....Was wondering if this is a known trait out of this bull or just a freak thing....the cow the heifer is out of is gentle and her calves are generally very gentle... Any help would be appreciated.

Any hereford bulls know for throwing extra docile offspring? Thank you!

I think everyone is a little early for throwing this bull under the bus. I have had three calves out of World Class all turned to steers. Sounds to me you have a two yr old daughter, or first time heifer, if I'm right it's not uncommon to have a nervous first time mom. I have also had several Rib Eye calves, most are great easy going calves, but I have a real high headed weanling daughter this year, I really like her but if she doesn't calm down she's gone. Nothing to do with the sire or dam, she's just a knuckle head. Her siblings have always been good and my current clean up bull is a nice and calm Rib Eye son. So I wouldn't throw World Class under the bus yet.

JMO,
Alan

Alan":2x54z3q4 said:
Nothing to do with the sire or dam, she's just a knuckle head.
JMO,
Alan
The heritability of disposition is considered to be moderate. If it is not the way she has been handled then it could have everything to do with the sire and dam.

I have used 20+ straws on him about 7 years ago. I never noticed any disposition problems with him at all. I would be curious to know what the dam side of the equation is. I have also used his sire quite a bit, and never noticed any problems either. They were on very tame cows though. I am certainly not saying it can't happen because disposition can be a funny thing. Genetically it can hang around and show up at unopportune times and somtimes it can be a learned behavior. Their certainly are a few lines that I have noticed some dispositoin issues show up once in a while in my herd.

novatech":211lhu78 said:
Alan":211lhu78 said:
Nothing to do with the sire or dam, she's just a knuckle head.
JMO,
Alan
The heritability of disposition is considered to be moderate. If it is not the way she has been handled then it could have everything to do with the sire and dam.

I agree that it could very easily be an inherited trait, but there is far too many factors in what makes a calf high headed or what I like to call a knuckle head. As mentioned before it could be how the calf was handled, or a learned trait from other calves or cattle, could be getting abused in the pasture by yotes or dogs. Also I'm talking about flighty calves not mean tear you up calves. I feel hot tempered is inherited, flighty could be any one or more of many things. Heifers with their first newborn on the ground are always ones to keep your eye on, but most of them and all of mine settle down, it's required to stay on my place.

In short I don't think World Class has a problem with temperament.

Alan

I was at the dispersal of Curtis Polled Herefords (owner of World Class) this past October and they sold 25 daughters of World Class. I walked the pens and never noticed anything wrong with any World Class genetics and world class runs deep in there herd. I bought a World Class daughter and she is the calmest cow. If you have any concern contact them and they will tell you about him.

Alan, Thanks for the information. This is the info I was looking for. I have been pleased with the young heifer, all except the attitude. And I agree that the first time heifer was just nervous and she really reacted to small people around her calf. This young heifer has me stumped though. You can walk out and pet her mother on the back any day. She had never produced a wild calf before. I think I'll just chalk it up to being a freak occurance and not be afraid to use him again.. matt

Our Bear Market bull has a great disposition and you can see that in his calves.
Had a Churchill Domino 7139T that had a bad attitude and passed it on to some of his offspring. We shipped one of his daughters recently due to fence crawling, the bull liked to stick his head under our fence and left it up.

I have 3 yearling on the ground from world class. One steer and two heifers. They are just as calm as any of my other calves but so are there mothers. I have one steer from other genetics thats a nut and his mother is already hamburger so I doubt its world class and just the specific animal. By the way my world class heifer is the best out of the group of A.I.calves.

Thought she was going to be crazy, but I'd go for skittish right now. First to back away from the bunk, first to raise her head at dogs, kids, etc.. Put her in the barn with a R294 heifer and she is calming down ok. Still haven't put a rope on her though... She is a goggle-eyed deep broody looking heifer, that I really want to put back into the herd...