hereford bull - "the pneumonia kid"

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
This past January I posted pics of a hereford bull that A pal and me had a project going with. Thought I would put up a before pic, and today's pics. My pal has decided to keep the hereford as a bull, instead of the popular bar b que option picked in January. He's brought three of his brahman cows over to breed the bull with to get tigerstripes. I keep them in a side pasture that I don't use much.

He's 17 month's old now

Anyone see ANY improvement?????

Before
herefordbull2.jpg

Now:
herf2.jpg

herf1.jpg

Not really. He still looks more like a female than male.

No one wants a bull with a thin neck.

You gave it your best though.

If your friend uses this bull for breeding we can tell what kind of cattleman he is. :lol:

Hey cypressfarms,

It is good to see you posting. I have not seen you in here for a while. :) That is a good looking bull. How old is he ?

MikeC":136xl8f9 said:
Not really.

If your friend uses this bull for breeding we can tell what kind of cattleman he is. :lol:

He's only interested in producing tigers, because that's the "latest". He's a nice guy, real friendly, but not too far sighted.

cypressfarms said:
He's 17 month's old now

Anyone see ANY improvement?????

quote]

To be honest . . . not really. For a 17 mth bull I would have expected him to be a lot thicker, more masculine and the butt could be better. As was mentioned he looks old on his feet. And as was also mentioned he looks like a female or a steer. Sorry. I'm sure you and your friend have invested time and money in this bull. Maybe he will fit in your friend's herd.

Brandonm2":of8ipici said:
I don't like his wheels at all. Has he been in a small paddock this whole time?

Look at the bright side, if it ever snows in LA the bull won't need skis!

cfpinz

he developed pretty much as I thought back in January, a bull calf should look like a bull from the time it is 6 months old, otherwise it never will.

The first thing that jumped out at me was his butt, or actually lack of same. I never got past that. Is he a brother (sister) to Demetrius?

Caustic Burno":2o2o1jwt said:
Cypress can you get the guy to buy your share in ?

Yep, that I've already done. The original agreement was that if the weanling bull didn't pan out we would sell him and split it, or butcher. He wanted to keep him as a bull, so he ponied up 1/2 of what we thought was a fair price for a normal hereford bull.

Dun":2o2o1jwt said:
The first thing that jumped out at me was his butt, or actually lack of same. I never got past that. Is he a brother (sister) to Demetrius?

Dun, hermafradite (sp) sister; and by the way Demetrius kicked his butt.

cypressfarms":20d5e6i6 said:
Caustic Burno":20d5e6i6 said:
Cypress can you get the guy to buy your share in ?

Yep, that I've already done. The original agreement was that if the weanling bull didn't pan out we would sell him and split it, or butcher. He wanted to keep him as a bull, so he ponied up 1/2 of what we thought was a fair price for a normal hereford bull.

Dun":20d5e6i6 said:

Dun, hermafradite (sp) sister; and by the way Demetrius kicked his butt.

So that's where his butt went!

I agree with the other opinions.. I don't care for him much either, and definately not for a bull.

Also, where you've had a problem with pnuemonia in the past with him, you'll need to keep a close eye on him. They have a history of being "hard doers" and run a higher risk of catching something again.

This is another prime example of a cattleman thinking he's saving money by not buying a sire that will improve his herd.

He'll pay in the long run...................................

Bull Lady is right on the money about pneumonia. Pneumonia survivors should never be kept for breeding stock.

Latest posts