Hereford Bull Show At Tulsa State Fair

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowhereford II

Reaction score
Watched the last half of the bull show at TSF this morning. My personal favorite of the bunch was picked Champion Hereford Bull. Owned by Malone Hereford Farm of Emporia Kansas, GHCC Freightliner S4. He also was Grand Champion Bull at 2008 MO State Fair and the Ozark Empire Fair. Sired by AA PRF Wideload and out of a daughter of KFF Pounder 15D 305. He will be in the Show-Me Polled Hereford Classic sale on Nov. 15. Malone is selling a heifer bred to this bull in the same sale.

The bull is very long, thick, with a lot of rib.

On another note, the heifer that recently beat us locally stood second in her class this morning.

The Hereford breed was well represented this year, with a good number of entries.

Boy I woulda loved watching some of those cattle shows...my brother came home from the TSF yesterday and was tellin me about some he watched. :( :) (My Dad, brother and sister were there Thursday and Friday, showing Dairy goats. )

I'm still here in Tulsa. Leave in the morning.

I missed the Hereford show, but did wonder through their aisles and saw some very nice animals. I'll make sure to take a good look at that bull in the morning. Did get to watch parts of the Limousin, Charolais, Watusi, Brahmasousin, Belgian Blues, and one other breeds shows, besides showing my own cattle. I always enjoy Tulsa, with all the breeds being here simultaneously. Hadn't been here in 6 or so years, glad I came back.

Ryan

I made it a point to go look at him this morning before I loaded out. I do not think he is necessarily "swaybacked" but he could be stronger topped. He is what I would call a little "soft" in his topline. Hope that makes sense. There is a lot of bull there. He is especially impressive when you stand behind him. Has a nice rear end on him, and his rear legs seem to be sound. However, I do have a BIG concern with his front legs. His front feet do not come close to pointing in the right direction, they point outwards. I didnt not get to see him walk, but I did see him moving around while tied up so i could tell it was not just the way he was standing. You can also see in his pictures that the front feet do not look correct.

Again, there is a lot of quality in that bull, phenotypically. But I would like to fix those front feet.

Ryan

Ryan":1afhvo1d said:
I made it a point to go look at him this morning before I loaded out. I do not think he is necessarily "swaybacked" but he could be stronger topped. He is what I would call a little "soft" in his topline. Hope that makes sense. There is a lot of bull there. He is especially impressive when you stand behind him. Has a nice rear end on him, and his rear legs seem to be sound. However, I do have a BIG concern with his front legs. His front feet do not come close to pointing in the right direction, they point outwards. I didnt not get to see him walk, but I did see him moving around while tied up so i could tell it was not just the way he was standing. You can also see in his pictures that the front feet do not look correct.

Again, there is a lot of quality in that bull, phenotypically. But I would like to fix those front feet.

Ryan
Ryan-

You know my attitude about judging an animal strictly from a "picture", however, inasmuch as this picture is the only criterion by which we can analyize him on the "net", I have to judge him accordingly.

Look at his upper front leg (right leg in this case) very critically! Don't 'give' him any leeway or slack in your mind! His upper leg appears "open-shouldered, and slightly under-developed . Also, I think that his topline IS weak, and IF he were to present a level topline, this action would allow his scapulae (shoulder blades) to 'spread' slightly, thereby, through retroactive movement, allow his Humerous bones to move laterally and his front hooves to pronate (move inward, or straighten forward). This is NOT just the way he is standing, but is a physical characteristic - or Phenotypic blemish.

Just my opinion.

DOC HARRIS

Now I see the new ad in the hereford america paper. He does look like a nice bull, but I also see the faults Ryan pointed out. I'd like to make it to that sale. It looks like there will be some nice cattle available.

DOC HARRIS":2j8gwsp6 said:
Ryan":2j8gwsp6 said:

Ryan
Ryan-

You know my attitude about judging an animal strictly from a "picture", however, inasmuch as this picture is the only criterion by which we can analyize him on the "net", I have to judge him accordingly.

Look at his upper front leg (right leg in this case) very critically! Don't 'give' him any leeway or slack in your mind! His upper leg appears "open-shouldered, and slightly under-developed . Also, I think that his topline IS weak, and IF he were to present a level topline, this action would allow his scapulae (shoulder blades) to 'spread' slightly, thereby, through retroactive movement, allow his Humerous bones to move laterally and his front hooves to pronate (move inward, or straighten forward). This is NOT just the way he is standing, but is a physical characteristic - or Phenotypic blemish.

Just my opinion.

DOC HARRIS

Doc here is a scan of his new photo:

The right front foot is the primary problem, and the judge pointed it out, but still felt he was the best overall package. It wasn't as noticable until you got close. Ryan, wish I'd known who you were, I'd have said "HI."

I was out there Saturday and saw some great looking bulls, and heifers. I watched the entire Limousin heifer and bull shows. There were a few really nice young bulls represented there this year.

Limomike":37j2vgb4 said:
I was out there Saturday and saw some great looking bulls, and heifers. I watched the entire Limousin heifer and bull shows. There were a few really nice young bulls represented there this year.

I watched most of the female show, got busy doing stuff and didnt make it back in to see any of the bull show. Really nice show. There were some really nice females, especially liked a couple of the reds.

Ryan

DOC HARRIS":210kmkec said:
Ryan":210kmkec said:

Ryan
Ryan-

Just my opinion.

DOC HARRIS

Doc, that bull had one of the stronger toplines in the bunch when viewed in person. Again, I agree that there is a fault in the positioning of the front feet, particularly the right, but his topline has apparently strengthened versus the younger photo. He actually didn't move out and walk too badly when viewed from a ways off. You had to be up pretty close to watch that foot come down out of position.

greenwillowhereford II":bx91i6ke said:
Watched the last half of the bull show at TSF this morning. My personal favorite of the bunch was picked Champion Hereford Bull. Owned by Malone Hereford Farm of Emporia Kansas, GHCC Freightliner S4. He also was Grand Champion Bull at 2008 MO State Fair and the Ozark Empire Fair. Sired by AA PRF Wideload and out of a daughter of KFF Pounder 15D 305. He will be in the Show-Me Polled Hereford Classic sale on Nov. 15. Malone is selling a heifer bred to this bull in the same sale.

On another note, the heifer that recently beat us locally stood second in her class this morning.

The Hereford breed was well represented this year, with a good number of entries.

This bull sold today 25% for $8000 going to Canada

DFF":txy8srpa said:
greenwillowhereford II":txy8srpa said:

I saw him sell today on Liveauctions. What was your opinion of the offering as a whole? Were those heifers at the end worth more than the $6-900 they brought? Most of them didn't have pictures and you can't tell too much about the quality over the internet video.

CPL":30j4hlb6 said:
DFF":30j4hlb6 said:
greenwillowhereford II":30j4hlb6 said:

I saw him sell today on Liveauctions. What was your opinion of the offering as a whole? Were those heifers at the end worth more than the $6-900 they brought? Most of them didn't have pictures and you can't tell too much about the quality over the internet video.
They were bringing about what I thought they should, as I was contending bidder on a few of them!
You know, finer boned, flat sided, pedigrees,epds etc. not so favorable. You know they are at the end of sale for 1 reason or another. all in all a decent sale bred hfrs. about what I have seen all fall in this area. DFF

Latest posts