Hereford Bull question.

Help Support CattleToday:

Belzora

Reaction score
I bought 10 heavy bred (black) brangus heifers just before Christmas. They were supposedly bred to angus bulls but it turns out a Hereford bull got in with them at some time. The first calf came out as a baldie which I would suspect. Well the second calf came out solid red. I know a Hereford bull and black cow can have red calves if the mother is not a true black cow, but wouldn't it be a red white face instead of a solid red?

I run hereford bulls on black cows and 2 days ago had a calf that is solid red except for 2 very small white marks on his jaw line. Surprised me I have several red baldies every year but never a dark solid red calf like this. I bet the brangus/hereford calves will be nice, it's my favorite cross.

interesting. I was just expecting to have black calves but now it's a surprise what will come out lol

If the hereford bull was not 100% hereford and the cow not 100% black bloodline, easily. I had an all brown heifer calf come out of a black brangus bull and a black brangus cow...... go figure... she looks like a darn red brangus... doesn't fit the other cows...

BK9954":3mpjyslh said:
If the hereford bull was not 100% hereford and the cow not 100% black bloodline, easily. I had an all brown heifer calf come out of a black brangus bull and a black brangus cow...... go figure... she looks like a darn red brangus... doesn't fit the other cows...
Good looking girl..

Belzora":vkyrbzph said:
I bought 10 heavy bred (black) brangus heifers just before Christmas. They were supposedly bred to angus bulls but it turns out a Hereford bull got in with them at some time. The first calf came out as a baldie which I would suspect. Well the second calf came out solid red. I know a Hereford bull and black cow can have red calves if the mother is not a true black cow, but wouldn't it be a red white face instead of a solid red?

I ask the same question to the AHA on a registered Angus bull and Hereford cow that threw a solid black.
The answer I got back was the Hereford carried two recessive white face genes.

Latest posts