Hereford bull comparisons

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
Thinking about going to look at these two herefords to cover gerts. Sale barn for bull calves, may retain a few heifers if they look promising.
One is DKM P606 MR BOOMER 1019 ET (P43143634)
a PW VICTOR BOOMER P606 over BLJ WPHF WV TORI 271

The other is DKM TIMELY MAN 743 1020 (P43089000)
CRR ABOUT TIME 743 over DKM P606 FANCY LADY R05

You guys got any input?

The P606 influence in both should make both of them very maternal, the About Time son should be more powerful than the direct son of P606.

Without seeing the bulls going by the numbers and a little personal taste. I like the About Time better, just going off the EPD's, according to the numbers, he's an easier calving bull, they both have about the same growth traits and I like carcass traits better on 743, more marbling while respectable Rib eye. As far as p606, I have always felt a little uneasy about him due his calving ease, but P606 has been used for years and has a ton of use. 743 is done already.

Just some of my thoughts,
Alan

Just based on EPD's I think I like the 743 bull a little better. Gonna try go view them soon.

I would say that you can just about call the epds even, except for the bw and CE numbers of which the Boomer 1019 bull doesn't appear to have any data turned in to the association on him. The cow side of him does have a lot of data mostly through ET calves which may be good or bad depending on who did it. What are his actuals or have they even been taken? The 743 does have good ratios for CE and BW although not a lot of quality data going into those numbers.
It really depends on what your looking for. The about time calves I have seen have been very inconsistent in terms of volume and muscle mass. I know of a couple that got extremely thin during the breeding season this past summer. Not a big fan of 743's pedigree either, but the 29F bull may be far enough back to get away with it. I have not seen any 743 daughters in production either. I would scrutinize the cow families behind each bull if it was me. I don't know if you realize it, but they both have a chance of being HY carriers if that matters to you.

Good Luck

Brian

Thanks Brian. What are the chances of the HY carrier status giving me any problems in a gert cross. Also what family lines do you prefer. I have found a few other options one possible bull is 43068050. Doesn't look like much data available. Also a bull out of 42538188 Lagrand Domino 39p. I don't have the actucal bull's reg number yet just his sire.

It might not bother you at all in your first generation, but I don't know much about gerts. Introducing recessive traits into a cowherd can have negative repercussions down the road. It is even poSsible that with so many of these breeds that have open herdbooks could actually have these recessive genetics laying in wait from many years back.

As far as bloodlines go, there are lots of ways to go depending on the goals of your breeding program. Pedigrees may not be as important as who you buy them from. Buy from someone with the same philosophy of breeeding that you have. For instance If your looking to make efficient trouble free cows don't go buy your bulls from an operation who will sell their soul to produce the next champion at the fair or an opertion that is focused soley on epds or carcass traits. So many breedings programs are simply about marketing what they raise or what is popular now. For example I myself am not a big believer of remital cattle, but I am using a P606 son I raised and an M326 son out of a 1250lb P606 cow that consitantly raises my biggest calf. I have not had a chance to look up the bulls from your last post, but will when I get home
Hope this helps

Brian

Latest posts