Hereford bull calf, tell what you think

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
O.k., the search is on. I've made the decision to change a couple of bulls in my operation. Here is a 8 month old bull calf that I'm looking at. Haven't seen him in the flesh yet. I'm interested in everyone's opinions. I'm methodical in how I pick out bulls.

The bull calf:
bullcalf1-2.jpg

bullcalf1-1.jpg

The bull calves dam:
bullcalf1.jpg

The bulls sire, Star19DLibertyPaceMA 11663251 purchased from Star Lake Polled Hereford farm:
STAR19DLibertyPaceMA11663251-0001.jpg

I'm also looking at a 2 year old pictured below, but he's not polled unfortunately:
johnhornherford.jpg

keep looking,,, post legged framey outfit the owner must be stingy with his bander, you dont need that on your brangus momas you need a moderate framed meat wagon,

alacattleman":2nbrcltq said:
keep looking,,, post legged framey outfit the owner must be stingy with his bander, you dont need that on your brangus momas you need a moderate framed meat wagon,

i also saw a head too feminine, but he's not mine so I'm asking for opinions. I like his sire though.

cypressfarms":2sbaroc5 said:
alacattleman":2sbaroc5 said:

i also saw a head too feminine, but he's not mine so I'm asking for opinions. I like his sire though.

But if the traits that make you like the sire are not present in the calf what good does that do? I don't really like the calf, or his dam for that matter.

CPL":2flsdn2l said:
cypressfarms":2flsdn2l said:
alacattleman":2flsdn2l said:

But if the traits that make you like the sire are not present in the calf what good does that do? I don't really like the calf, or his dam for that matter.
right, thats why alot of registerd stock goes intact.. his sire was good so he should make a breeder

I don't like the calf or the dam at all, the sire looks pretty good though, see if you can buy him. :lol2:

I've seen better bull calves then that one, sorry.
If you want a Hereford look around for a yearling or a 2 yo bull instead.

The bull calf looks like a heifer, far to feminine to do any good with your herd and the dam is nothing special either. I like the sire somewhat . I've seen pics of your cattle and they are far better than these.

Why are you looking for a herf bull to begin with ,I thought you were angus and brangus ?

You might look into a Gelbvieh bull for heterosis (no not trying to pimp them) but they do well in your part of the world and have alot to add as far as muscling and easy keeping.

I would keep looking though, these are not good enough for your herd and will only set you back.

Why a Hereford? I know where there is a KILLER white faced Simmental bull! :cowboy: He would sure make some pretty babies on a Brangus. And his dam is an excellent milker.

Mudslide2.jpg

hillsdown":1a2e3i17 said:
Why are you looking for a herf bull to begin with ,I thought you were angus and brangus ?

You might look into a Gelbvieh bull for heterosis (no not trying to pimp them)

The problem is most Gelbviehs in the USA are bred up to purebred with Angus. So while there'd still be heterosis in the fact that you're using a high % Gelb bull on Angus cows, you'd still get more of the advantages of heterosis by using a fullblood bull (of any breed, but in this case Hereford).

CPL":2pj0hsi2 said:
hillsdown":2pj0hsi2 said:

The problem is most Gelbviehs in the USA are bred up to purebred with Angus. So while there'd still be heterosis in the fact that you're using a high % Gelb bull on Angus cows, you'd still get more of the advantages of heterosis by using a fullblood bull (of any breed, but in this case Hereford).

The Red Gelbvieh don't have squat for Angus blood in them, and most of the "purebred" black GV's are 97% you gonna tell us that that 3% Angus is going to mitigate the heterosis when crossed with an Angus.
I am willing to be proven wrong, I just don't think I am.

3waycross":3kkcmvk8 said:
CPL":3kkcmvk8 said:
hillsdown":3kkcmvk8 said:

The Red Gelbvieh don't have squat for Angus blood in them, and most of the "purebred" black GV's are 97% you gonna tell us that that 3% Angus is going to mitigate the heterosis when crossed with an Angus.
I am willing to be proven wrong, I just don't think I am.

The thing is, even with a 3% Angus, the angus genetics are still back there. Say you had an angus cow and an angus bull who did not share any common bloodlines until many generations back, you would still get MORE hybrid vigor by using a bull who had NO angus percentage in his bloodline.

To the average producer it may not matter, but I was just pointing out that there is more of an advantage in crossing a full blood hereford on a full blood angus than a percentage angus on a full blood angus. The Hereford x Angus would be a true F1 (50-50), while the % Angus x Angus would not quite be a true F1- and research shows the true F1's are where most of the benefits of heterosis are seen.

I guess I should step in and explain my purpose for putting the pic of this bull calf up, before everyone thinks I've lost my mind. About a week or two ago I was calling around to local hereford breeders and asking about bulls. One lady (her farm will remain nameless for obvious reasons) told me she had some excellent stock. She threw out pedigree names with pride and bragged about how successful she's been at showing and how much she values her customers and has many repeats. She talked a real good game. I asked her to send me some pics of the young bulls that she thought would be good bull stock. She sent me pics of three bull calves - the one I posted was the best of the three!

I got pretty upset at this lady, she basically has wasted my time. She has three steers, in my opinion. I can't really find anything good to say about any of the three calves. So I started to wonder, how many people are selling bulls like this for breeding purposes, and worse, how many people are buying this junk to be herd sires. Sure the sire that they were a.i.'d from looks decent, but he's no show stopper. I wanted to see if the CT members saw it like I did. For those of you who know me already, you know I like to post pictures to see other people's opinions. Sometimes just to see if most people agree with me, sometimes just to have fun with an obvious dud.

There is no way that I would put my herd of cows, which I think are pretty good commercial cows, with a mediocre bull. It's not worth it - as I put in another thread the bull is an extremely important part of your herd(well at least 50%). I want my cows to start throwing "thicker" calves and that's why I'm looking for another bull. I'll probably still keep my old trusty Angus plus - because he makes some beautiful replacements.

Anyway, just wanted to clear the air before too many people thought I had fell of my rocker. Not to worry, I don't even own a rocker ;-)

RD-Sam":oefu8p7d said:
I don't like the calf or the dam at all, the sire looks pretty good though, see if you can buy him. :lol2:
My thoughts exactly. The horned hereford looks pretty good too, I just don't "do" horns anymore.

I'd keep looking if I were you, the horned bull is certainly closer to the type you need, but I need to see more of him to really make any suggestions.

Latest posts