Hereford bull calf - 1 month

Help Support CattleToday:

OLF

Reaction score
901Wa.jpg

901W.jpg

We're excited about this one. Time will tell. He's a Super Duty out of a Catalina. I know the ear tag is wrong, he hasn't been tatooed yet, he'll be 901W.

Thanks bigbull, I'll update in the fall. If he develops well, we may drag him to a couple local shows this summer.

They're all smooth polled, they just have there fuzzy winter caps on.

OLF

HerefordSire":15dx3iz2 said:
What is that calf worth about $5K?

Is that an offer? I purchased his dam (safe to Super Duty) at the Remitall sale for $2300. That was before Super Duty sold for $270,000.00. I'm not sure what we'll do with him. Maybe show him. Maybe send him to a bull test station in NY or VA. It's difficult to market bulls in New England, so we'll just watch him develop and make some decisions this Summer.

OLF":3514h4a1 said:
HerefordSire":3514h4a1 said:

Is that an offer? I purchased his dam (safe to Super Duty) at the Remitall sale for $2300. That was before Super Duty sold for $270,000.00. I'm not sure what we'll do with him. Maybe show him. Maybe send him to a bull test station in NY or VA. It's difficult to market bulls in New England, so we'll just watch him develop and make some decisions this Summer.

I think $5K is in the ball park. He has herd sire written all over him. I am a Catalina 24H freak. What was his BW? Did you sign any DNA agreement?

There is alot to like about this calf, like his head, chest width and muscle on the round, unfortunately there are also early warning signs. Its still early days, but take a photo of him at exactly two months old and compare that to him when he is two years old and you'll be surprised at how similar he'll look.

HerefordSire":bu5jvqa3 said:
OLF":bu5jvqa3 said:
HerefordSire":bu5jvqa3 said:

I think $5K is in the ball park. He has herd sire written all over him. I am a Catalina 24H freak. What was his BW? Did you sign any DNA agreement?

I like the sound of $5K, we'll see how he does. I'm with you on 24H. I purchased two Catalinas and a Marvel at Remitall. The other Catalina will calve in March. The calf had a 98lb BW. It sounds high, but my herd averages 96lbs on bull calves. I'm happy when they are below 100. I had a 110lb Progress calf last night. That is high, but the dam had 118 pounder last year, so Progress did his job and brought the BW down (relatively speaking). There was no DNA agreement, I think everything sold 'as is'.

KNERSIE":bu5jvqa3 said:
There is alot to like about this calf, like his head, chest width and muscle on the round, unfortunately there are also early warning signs. Its still early days, but take a photo of him at exactly two months old and compare that to him when he is two years old and you'll be surprised at how similar he'll look.

I agree. I like him alot, but I would like him smoother through the shoulder and he's a little straight through the front pasterns when he walks, I'm hoping they will loosen up with time. That's interesting about the two months, I'll definitely take a picture. Thanks

HerefordSire":3iafod8h said:
I like the sound of $100K. How close is 24H in the pedigree?

SOLD!!! When do you want to pick him up?

24H is actually the dam's paternal granddam. The maternal granddam is 139C (24H's dam). Also 24H shows up in the calf''s sire's pedigree. The bull calf is triple bred Catalina 139C, with 24H showing up twice. Maybe it's easier to just look at the pedigrees:

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-b...56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5A5D5C222422262124&9=5B5C5D
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-b...56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5A5D5C225A25252424&9=5B5B5E

My other Catalina is out of a Keynote x 24H daughter. She will have a Silencer calf in March.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-b...56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5A5D5C222422262123&9=5B5B5A

OLF":25gzp56a said:
HerefordSire":25gzp56a said:
I like the sound of $100K. How close is 24H in the pedigree?

SOLD!!! When do you want to pick him up?

24H is actually the dam's paternal granddam. The maternal granddam is 139C (24H's dam). Also 24H shows up in the calf''s sire's pedigree. The bull calf is triple bred Catalina 139C, with 24H showing up twice. Maybe it's easier to just look at the pedigrees:

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-b...56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5A5D5C222422262124&9=5B5C5D
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-b...56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5A5D5C225A25252424&9=5B5B5E

My other Catalina is out of a Keynote x 24H daughter. She will have a Silencer calf in March.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-b...56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5A5D5C222422262123&9=5B5B5A

I sure do like the way you do business. You practically stole those bred cows. I am very excited for you. The Silencer calf looks exciting on paper. What do you intend to breed the cows with next time? How much did delivery to your place cost from the Remitall sale?

HerefordSire":3oc9o16h said:
I sure do like the way you do business. You practically stole those bred cows. I am very excited for you. The Silencer calf looks exciting on paper. What do you intend to breed the cows with next time? How much did delivery to your place cost from the Remitall sale?

I think I got some good deals on the cattle. I bought 3 bred cows and a weanling bull for $8000. I would like to have gotten some of those $10,000 cows, but I just don't have the market to ever make them pay. I paid $2000 to have them shipped. From Alberta to NH, with high fuel prices, I don't see how the shipper made much. Fortunately, there were also cattle going to NY and VT. I'm excited about the Silencer calf, hopefully a heifer. So far I have 4 bulls and 2 heifers, and the heifers are a set of twins. Last year was 22 bulls and 8 heifers, something has to give. As far as breeding, I'm not sure. I have some Route 66 semen if I want to stay with Remitall lines. I also have some Domino 146 (Keynote son). If I really want to mix it up, I may go with RHF Victor 424 218. I used him ten years ago and really liked his daughters. I just recently acquired some of his limited supply of semen. Other options: Neon, Durango, Sonora, Bennett, Progress. I'll spend alot of time in the next couple months comparing everyone's strengths, weaknesses and numbers. It's a great time of year, I love calving and I love planning breedings.

Latest posts