Hereford angus F1

Help Support CattleToday:

Rniemann

Reaction score
Gonna have some F1's coming and may plan to keep a few of the heifer calves. What would you back on them w? Another angus, hereford, something else? Advantage for any one in particular?

Next calves would be terminal for me or possible replacement for others

we are crossing back over our baldies with gelbvieh since its got good growth and maternal traits.

Where are you? If you're in the southern part of the US you might want to consider something with some ear, such as Brangus or Beefmaster. Farther north they probably wouldn't do as well.

Get a good quality Black Hereford bull that is Homozygous Black and you will get some really nice black hided calves to market.
This will give you some structure and traits for replacements as well.

etmountianman71":eahkpix9 said:
Get a good quality Black Hereford bull that is Homozygous Black and you will get some really nice black hided calves to market.

I like this idea for sure if you are wanting to keep the Black baldies coming. You could also put a good Charolais bull on them and get some gray white face and yellow white face calves. Being half Charolais they will grow really well and sale great at the barn.

etmountianman71":cog00h5j said:
I would be wary of using black Hereford on red herefords or baldy cows....too much Hereford blood in the calves and the buyers may dock you for that.

Muddy":2svy3bxv said:
etmountianman71":2svy3bxv said:
I would be wary of using black Hereford on red herefords or baldy cows....too much Hereford blood in the calves and the buyers may dock you for that.

No such thing as a black hereford

AllForage":hi5tialy said:
Muddy":hi5tialy said:
etmountianman71":hi5tialy said:

No such thing as a black hereford

Ain't that the truth!

Sure there is black Herefords I seem some the other day. They was out of registered stock Registered Hereford bull and registered angus cows. These that I saw wasn't registered cause it cost to much.

bmoore87":1sh5jc0w said:
we are crossing back over our baldies with gelbvieh since its got good growth and maternal traits.

I like that or a black Simmental.

Black Hereford is a registered Breed and a legit good cross from the Angus and Hereford. Just as with any other breed you will have some good animals and bad. Angus is a top breed but we all see bad Angus cattle and I really like mine.
Save this for another thread as not to steal this one.

Using the F1s as you state will provide you with some good milk (Angus-Hereford cross) and using bull with real good EPD's should do you a positive at the sale barn for commercial cattle. Location will also play a difference so check with several different sale barns in your area because you can have some that are run by (close minded) groups who control who sales what and how much they bring.
Are you looking for structure, fast growth, or overall performance?

I see no reason to using a black Hereford on black baldy cows. I would use a bull of any continental breed on the black baldy cows to get more pounds in the calves.

I see no advantage to using a so-called black Hereford,but I do see several disadvantages. Since we are talking about terminal and possibly some heifers to sell as breeding stock, I would much rather consider going with a Simmy or GV. Both will give you a great three-way cross, and also deliver some very good maternal traits to your F1 Angus/Hereford. If looking for strictly terminal, I would look at Simmental, limousin, or Char. If you are in the deep South, then a good solid Beefmaster or Brangus bull might also be a good choice. Or Simbrah. Of course, if I were breed pimping, I would go with the Simmental. LOL. If everybody is being honest, there are a lot of solid directions you can go with your cattle.

Latest posts