hereford and cancer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

G'day
i am a young farmer very interested in herefords but have heard that they can get nose and eye cancer because of the white on their faces.if anyone can clear this up, please help. is it only bad in hot climates? i live in southern Australia.
Many thanks,
Jaimie RM :cboy:

Jaimie RM":1ds72jmw said:
G'day
i am a young farmer very interested in herefords but have heard that they can get nose and eye cancer because of the white on their faces.if anyone can clear this up, please help. is it only bad in hot climates? i live in southern Australia.
Many thanks,

While it may be more common in Herefords, I don't think any breed of cattle is realy immune to it. The only cows I've ever seen with eye cancer where 1 Holstein and 2 solid black Angus cows. I know Herefords can get it, but I've talked to several fairly large (a couple of hundred head each) Hereford breeders and none of them have had it. Of course they're relative rookies and have only been running Herefords for 15-30 years.
I sometimes wonder if it may have a genetic link somewhere.
If it was a really significant problem, Herefords wouldn't still be around!

dun

Dun........The majority of cancer eye, we have seen here seems to be in the charolais breed.I don,t think I have ever seen a hereford with cancer eye
Could be a genetic thing as you said. :)

That's why I wonder if it isn't a gene thing. Some lines being more prone to it then others.

dun

Jaimie RM":xnozg6ua said:
G'day
Many thanks,

Go with Murray Grey's, you should have access to the best genetics being "down under". :cboy:

The last time I saw eye cancer in Herefords was in the late 1960's. My maternal grandparent's home was walking distance from the cattle auction barn and I spent numerous Saturday's there as a child. I saw the 1,500-2,000 or so head they ran through each week with the probing eye of a fascinated child. There would be one or two Herefords each week with a bad eye. I haven't seen it since then. Pigment is now allowable around the Herefords' eyes and that may make a difference. (But some breeders are going WAY TOO FAR with this!)

Thankx guys for all of the replies.

my mum and dad breed angus and belted galloways but i have loved the herefords as a child. i will probably start breeding with them. springer farms murray dre, i love murray greys too. so cute!!!

thankx again for replies :cboy: