Hereford AI Sires

Help Support CattleToday:

Larzbarz said:
I really like that first heifer. Thanks for the pics.

We're going with Cuda again this year, then probably try something new next year.

Thanks! Yeah she caught the eye of our AHA field man when he made a visit recent too. Her mother is probably our best cow who has 3 daughters in our herd right now.

76 Bar said:
Impressive calves, cows AND forage SPH!

Thanks, we just turned cattle out to pasture a week ago with the bull after we did a round of synched heat for AI and have had some timely rain here lately too so they have some good eating right now. It won't look that nice later this summer I'm sure but we do rotation grazing so we can try and stretch the acres we have so as long as we don't get prolonged dry spells the first pasture they start out on that we let rest should have some decent regrowth by the time we are ready to use it again in late summer or early fall.

Larzbarz, Those are some nice looking Cuda heifers. What kind of birth weights are you seeing out of Cuda? Would you use him on heifers?

We only had 4 calves out of him. We don't record BW, so I really couldn't tell you there. We didn't breed him to any heifers, but that's because we didn't have any Hereford heifers. But with his numbers, if you aren't comfortable breeding heifers to him, I don't think that you'll find a Hereford that you would be comfortable with.

Larzbarz, Those are some nice looking Cuda heifers. What kind of birth weights are you seeing out of Cuda? Would you use him on heifers?

We had 4 heifers by Cuda as well, actual BW were 67 (out of a 1st calf heifer) 71, 77, and 85. Those last 3 are all cows that have some of the higher BW EPDs in our herd and typically while they don't have huge calves they have on occasion popped out some in the 90's and I know the cow that had the 85lb heifer has had at least 1 calf of 100 lbs or over before for us so I have no hesitation using him on heifers based off what I know and how many others out there have been using him on heifers too. If you check out his performance pedigree info there have been at least 564 birth weights reported with a ratio of 98.1% meaning those calves have had lower birth weights than the average (100%) of their contemporary groups.

I know some guys out there find EPDs worthless but I do think the CE and BW EPDs on bulls with higher accuracies and a fair amount of of progeny reported are probably better indicators than some of the other EPDs are of what you can expect. Haven't used a bull with good CE and BW EPDs that have thrown heavy calves but have taken chances on bulls with higher BW EPDs and been burned with some calving problems so I do think if you do your research and know what you are looking for and understand the data some of the EPD data can be of use as part of your selection process. One great thing about message boards like this are people can get real life opinions from people that have used certain bloodlines vs trusting that some AI rep trying to sell you semen actually knows what they are talking about.

Some updated pictures of a couple of the Cuda heifers.

View attachment 321
View attachment 322

View attachment 323

#1 on left, #2 on right
View attachment 324

#1 on right, #2 on left
View attachment 325
If I recall you posted earlier these were the 1st set of cows you have bought right? If so what is the pedigrees of those Hereford cows as you should be commended for some nice selections. I will try to post some pictures of our Cuda heifers sometime this week after I got through the photos I took.

These are commercial Herefords that belong to the farm I work for. They were acquired as feeder calves. Creamed the best handful to try AI'ing, turned bulls in with the rest. Anything that didn't breed went on feed. These 2 are definitely the best of the bunch. They've stuck AI three years running now, second year in a row to Cuda. Their heifer calves from last year were good enough to get a shot at AI, too. I believe that they both stuck AI, as well, to a Red Angus bull, Topgun. A red baldie and a black brockle face. I might have to try to get a picture of them, too.

The cows that you are referencing were first calf heifer pairs that I bought from my uncle this spring. My luck on them wasn't so good. One calf got a bad case of pinkeye and went blind. The other cow came up open. Haven't decided what to do with her yet. Probably give her a shot at being a fall cow. If she strikes out on that one she'll have to head to the sale barn. About the only good news is that the other cow bred first cycle, so I should have a Cuda calf of my own next spring.

Here's our 4 Cuda heifers and 2 bulls out of Small Town Kid. All were born between 2/16-2/24

This one is out of probably the top cow in our herd who is a Revolution 4R daughter. Wish I could have got a better pose or angle of her because in person she looks even better than the photo.

90H.jpg

This heifer is out of our oldest cow who is a DOD dam out of Logic94H.jpg

Heifer out of a 2nd calf 936 daughter who is also a daughter of the dam of the the 1st heifer. You can see that heifer behind her, these 2 are pretty similar so will be interesting to see how they develop over the winter.
91H.jpg

Heifer is out of of a 1st calf York daughter.
88H.jpg

Couple bulls sired by Small Town Kid. Have pending DNA tests submitted right now so are crossing our fingers they come back free of MD. First bull is out of a Revolution granddaughter and 2nd bull is out of a 936 daughter.

89H.jpg

93H.jpg

While on the subject of Hereford AI sires... anyone have any calves sired by Gerber Anodyne 001A and thoughts to share on him? I've kept an eye on this bull over the years but haven't seen anything sired by him in person yet but I keep checking back in on this bull. He used to be a $100 a straw sire an price is now down to $40 a straw. His progeny seem to sell well and the programs that own interest in him have been around awhile and breed a lot of cattle.

A young bull that intrigues me too is BG LCC 11B Perfecto 84F. He has some horned genes on both sides of his 3 generation pedigree but is a homozygous polled bull. Any other Hereford AI bulls anyone has used recently they want to add to this thread? Always trying to gain real life opinions and results and pass on ours too.

Latest posts