hereford ai sires

Help Support CattleToday:

rain dance

Reaction score
Im considering using ai for the first time this upcoming breeding season, I really like the pine bank bloodlines and am leaning towards using diamond angus, would like to try some Hereford genetics though on a few of my solid black cows. Trouble is finding any good ones or in my opinion good atleast. There a lot of Hereford breeders that I like but they only sell bulls. Sustainable genetics and Pharo cattle company both sell Hereford semen but they are to extreme and have frame scores around 2 or less. I really like the look of these guys bulls and breeding philoshpy. http://www.pandrherefords.com/

What have you guys all used to make baldy cows that I might consider trying?

I have been really happy with ABS bull Thor. I put him on Angus cows with too much milk and it makes a good cross for replacement heifers and nice thick steers.

He's polled (don't know which you're looking for ) and not low birth weight, but I have had zero calving issues, even when I accidentally bred him to a heifer. I bought some semen maybe 5 years ago and have been happy enough with the daughters that I will buy some more next year. One of my neighbors wanted to purchase a Thor bull calf from me after driving by and coveting him all summer. He was two days too late though I had all ready cut him before he made an offer. :(

Does horned or polled matter to you? Not that knowledgeable when it comes to horned bulls as we only use polled but UPS Domino 3027 seems to be a horned bull that I hear a lot of good things about. For polled bulls Hyalite On Target 936 is a bull that is really making his mark I think. Rausch Herefords has a pretty nice bull battery, mostly polled bulls now but they still have some horned bulls too that many of them have semen available. We bred some FTF Prime Product 226Z for the first time this summer, excited to see how the mating with our females turn out as been hearing and seeing a lot of good things so far from those who have been using him.

As was said above, I don't know if you want horned or polled, but KCF Bennett Encore Z311 is a good sire and we AI'd to him this year. Also FTF Prospector 145Y is a great option and semen is not real expensive. Just had a great embryo heifer sired by him this year.

Went to their bull sale, they have nice cattle. Graft-Britton had some nice bulls too in the sale, don't know if they sell semen or not. Both breeders bulls seemed to be thicker then a lot of line ones you see today. The bulls were in good condition, not carrying extra fat to hide any thing.

I liked the picture of Graft-Britton's HH Advance 1291Y, bottom of page 3 if you download their sale catalog, and would like to see him in person and some of his daughters to see if they carry the depth of flank he shows I asked about the missing switch on his tail and didn't get a direct answer.

There was talk of the P&R Advancer L 210Z ET bull being a potential female sire, second bull down on page 4 and inside the back cover of the sale catalog.

I used a sampling of both r294 and ribeye a couple years ago on black cows. Wish i could speak for the daughters but I got all bull calves. Go figure. I was very impressed with the ribeye calves not so much with r294 calves. I would like to hear from someone who has ribeye daughters in production, as I'm thinking about trying him again.

MRRherefords":zn95k68h said:
As was said above, I don't know if you want horned or polled, but KCF Bennett Encore Z311 is a good sire and we AI'd to him this year. Also FTF Prospector 145Y is a great option and semen is not real expensive. Just had a great embryo heifer sired by him this year.

Haven't seen anything out of 145Y yet, I like the looks of him in the photos I've seen but the 1 thing that will probably keep us from ever considering using him is we AI'd a few cows to his sire K085 a long time back and were extremely disappointed with the few calves we had of his. Very light muscled calves and culled every one of them so I think his -0.12 REA EPD that has .66 accuracy held pretty true for us. I was going mention Revolution 4R but unless you already have semen in the tank on him he's starting to get expensive and tough to come by now that he'd dead. Seen people asking $100 a straw and up for him lately. Hometown is a bull I've been seeing more and more calves by lately too that I like the looks of and some nice sons out there as well.

Funny you mentioned Encore because I was just looking at the KCF sale catalog tonight. He's sired by the same bull as 936 but with Revolution on the dam side, if we already didn't already have enough 936 and Revolution in our herd he'd be a bull we'd consider using. I'll just go back to some things I've said here and other threads, of all the bulls we've used AI over the years the 2 bulls that have had the best results for us probably have been Revolution 4R and On Target 936. Both excel in multiple areas, 936 has probably added more muscle to our calves than any sire we've used and Revolution probably has sired some of the best females we've ever had. I made a comment to dad this fall after we had just weaned our 2nd calf crop sired by our 936 son how of any bull we've used he and 936 have consistently added the most muscle. Both bull's daughters have had great udder structure too, nice tight udders with good teats. No calving ease problems with either as well, have used them on heifers without any hesitation.

Our R294 steers have always done well. Every year a couple of them go to the county fairs and grade out well. Out of 50 or so usually in the top 5-6 never below top 10. The way it works here is the steers are weighed in in Feb then their rate of gain is calculated at fair time, early July. At the fair they are ultrasounded for marbling back fat and rib eye. All that goes into an formula that calculates the carcass value. That makes up 75% of their final score. The live show placing makes up the other 25%. The heifers/cows have been good prodctive girls, nice udders and weaning good calves. These calves, steers and heifers are out of Red Angus, Red Angus Gelbvieh and Red Angus Simmenthal/Flek crosses.

SPH":7qzscq7w said:
MRRherefords":7qzscq7w said:

Haven't seen anything out of 145Y yet, I like the looks of him in the photos I've seen but the 1 thing that will probably keep us from ever considering using him is we AI'd a few cows to his sire K085 a long time back and were extremely disappointed with the few calves we had of his. Very light muscled calves and culled every one of them so I think his -0.12 REA EPD that has .66 accuracy held pretty true for us. I was going mention Revolution 4R but unless you already have semen in the tank on him he's starting to get expensive and tough to come by now that he'd dead. Seen people asking $100 a straw and up for him lately. Hometown is a bull I've been seeing more and more calves by lately too that I like the looks of and some nice sons out there as well.

Funny you mentioned Encore because I was just looking at the KCF sale catalog tonight. He's sired by the same bull as 936 but with Revolution on the dam side, if we already didn't already have enough 936 and Revolution in our herd he'd be a bull we'd consider using. I'll just go back to some things I've said here and other threads, of all the bulls we've used AI over the years the 2 bulls that have had the best results for us probably have been Revolution 4R and On Target 936. Both excel in multiple areas, 936 has probably added more muscle to our calves than any sire we've used and Revolution probably has sired some of the best females we've ever had. I made a comment to dad this fall after we had just weaned our 2nd calf crop sired by our 936 son how of any bull we've used he and 936 have consistently added the most muscle. Both bull's daughters have had great udder structure too, nice tight udders with good teats. No calving ease problems with either as well, have used them on heifers without any hesitation.
!0y is another great option. I have really loved the females I have seen out of him. They are good framed, tight udders, heavy milking, (often dark red), easy keeping, good mommas. Love 936 as well, have seen sons a lot of sons out of him and honestly for the most part I would end up going to 936 directly.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looked at alot of good bulls. I have a r294 son for a bull right know. He has great growth and health in the calves in my experience. Plan to keep some of his baldy daughters back next year. Have to many cows now that are not solid black to keep him sadly.

No polled or horned does not matter to me as long as Im using AI.

Latest posts