Hereford AI Book

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowhereford II

Reaction score
Arrived yesterday along with the Hereford World. Looking through it just to admire, I picked some favorites based primarily on phenotype, although I have some favorite bloodlines and qualities among the bulls I picked as well.

GH Adams Shadow 144S...I think I like him better than his maternal brother Rambo.
Feltons Ozzie 492...No secret that I like Feltons.
MC Ranger 9615....More because of his carcass than looks, but the best pic I've seen of him.
EFBeef Shu-Lar Proficient N093
9126J
JDB 517 Stewart H33...Consistently has produced among the highest gaining Hereford bulls at OBI for several years, including several with ADG of over 5#. Also has the Feltons/Optimum Z03 blend that two of my own bulls have had, including the current model.
Rambo....but too big.
NJW FHF 9710 Tank 45P
8020....Acceptable phenotype with proven carcass and adequate growth; legendary for his daughters. 2,084 progeny, 420 carcass progeny, 778 daughters produced 2,294 calves with a WR of 101.5. 10-trait leader
Legend...CE+8.8 BW -0.2 WW 38 YW 67 Milk 21......IMF +0.39
Farley....Don't like his head, but he has rear quarter, and was still breeding at 11, has good carcass.

I really like the muscle expression of Bennett 3008. I know a lot of ppl here have females out of him. What are the frame sizes, hair, and muscle like on them?
UPS Odyssey is interesting to me. We were recommended to use him too. Any one with experience? Don't like that he has horned, but would just breed to the polled cows.
I like Shadow too, but Rambo's frame size at 7.5 scares me that shadow will be too big too (for us, that is :) )
NJW FHF 9710 Tank 45P has almost identical EPD's to our Tank son (42602729) People should give 19H a try, we are extremely happy with our cattle out of him.
We have some 3/4 sibs to Purple Chaps and are happy with them. They are Sept babies.
A lot of nice horned bulls, but they tend to be too framey for me.

I agree with all of the recommendations. From the younger bulls, I would add HCC Legacy and H Easy Deal just because I liked their phenotype so much in Ft. Worth. Also, I like the muscle and udder quality of the Online breeding in a more moderate package.

It makes me wonder about the canadian bull not having maternal performance records. I really see no use for a 7.5 frame Animal. What do you guys think about Star L3 Gerber Vision 053. No ones mentioned Advance 767 that has to be one of the biggest influences in the horned genetics. I like Domino 5216 bull. He seams like a really well put together bull from genetics to performance to phenotype.

I overlooked the Star L3 Gerber Vision 053 bull, not because he doesn't look good, but because he was so young it is too early to tell what he's going to look like when he's done. Then I saw the combo of 774, 8020, and King Ten in the pedigree, and I really started taking notice. I think Largents have a winner here. IMF is just packed into the pedigree. A full sister had an IMF of 7.6% actual.

Largents have a good history of carcass cattle anyway.

I thought the same thing about Gerber Vision. I really had not noticed his breeding until last night. He looks pretty good as well.

Ziggy Pop":1fizq693 said:
He looks pretty good as well.

Interesting. I think he will be different from most bulls Star Lake promotes. He won't have the muscle wrapped up in the lower 1/3 like some of their others and he'll be much heavier in the front. Personally, I think he looks like one of the most practical bulls that have come from Star Lake, even if they bought his dam pregnant. I wonder how much use he'll get. I saw Sprearhead Magnum had gotten some pretty good use.

Latest posts