Here we go.

Help Support CattleToday:

That appears to be a great price on those 985lb steers, and good all the way through.
Keep those prices in mind when you're forward contracting your calves. ;)
Also, what does that say about the future retail prices of beef in the supermarkets...inflation is going to be strong for a while.

Last edited:
Sure hope we see some of that uptick here on the east coast. We will always see less due to the trucking costs... and those are just going up... although fuel prices here actually went down about $.10 a gallon..... But it would be nice to see them hit the 1.80 or above prices.....
Good for all the farmers to see some better prices. And for the record, I think that the "northern cattle" are overall pretty darn NICE.

That takes one heck of a sharp pencil. It won't take much of a hiccup in the market to make some one loose their butt.

Talked to our fat cattle buyer last Tuesday. He said Covid was so bad at the plant again that he didn't even have a bid for the week. They don't have enough employees showing up to get the cattle processed. If that keeps up it won't take long to create a bottle neck, and a depressed market.

Talked to our fat cattle buyer last Tuesday. He said Covid was so bad at the plant again that he didn't even have a bid for the week. They don't have enough employees showing up to get the cattle processed. If that keeps up it won't take long to create a bottle neck, and a depressed market.
We have had that bottle neck on kill cows for several months. So many cows bought and left at the sale yard that they put out a notice that said cattle left more than 2 weeks would be charged $7 a day for feed. That didn't move the cows fast enough. So now they put out a notice that no cattle would be allowed to stay longer than 2 weeks. Yet even with that kill cow prices are still good and even going up the last couple of weeks.

We have had that bottle neck on kill cows for several months. So many cows bought and left at the sale yard that they put out a notice that said cattle left more than 2 weeks would be charged $7 a day for feed. That didn't move the cows fast enough. So now they put out a notice that no cattle would be allowed to stay longer than 2 weeks. Yet even with that kill cow prices are still good and even going up the last couple of weeks.
So what did they do with them after 2 weeks if the buyer didn't take them? Turn them out somewhere?

So what did they do with them after 2 weeks if the buyer didn't take them? Turn them out somewhere?
I don't know? There was nothing posted saying what would happen. Not my monkey, not my circus. So I didn't ask. I did hear a rumor that trucking was part of the issue.