Here we go again....

Help Support CattleToday:

BigBear

Reaction score
Ok guys and gals it appears I'm getting back into the cow/calf game again. My wife has found 2 stellar Red Angus cows that should be bred to drop calves in late July/August. The cows and the bull are registered and so they would come with all paperwork to get the calves registered as well. 3500 smackeroos

As I mentioned, these are absolutely beautiful cows. Ones you would start a herd with (in my case).

This lady who is selling them appears to have a very nice herd. Most everything is registered and nice looking cows. She DOES NOT want to pay to have them palpated to confirm pregnancy but they sure look bred. Big ol' bellies and swollen vulvas. A little concerning but to my untrained eyes (lol) they look to be "as advertised".

I wish I could figure out how to post pics on here. I mean I grew up in the tech age (I'm 37) and have good computer skills and I cant figure it out!

What do you guys think? Am I nuts? :nod:

You could pay to have them checked to ease your mind. Or do a blood test before you agree to get them.

The seller assumes the role of confirming pregnancy in most transactions. If it is obvious, no need to go to extra effort, however, I would confirm she guarantees the 2 cows as with calf.

Should have have mentioned they both calved last year to the same bull they are bred to now and weaned off their calves about 2 months ago. Both born in March of '14.

Buy them on the condition if one or both do not calve by October 1st... then that animal can be sold at local sale barn
and price difference refunded. (Either of you can buy them out of the ring... but you still receive the difference)

From what I can see, the one on the left is the nicer of the two.. the right side one is a little light.. at least that's the way I look at it.
Welcome back to the cow world anyhow!

Nesikep":3j2ug700 said:
From what I can see, the one on the left is the nicer of the two.. the right side one is a little light.. at least that's the way I look at it.
Welcome back to the cow world anyhow!

Thanks Nesi! I like the frame of the lighter one though. Very square. Maybe that's my dairy background coming out.

Do they look close to calving to you guys?

I agree the one looks too "dairy". A purebred breeder is supposed to guarantee pregnancies. If they don't calve within a reasonable time frame, she should refund your money. Easiest way to handle, as mentioned, is ship her & seller pays the difference.

TennesseeTuxedo":32tytts0 said:
BigBear, I think they are both terrific and whether they calve in October or November they are super cows.

I'm a sucker for a sharp Red Angus.
Yup, me too

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3s6fpu3l said:
I agree the one looks too "dairy". A purebred breeder is supposed to guarantee pregnancies. If they don't calve within a reasonable time frame, she should refund your money. Easiest way to handle, as mentioned, is ship her & seller pays the difference.

I have sold a few short-bred registered Angus heifers on the basis that they have been called pregnant by vet on X date following AI on Y date to sire Z, but are not being sold as guaranteed pregnant. I figure so long as the price reflects it and the buyer is happy, that's fair; when they are short-bred, the conditions to ensure the cow maintains the pregnancy are out of my hands once they leave my farm. My Plan B (which I haven't used yet) is to guarantee them as bred so long as the buyer has them checked within, say, 2 weeks of arrival at their new home and notifies me immediately if they're open.

Son of Butch":3jy2httk said:
Buy them on the condition if one or both do not calve by October 1st... then that animal can be sold at local sale barn
and price difference refunded. (Either of you can buy them out of the ring... but you still receive the difference)

What do you think about writing up a contract that if I have them palpated and they are not bred that she has to give me XXX amount of dollars back? I know that in OH if both parties sign its a legally binding contract even if its on a napkin from a bar (my buddies a lawyer). Worst case is a) I take her to small claims court or b) I just lose out on the calves that will help cover the cost of the cows.

At least I would have something to go back on I guess.....

RanchMan90":1puwvp3i said:
They look good. A $5 preg check sure looks cheap in this situation.

I just spoke with the lady. They ran with the bull for 4 months which eases my mind. Also she was ok with giving back $500 if they're not bred which I am ok with. And she delivers. Said they weaned off their first calves easy with fence line weaning which is what I plan to do.

I will write up a contract and have both parties sign.

I am good with the deal and excited to get these girls home to our farm. :banana:

Thanks to all of you for your comments and help. This forum has been a life saver for me!

BigBear":qwhk8k7q said:
RanchMan90":qwhk8k7q said:
They look good. A $5 preg check sure looks cheap in this situation.

I just spoke with the lady. They ran with the bull for 4 months which eases my mind. Also she was ok with giving back $500 if they're not bred which I am ok with. And she delivers. Said they weaned off their first calves easy with fence line weaning which is what I plan to do.

I will write up a contract and have both parties sign.

I am good with the deal and excited to get these girls home to our farm. :banana:

Thanks to all of you for your comments and help. This forum has been a life saver for me!

You made a very good deal and bought two outstanding cows. Please return with updates on the calves.

callmefence":3nnrocua said:
Put em in the trailer and take em to the vet and have em checked. How much is it there?
If I take em on Wednesday it's 5.00 dollars.

I wish my vet had a discount for "preg check Wednesday's!

I've got a couple cousins that breed dairy cows and I'm going to have them come out and check. And they're family so it's free! Lol

I also put in the contract I have 60 days to either have calves on the ground or palpated. Which ever comes last.

Latest posts