Here piggy, piggy!

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Somehow I have inherited a piglet. Showed up in the pasture last week. Little boar piglet. I can't tell if it is a baby pot bellied pig or a piglet from wild hogs. It is small, about the size of a beagle, black, long with a straight tail and smaller ears held back tight to the head. Little bugger took up with a cow and calf and stays under her feet for protection from my mare who hates him. He clibs up in the hay ring while the cow / calf feed. When they leave the calf bawls for him until he comes over to her.

We have been getting some wild hogs about 10 miles to our east so this may have come from a migrating sow maybe? I'll try and post pics. I have tried to catch it but it is too smart and faster than a rattler. It will not let me closer than 8 or 10 feet.

I had a Barbado lamb happen up on the property and take up with the calves and donkeys. It would not let me near it until it started getting used to me and stopped running away. About the time it was starting to get along with us, I guess dogs killed it. It was gutted and out in the pasture. I figure a coyote would have taken it for meat. Dogs just kill for fun.

Post us a picture. Piglets are so cute. And so destructive.

Since it hides up under the cow I wouldn't use buckshot. Just remember, 1 is cute 2 there ain't such a thing as just 2.

Hoss, do I see roasted piglet on your future dinner table? Something with an apple it his mouth? :shock:

hillrancher":yomu7tia said:
It most likely is stealing the milk from the cow and starving the calf. They will do this.

This little piggy would need a ladder to nurse this cow :lol: Her udder is too high for him to reach even when standing on his back legs. He's a little sucker. The pigglet usually hangs with the calf. They are buds now I guess. I've tried to catch the little rascal and give him to a friend that wants him but short of using a net I have had no success. The little booger is smarter than a dog and fast as a rabbit.

Lammie":1hy1x6w7 said:
Hoss, do I see roasted piglet on your future dinner table? Something with an apple it his mouth? :shock:

If he were 20 pounds bigger I would be breaking out the .22 and putting him on the spit. The little feller won't weigh 8 to10 pounds at best. His little legs are a blur when he runs......funny looking :lol2:

I don;t know about at that size but around 20 pounds if they're running full tile they'll tear the bottom right out of a typical landing net or even more fun, break the handle. Got the shirt!