Here is the Registered cows.

Help Support CattleToday:

About 25 miles north of Pensacola, FL
Two more just for you guys two heifers out of the fall weaned calves (720# and 680# Oct heifers) and one Feb steer that I know caustic will like.
100_0115_0002MA12450941-0004.jpg

2992e49c.jpg

MikeC":3u5br59h said:
DOC HARRIS":3u5br59h said:
MikeC":3u5br59h said:
DOC HARRIS":3u5br59h said:
Okay - - My eye may be a little off - but I say this very MAGNIFICENT Icon of a Momma Beef Cow - one you should call home about - will weigh in (without a belly full of water :shock: ;-) ) at 1540 lbs. Weigh ticket proof - not that I don't trust you understand - I just want to be able to say, "YES". Of course, if I miss her by 200 lbs, I'll be :oops: :oops:

This cow is the kind which makes the owner feel very self-satisfied and gives him the confidence to buy others just like her. Could you give us her EPD's - just for grins?? :D DOC

Het Doc! I hate to be the one to tell you, but your eyes are a LOT off! That's a bull! Not a Momma Cow! ;-)
MikeC :p Cut me some slack, Mike! :roll: :roll: If you had READ the entire post, you would have realized that I was talking about a COW and not a 700# Bull. :lol: :lol: I really DO know the difference, Mike. My post was entered on the Board after several others had been entered \. I should have made a "quote" instead of just a "Post reply". The COW Mike - the COW is estimated at 1540#. You are funny, though! :lol: :lol:
I'm just pulling your leg, Doc. It just so happened your post was directly under the bull picture. Just funnin! ;-)
Mike - Hey, I knew that you weren't really serious. It's just that I had been dealing with :roll: someone :roll: on another post and was on a roll! :D :D I'm cool! 8)

jscunn, I went back to the sale book to compare your young bull to the bulls that sold last fall in his age bracket. There are a couple in there that went $8,000 and up. Your bull looks better than these. They were almost a year old too. Your's is only 6 months. He looks like he will be long and muscled. I really do like him. I would like to see him when he matures too.
The big bull (sire) is beautiful. I think he is really super nice. I guess you might breed back to him.
The other two heifers that you posted, the one closest to the camera has a gorilla nose. My best calf has a gorilla nose too. When they look straight at you, the nostrils are very round. Both of those heifers are nice too. Looks like I need to drive down to Florida to pick up my angus this year.

jscunn":195vdf9v said:
About 25 miles north of Pensacola, FL
Two more just for you guys two heifers out of the fall weaned calves (720# and 680# Oct heifers) and one Feb steer that I know caustic will like.
100_0115_0002MA12450941-0004.jpg

2992e49c.jpg
==========
jscunn,
Where did the bull calf get the large sheath from? It doesn't appear his sire has It. The sire looks like a nice one.

His mother has a little brammer (very little) in her she has a little navel. I assume you are talking about the young bull in the picture you cut and pasted. The large bull is NOT the sire of young bull calf. He is the sire of just the weaned bull calf that was pictured. All the other calves pictured were sired by SAF 8275 Choice Plus 0418 (no picture of him posted).

"Bigger is not always better but to me me smaller is never better."

I agree with most of that; but I am old enough to remember the last days of the 600-720 pound frame score 2 commercial cow. I am not eager to go back there; but they were really easy keeping cattle and they were always fat. I knew one ranch up the road that ran 220 Angus cows on 220 acres of ground AND produced all of it's own hay and NOT all of it was open. My grandfather ran 100 little Herefords (bred up from Jersey dairy cattle) on Kentucky 31 fescue, Johnsongrass, kudzu, and caley peas and he weaned a 90% calf crop and all his heifers calved at 24 months with very little supplemental feed and he almost always made money at the end of the year and when he culled it was for losing a calf almost NEVER for skipping a calf. Granted weaning weights WERE laughable; but a 630 pound mama cow weaning a 375 pound calf is a whole lot more efficient than a 1600 pound cow weaning a 600 pound calf and you could butcher that little calf at weaning age and have much more tender eating than today's big framed calf. AND those little calves did win plenty of shows back in their day. I realize that we now no longer grass fatten (which is what the 1950s-60s cattle were bred for) and there is no more premiun for veal or the super tender "baby beef" so I don't expect those "belt buckle" cattle to return; but the smaller framed cattle did have some advantages.

Brandonm2":35449y3u said:
"Bigger is not always better but to me me smaller is never better."

I agree with most of that; but I am old enough to remember the last days of the 600-720 pound frame score 2 commercial cow. I am not eager to go back there; but they were really easy keeping cattle and they were always fat. I knew one ranch up the road that ran 220 Angus cows on 220 acres of ground AND produced all of it's own hay and NOT all of it was open. My grandfather ran 100 little Herefords (bred up from Jersey dairy cattle) on Kentucky 31 fescue, Johnsongrass, kudzu, and caley peas and he weaned a 90% calf crop and all his heifers calved at 24 months with very little supplemental feed and he almost always made money at the end of the year and when he culled it was for losing a calf almost NEVER for skipping a calf. Granted weaning weights WERE laughable; but a 630 pound mama cow weaning a 375 pound calf is a whole lot more efficient than a 1600 pound cow weaning a 600 pound calf and you could butcher that little calf at weaning age and have much more tender eating than today's big framed calf. AND those little calves did win plenty of shows back in their day. I realize that we now no longer grass fatten (which is what the 1950s-60s cattle were bred for) and there is no more premiun for veal or the super tender "baby beef" so I don't expect those "belt buckle" cattle to return; but the smaller framed cattle did have some advantages.
To my way of thinking, this is justification for the trend toward 1200#-1300# mature Mama cows in our breeding herds - whatever breed we have under consideration. $Profit is the bottom line of the BUSINESS.

I am not making the argument for shrinking mature cattle size back to 700 pounds. The beef market HAS changed and what worked 40-50 years is not going to work today. I was just pointing out that when beef cattle shrunk there was a reason for it; though like the whithers height fad of the 80s, show cattle got so extreme as to be virtually useless. Our cattle particularly frame score 8 mooses which finish out at 1650+++ pounds would have been train wrecks in the days when cattle were finished on range and wintered on crop stubble. I am not making an argument for short cattle. I have not run anything that small since those last aged mamas were sold in the mid 80s and I certainly would not want to send a load of those frame score 2s to a modern feedlot for 160 days (Prime/Choice Yield Grade 5s). I was just pointing out that there WERE positives like early maturity, early finishing, high conception rates, tenderness, temperment, and easy keeping to those kind of cattle. I couldn't winter 50 cows on the hay and feed stocks that my grandfather wintered his hundred on 30 years ago (of course the superior quality of the old square bale hay plays a factor too) and NOBODY's cows today are as fleshy in early March as those cows were.

Latest posts