Here is some good news

Help Support CattleToday:

Hopefully cull Jerseys stay cheap. They're small enough we can hang them in our own little cooler and save on butcher costs as well. This is the first one we did ourselves this winter. Boned out like a deer since we don't have the proper tooling for bone-in. Paid $360 at 18 months old, put probably $600 in him in feed and butchered him at 1100# standing. Didn't weigh the finished meat but I think we were roughly in the $2.50-3.00 a lb across the board. Kids like it, they always ask if the burgers are from Big Calf. (We weren't very creative on the name.)

Attachments

• Jersey steer.jpeg
    Jersey steer.jpeg
    628.5 KB · Views: 2
Kids like it, they always ask if the burgers are from Big Calf.
(We weren't very creative on the name.)
When Dad was changing over from Jerseys to Holsteins, kids 6 & 7 got to name the first 5 holsteins bought - Biggie, Blackie, Whitey, Fat Tits and Gutsa (she prolapsed)
"Dad, the cow is pushing her guts out!" :)

Last edited:
Gotta love the things out of kids mouths, our middle just turned 3 and she's a sponge. We won't think she's even paying attention to us and end up blurting something out 4 days later somebody mentioned once in passing. I've gotta ask, what did your mother think of your father letting one of the kids name a cow Fat Tits. Haha.

I've gotta ask, what did your mother think of your father letting one of the kids name a cow Fat Tits. Haha.
If you saw the cow, you couldn't argue with the kid's logic.
But Mom was a school teacher and we had to learn to spell it 'teats' and pronounce it that way (except when she wasn't around) :)

Last edited:

Latest posts