Here is a question for you

Help Support CattleToday:

splinter ridge farm":2u0uukxn said:
I am asking for some thoughts before I actually have one built. I am considering, building a treadmill that would be universal for both show calves and show pigs. In addition, I would like to make it with scales underneath then it would be multi-purpose. I have been told that some "BIG" time show strings use treadmills. I have not seen one for that purpose, but I have for horses. I have some thoughts for making one, but would they be beneficial? I would think variable speed with incline feature would really be nice. Let me know your thoughts.

Why :?: :?:

I edited my original question because I sensed some laughter. :lol2: Do you not believe you should exercise your animals? :banana: I am new to all this just curious!

splinter ridge farm":5p6vw5wn said:
I edited my original question because I sensed some laughter. :lol2: Do you not believe you should exercise your animals? :banana: I am new to all this just curious!

When I showed I walked my steer 2 miles a day just not on a treadmill.

splinter ridge farm":1qlhfxpl said:

Ours get plenty of exercise walking around the pasture.

There's really no reason to walk them unless you don't turn them out at night. Tie them with their head up for 4-6 hours a day and you should be good.

in all honesty... i walked my calves for about 15 min a day and thats just so they knew how to set up. i leave my cattle out all night up for the day. but they were tied every day for at least 30 minutes.

wat is the reasoning for tying them up for an hour or so?? with breeding bulls ere in scotland we avoid leaving them tied incase of injury, sore legs/necks standing etc,etc, but do aim to walk 5 days a week in last 8 weeks prior to bull sales...

mind you if you have a good young bull that might make £10/15/20,000 you do look after them well, just so at auction it all goes wrong and he makes 4k!!

The show cattle are tied with the heads up to help train them to not be so heavy headed and condition them for all the standing they will do getting ready for the ring and the standing they do in the ring. We work them up to about three hours standing a day. The rest of the time they are tied so they can lie down. As soon as the sun is down they are kicked out in an acre pasture so they can move around and flex their muscles and joints.

I have seen modified people treadmills for sheep and goats. When our children were showing goats, they would walk them 3/4's of a mile down the road, turn them loose and chase them home. One kid would ride his bike to chase them.

Years ago we lived next to place that had a walker set up for walking their show bulls. It was a heavy duty walker.

iused to walk the snot out of them when I was in school. But later realized that my ag teacher told us to walk them, just to be messing with us. His place is right down the road from me. I aked him about that when my kids began to show. He laughed and asked how long did it take for you to catch on....
Ours are in a 5 acre trap. They run all their energy off at night when they get out of the barn.. :cowboy:

We walk our bred heifers, usually about a mile a day before getting turned out for the night. We usually only walked the heifers because they seemed like they only went straight to the hay feeder at night and were prone too getting globby fat without exercise.

Latest posts