Here is a CALF

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Here is quite a calf. Being that we run British cattle, we rarely see one as muscled up as this heifer. Out of a community pasture Black Angus, and a Red Angus/Hereford cow (and I am sure on the cow's breeds). Born March 25.

9calfside.jpg

9calfrearb.jpg

I wonder what else is lurking in there??

randiliana":vnwndxlv said:
Here is quite a calf. Being that we run British cattle, we rarely see one as muscled up as this heifer. Out of a community pasture Black Angus, and a Red Angus/Hereford cow (and I am sure on the cow's breeds). Born March 25.

9calfside.jpg

9calfrearb.jpg

I wonder what else is lurking in there??
This is the kind of a calf who, with a person who understands Phenotype, can grow into a fine, well producing brood cow. This would be one I would keep, and raise for either production or recipient use!

DOC HARRIS

ALACOWMAN":jd0k4876 said:
ive got some cows that would put muscle on pee wee herman's babies. and you can bet i retain all heifers from em... nice calf ;-)

She very likely will end up in either our herd (if we can finally manage to keep some heifers ;-) ) or in someone else's herd if we can't. I am very impressed with that cow. Here is a half sister to that calf, same cow x Hereford Bull. Not as muscular, but much more than the average cow we have in the herd.

As a 2 year old with her calf.
27pair.jpg

As a yearling last summer
9heiferb.jpg

randiliana, first - nice calf!
But I don't understand. If you know you don't get this kind of muscling (which I do not think this is excessive muscling) - why don't you change breed of bulls? so you can get well muscled calves?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3mvi5pr1 said:
randiliana, first - nice calf!
But I don't understand. If you know you don't get this kind of muscling (which I do not think this is excessive muscling) - why don't you change breed of bulls? so you can get well muscled calves?

Because we, for the most part, like the breeds we are using. And, that IS excessive muscling for an Angus calf. The only problem I can see with that calf is she MAY not fit into a presort group at the sale. If we were to sell her and she didn't fit, we would definitely get docked on her. Sad, but true. The only way to get that consistantly, is to go continental, and I have to say that we have used Gelbveih before. Impressive calves with more muscle definitely. Unfortunately, they really didn't bring us anything more than what we were using before. And, we have a bit of a market selling our red replacement heifers, and these people want us to stay with British and we ARE getting well paid for them.

Latest posts