"Herder" bull

Help Support CattleToday:

JCcattle

Reaction score
We bought a new bull this spring.. a yearling black angus x simm from a place that our other two are from. Really like them, but this guy has a characteristic we've never had! When we go out there sometimes he gets real busy keeping the heifers an cows he's with away from us or the fence.. just snorting and puffing and not being very gentle about it! Sometimes he's fine and doesn't bat an eye, just keeps grazing or chewing his cud, but when he gets into herding it can be rather annoying! He's not aggressive toward us, just to the cows. Too much testosterone?! Will he alway be that way or is he a hot head cuz he's young? Is it a trait that can show up in offspring? We don't keep any bulls but we do keep our heifers..

I've seen that a bunch. Never paid much mind to it. Can't say I've seen it, when 2 bulls are running with the same herd.

A friend of mine had a bull that will do that with whomever is in-heat. He'll separate her from the herd, and keep her way, away from the herd for a day or 2 or 3. :? He finally sold that bull and bought a new one, the new one doesn't do that.

That could get bad then if other cows are in heat during that time. I've heard too where the bull so busy herding he didn't keep up with breeding. Now this guy isn't so bad, if he was worse then we would know what to do! As it is it looks rather bleak to have a herder bull for the years to come but he's doing his job and don't just wanna ship something you pay good money for..

JCcattle":11vdafng said:
That could get bad then if other cows are in heat during that time. I've heard too where the bull so busy herding he didn't keep up with breeding.

The primary reason as to why he sold the bull. His calving season became not so tight. :(

Now this guy isn't so bad, if he was worse then we would know what to do! As it is it looks rather bleak to have a herder bull for the years to come but he's doing his job and don't just wanna ship something you pay good money for..

Makes sense. If he's doing his job, that's what counts. :)

Yeah that's true. Guess we are a little concerned about what he will be like and his offspring far as temperament goes but we will get a better feel of it in time. Thanks for now!

I too have a young bull who is obsessed with herding the girls. Makes rotating a pain sometimes. I hadn't thought about neglecting his duties. Is this a very common problem with bulls who like to herd?

I've seen it mostly in young bulls and it's a pain. They'll sometimes stop their cows from grazing for hours. In a large paddock, I've watched little bulls running for most of a day, trying to corale cows who've gone further away than he wants them. Worrying that they'd wear themselves out, I've usually pulled those bulls out for a rest - and not kept them. It's a trait I don't like. Running my cows around isn't something I let anyone do!

Putangitangi":2kvhgnkc said:
They'll sometimes stop their cows from grazing for hours.

This is why I sold my "herder". Too much runnin and not enough eatin isn't a good combo.

I believe that it could run a guy down. Far as I know this guy only does it sometimes when we come around, never see him doing it from a distance.. been good to hear what you all have to say. Will see how he looks at the end of the season.. will be pulling bulls the end of July.

JCcattle":392uie11 said:
I believe that it could run a guy down. Far as I know this guy only does it sometimes when we come around, never see him doing it from a distance.. been good to hear what you all have to say. Will see how he looks at the end of the season.. will be pulling bulls the end of July.

Not concerned for running the bull down, concerned for the cows not eating.

Brute 23":23m3uinm said:
That's not uncommon. Its usually considered a good trait. He will save you a lot of heartache when those cows try to go whoring around the neighbors fence... and yes... its not always the neighbors' bulls' fault.

Got that right a cow is a slut.
Secondly always takes two bulls to have a bull fight.

Update - this boy settled down over summer and grew out of his ego by the end. Excited to see his calves hit the ground starting in a few weeks. Here he is, don't like how he was posing :(

We had one like that last year, nice bull we sold him at the end of the breeding season. I imagine they grow out of it. It would really tic our son off, but we have one doing it again this year. They don't want their girls grazing to close to the fence where they can see another bull. I equate it to teenage boys protecting their territory.

Gizmom

I had one years ago that kept the cows all bunch in a corner and wouldn't let them get to water. That didn't work as well for him as he was thinking.

Eventually they cant control every rebellious girl under their care if you come around with grain or something! well we will see if he does it again the next breeding season! hopefully its not a trait that can pass down to heifers as it seems to be a man thing...

Latest posts