Herd Sire vs AI Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

The Tybar ranch which actually has developed an EPD for PAP, along with CSU and DR Holt, used these bulls last year.
ALC Big Eye,Basin Rainmaker,Blevins Raindance,GAR Yield Grade, LCC New Standard(alot), MCC Daybreak,Morgans Direction,In Focus,TC Total, and Stevensons Deluxe.
Along with several of their own bulls out of some of these same sires.
BTW not all Travelar is toxic for PAP but I avoid it since I am a Gelbvieh Breeder and don't know the Angus bloodlines real well.

6807 seems to be the main 'problem' pap bull in the traveler line, not all of them by any means but significant enough for most at altitude to avoid.

robert":20pptr20 said:
6807 seems to be the main 'problem' pap bull in the traveler line, not all of them by any means but significant enough for most at altitude to avoid.

Thanks.where did you get your info?

3waycross":30s8oynl said:
robert":30s8oynl said:

Thanks.where did you get your info?

mostly anecdotal initially, from folks in colorado and utah, dr bill switzer from iowa has done some research on altitude disease, seems to be fairly well accepted that 6807's don't score well on pap tests, like I said, there will be exceptions and i personally think the 6807 line has some pretty good positives to make them worth including if you can. One of our herdsires is out of a 6807 daughter, but then we're at 500ft not 5000!

Thanks Robert. You wouldn't by any chance have any anecdotal evidence about the Becton Julian RA bloodlines and PAP would you.

3waycross":s4px5cgv said:
Thanks Robert. You wouldn't by any chance have any anecdotal evidence about the Becton Julian RA bloodlines and PAP would you.

Why not just e-mail Dwight?

KNERSIE":mthdqm12 said:
3waycross":mthdqm12 said:

Why not just e-mail Dwight?

We have talked. I am pretty sure he doesn't know any more than I do. I will get a chance to PAP two of his calves next fall. But I have a sale hinging on even alittle bit of good news on that bloodline. I am trying to sell a heifer bred to Boaz and the guy is understandably nervous as he runs his cattle at 10,000 ft.

3waycross":1nyhjdu0 said:

sorry, can't help you on RA's, pretty well refocused my efforts on black angus. there seems to be quite a few RA folks on here though, dwight would be my first call but there is also the fella from axtell cattle co who is out in your part of the world, ashamed to say I can't recall his name of the top of my head......though that is fairly typical, better on cow names than peoples, perhaps that's reflective of my antisocial nature?

Latest posts