Herd performance.

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Well, just figured out my herd performance for the year. I am pretty happy with the numbers, although they are a little lower than last year. The numbers are

Steers BW 95, Avg days of age 184, Avg Wt 531, ADG 2.37 and 205 day avg 581

Heifers BW 85, Avg days of age 178, Avg Wt 484, ADG 2.24, and 205 day avg 544

Total BW 91, Avg days of age 183, Avg Wt 513, ADG 2.33 and 205 day avg 569.

Our cows are in the 1100-1250# weight range going off of our cull weights the last time we sold them.

Very good numbers.

Just a question...

Why wean at 6 months instead of seven, or is it because of forage flow, weather, management?

Do they go inside after weaning for the winter and its cheaper to feed a weaner than a lactating cow and her calf?

KNERSIE":2uiwey5s said:
Very good numbers.

Just a question...

Why wean at 6 months instead of seven, or is it because of forage flow, weather, management?

Do they go inside after weaning for the winter and its cheaper to feed a weaner than a lactating cow and her calf?

My guess would be because they don't have problems with Lions in Canada, and they don't need the protection of the mothers that long! :p :lol: :lol: :nod:

Merry Christmas! :D

We wean at six months, 205 days on average sometimes sooner if there is a large calf pulling the dam down.
At six monthe the cows are starting the second trimester and we don't want the cow feeding two calves on the same groceries heading into winter.
Just my two bits worth....DMc

KNERSIE":34wacjpd said:
Very good numbers.

Just a question...

The weights were actually taken at about a month before we weaned. So the calves were around 6 1/2- 7 months when they were weaned.

None of our animals see indoors, except at calving time if it is cold. So, no the calves won't be indoors. And it is much cheaper to feed the calf alone than to keep the cows in condition while lactating and dealing with the weather.

Rangenerd":3lpttv2e said:
Any calving problems with the bull calves? Are the larger birth weights due to EPD's or nutrition?

We have very few calving problems due to BW. Most of the calves we pull are malpresentation. The BW size would be mostly due to the EPD's on the bulls we use, our bulls will have actual BW of 85-100# for the cows and 75-90# on the heifers. The cattle are also fed fairly well. But I don't like to see the little 60-80# calves out of our cows, and even our heifers I don't want 60-70# calves out of. Those little guys just don't handle the cold and generally don't grow out as quickly.

randiliana":2cwli3df said:
Rangenerd":2cwli3df said:
Any calving problems with the bull calves? Are the larger birth weights due to EPD's or nutrition?

We have very few calving problems due to BW. Most of the calves we pull are malpresentation. The BW size would be mostly due to the EPD's on the bulls we use, our bulls will have actual BW of 85-100# for the cows and 75-90# on the heifers. The cattle are also fed fairly well. But I don't like to see the little 60-80# calves out of our cows, and even our heifers I don't want 60-70# calves out of. Those little guys just don't handle the cold and generally don't grow out as quickly.

I've been arguing this point for years. Glad to see someone else on board.

I don't want those little 50-60# dinks either. A waste of time and effort, it seems to me.

I agree with randiliana & MikeC. Heifers & cows should be able to handle a larger calf. If we have one weighing 50-60# we go in looking for another one. Although, I have to admit our B. weights are really down from what they used to be. Our breed in general has really lowered BW. We have lowered WW also, which I really don't like, but calving ease & more moderate size cowherd is worth it to us. I love where most of the breeds are at now a days.
I'm ashamed to admit I haven't run my figures yet to get averages. Will have to do that.

I just ran the data from over the past 5 years. All births, bulls and heifers combined and cow and heifer calvings.
These are the avg BW 72.255, Weaning age 178.49 days, weaning weight 511.89, ADG 2.49
Oops, not all births, only those that we had till weaning.

dun

I used the weight tape on mine yesterday. Average of 488lbs each on four calves; nurse cow put a 2.36 ADG on over 177 days. Best set she's raised for me yet.

Not happy with my weights, but here they are (1/3 of the calves are out of 2 & 3 yr olds so will be adjusted up quite a bit for adjusted 205)
BW on all 88# (included 132# & 128#)
Males: WPDA 2.63 205 day wt 630
Hfrs: WPDA 2.53 205 day wt 602
Total of 27 calves still owned with weights taken 10/1

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1un8bcr1 said:
Not happy with my weights, but here they are (1/3 of the calves are out of 2 & 3 yr olds so will be adjusted up quite a bit for adjusted 205)
BW on all 88# (included 132# & 128#)
Males: WPDA 2.63 205 day wt 630
Hfrs: WPDA 2.53 205 day wt 602
Total of 27 calves still owned with weights taken 10/1

Just curious here Jeane, correct me if I'm wrong, but your numbers looked a little strange to me, so I put a pencil to it and I think I must be confused. You have figured your WPDA like I figure my ADG. I'm not sure who is right or wrong here, so I'm looking for some clarification:

I always thought that WPDA is: WW/ age in days.

The ADG on the other hand, is: (WW - BW)/ age in days.

Anyone have thoughts on which is the right way?

We like to use ADG when comparing within the group as it doesn't give advantages to large BW calves or disadvantages to low BW calves.

Is the pressure being applied to lowering BW also lowering the female pelvic measurment. If so aren't some of these breeds shooting themselves in the foot? I have talked to a lot of people, with much more knowledge then myself, say that this is what's happening within the angus breed. Just wondering others opinions

oakcreekfarms":1i8uk857 said:
Is the pressure being applied to lowering BW also lowering the female pelvic measurment. If so aren't some of these breeds shooting themselves in the foot? I have talked to a lot of people, with much more knowledge then myself, say that this is what's happening within the angus breed. Just wondering others opinions

There are bulls that have low BW and still have daughters with more then adequate pelvic. The single trait selection for BW will bite you in the butt if you don;t pay attention to the other factors. If he's a low BW with sky high WW and YW and used as a terminal bull no harm no foul. It all goes back to having a plan and goal and working towards it. Getting side tracked is a sure way to go around in circles and not get anywhere.

dun

Guess I will throw mine in for comparison and these numbers have several bottle calves in there. A few calves did not have an exact birth rate but were estimated.

BW 85
weaning age avg. 195 days
205 day avg 280#

ADG 2.35

A few of the bottle calves killed my ADG.

El_Putzo, you are correct in the terminoligy. I was calculating 205's so I took BW out of actual weight / by age in days.
Oakcreek - at least in the Simmental breed, we have Maternal Calving Ease EPD. So, IF you use multiple traits in your breeding program, lowering BW has NOT created hard calving cows. But our breed stresses MCE. Actually, we stress CE more than BW. It used to be - if the bull had a great CE than his MCE sucked! but not anymore. Not saying ALL bulls are that way, but we sure have a good selection. So, no, to answer your question.

Latest posts